Good microphone for recording metal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Good microphone for recording metal?

Hello, I'm looking into a microphone in the 100-150$ price range preferably (I can go a bit higher)

I really don't know much about mics, here are some I was considering

Blue yeti ~ Condenser Usb mic 100$

Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser USB Microphone ~ 100$

Shure SM57-LC Cardioid Dynamic Microphone ~ Also 100$

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Good microphone for recording metal?

You can normally find sets of like 5 used SM-57s on **** for around $200. And I'm sure smaller sets cost less.

SM-57 is a classic mic that can be (and has been) used for pretty much everything. Now, there are certainly better mics than it for some things, but it's Outstanding on a Snare or a Guitar Cab and can fake it's way through pretty much everything else atleast halfish decently.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 AM

Reviews: 9

+1 for the Shure SM-57. The cheaper PG-57 is also excellent and produces excellent results. I've been most impressed by the PG-57. It's a steal really. Two PG's for the price of one SM-57, it's a no brainer!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I think i've decided on the Shure SM-57.

Another question I have has to do with getting it to plug into my computer.

Theres 3 ways for me to do this

1. (Cheapest way) Just get a XLR to 1/4 cable, i have a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter already (22$)

2. Get a usb to xlr converter, also need a cable (50$)

3. Line 6 Pod UX2, + a cable (180$ but I'm thinking it may be worth it)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Reviews: 120

I've got a 5m long usb to xlr cable that I bought off e(vil)Bay for about $30AUS. It works quite nicely.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM

i'd go for the toneport.
i have a guitarport and a pod x3 live my self, they're both kinda comparable to the toneport. its great for recording mics, and great for recording guitar and bass, without any mics.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 AM

SM 57 is very good for capturing a good amp tone and stays well within the budget.

Also note that Andy Sneap uses them also for guitars.. Obviously he has a killer set up with amazing mic pres.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm planning to save up for a rode NT-1 condenser mic.

Note to you it's CONDENSER. Wondering if metal should be recorded with a dynamic all the time or is condenser a good choice as well?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznricey View Post
I'm planning to save up for a rode NT-1 condenser mic.

Note to you it's CONDENSER. Wondering if metal should be recorded with a dynamic all the time or is condenser a good choice as well?
That is all up to you, it's all subjective. A dynamic mic can handle high sound pressure level, for loud guitars it's ideal.

Obviously, Condensers are very sensitive they pick up lots of detail. More suited for vocals or acoustic instruments. Too much sound pressure you could risk damaging it. Honestly though always look at the manufacture's notes on it, they usually say what uses they can be used for and check also what the max overload is.

People have used condensers on guitars just research the hell out it. Go to Gearslutz and see what you can find threads on people's thoughs on dynamic vs condensers.

For guitars I would love to try a Sennheiser MD 441 it's up there in price but I want one. It's a like a dynamic mic on steriods.

For the price I read this is good on guitars Sennheiser MD 421 II
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM

best "mic" for recording metal guitar is is called "line out" or "usb"

seriously though, i've been recording with my new pod x3 direct to computer and the sound quality has just amazed me....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454xalucard View Post
Hello, I'm looking into a microphone in the 100-150$ price range preferably (I can go a bit higher)

I really don't know much about mics, here are some I was considering

Blue yeti ~ Condenser Usb mic 100$

Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser USB Microphone ~ 100$

Shure SM57-LC Cardioid Dynamic Microphone ~ Also 100$

Any other suggestions?
For recording metal GUITAR, or is this to be a vocal mic?

If guitar, it's really tough to beat a Shure SM-57 or an Audix i5. Once you get the hang of mic positioning, if you can't make a great sounding recording with one, the fault isn't with the mic.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Hi.
The standard is an on-axis off-center Senn421 paired with an off-axis on-center Shure57. My goto as well. The 421 delivers the bass, the 57 the upper mids (the BITE). The closer the mic to the center, the more treble. Then you blend them to taste.
If I can only pick 1, I choose the 57, point it nearly PARALLEL to the grill, with the diaphragm in the middle of the speaker. This rejects some of the harshness, leaving me with a more full-bodied tone.

If I were BUYING only 1 mic, I'd get the Sennheiser 906 (NOT the 609, mind you). It's a happy medium between the 421 & 57.

Also make sure your distortion is under control. All amps have a distortion threshold that is not to be breached. Turn gain up until tone turns to fizz and then back off, unless you're soloing, then whatever. On my 5150, it's 4.5. Nine tenths of recording is fixing the source!

Post samples when you figure it out. Good luck!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM

..forgot to mention: I would avoid using a condenser. Metal is abrasive enough without needing the detail of a condenser. Also, sometimes their membranes distort (not in a pleasing way) under high SPL. Dynamics can more easily handle what you throw at them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 AM

The beyerdynamic M-88 is a great all round mic and can be thrown into pretty extreme situations - this infront of a cab sounds pretty perfect straight out of the box!

AKG D5 is pretty mega too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode