Good mixing headphones? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Good mixing headphones?

In the coming weeks I'm going to be mixing my EP down. I'm looking to step up significantly from my AKG K44 (which cost about £20) which are great for the money but I really need to be relying on a set that accurately represents all the frequencies as best as possible. No fancy enhancey crap, just best possible quality. I wanna hear as much as humanly possible what's there.

Now, a friend's Beyerdynamic DT770 blew my AKG pair out of the water, but that's £20 more than I remember it being. Does anyone know of any good headphones around the £100 mark that are ace for mixing? Bear in mind I'm pretty much using these in lieu of a decent set of speaker monitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Good mixing headphones?

I know that AKG 240'ss (now replaced with the K 240 MII) was recommend by some of my professors in college (I went to be an audio engineer). Other thought they were a little bass weak and I went with the Beyerdynamics DT770.

AKG 260S is supposed to be better than the 240's but I'm unsure of a price.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

How are you finding your DT770? Pros n' cons?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150-...7263972&sr=8-1

I've got a pair and they're pretty good. For the price you can't beat it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
Now, a friend's Beyerdynamic DT770 blew my AKG pair out of the water, but that's £20 more than I remember it being. Does anyone know of any good headphones around the £100 mark that are ace for mixing? Bear in mind I'm pretty much using these in lieu of a decent set of speaker monitors.
Get a pair of Sony MDR-V6 monitors from the US. They're tried and tested by a multitude of professionals... no fancy crap at all.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 PM

I'm no expert, but isn't it a major no-no to mix with headphones...?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM

No headphones under $500 will sound accurate enough for mixing. Now you CAN "learn" your headphones, in the same way you ;earn your speaker/room combo(even the flattest speaker is not flat in the average room). For neutral sounding phones, the AT D40fs are pretty darn good(but you still need to learn them). The Sony's are very hyped at the lows and highs. I prefer the Sony MDR-V600's. I have a nice set of AT M40fs which are similar to the D40's and wish to sell them so shoot me a message if you want them for $50+shipping. If you REALLY want headphones for mixing, the Sennheiser 600 or the top of the Ultrasone line are about as good as it gets.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
I'm no expert, but isn't it a major no-no to mix with headphones...?
So I was told, but this is a first self-released EP we're talking here, not a professional release. Plus I don't have the privacy (including not disturbing others) to mix down with speakers, let alone the money. In future I'd have someone else mix it. I'm just wanting the best possible headphones this time round.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
So I was told, but this is a first self-released EP we're talking here, not a professional release. Plus I don't have the privacy (including not disturbing others) to mix down with speakers, let alone the money. In future I'd have someone else mix it. I'm just wanting the best possible headphones this time round.
I would still just stick with some good monitors. Check out an M-Audio package on musicians friend.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Like I said, in my current living arrangements, fully blown speakers are antisocial. Not to mention my room has poor acoustics/sound isolation. I could in theory send individual tracks to be mixed but I wish not to this time, so THE QUESTION is what recommendations people can give for good headphones.

I have stumbled across this quite handy article
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...headphones.htm

One day I'll get some good speakers though. Are MA-7A or 15D passable?

Last edited by NeglectedField; 11-06-2009 at 08:46 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM

I have beyerdynamics dt250's and Im very happy with them. Im using them to mix my music but some stuff you just have to listen to it through your monitors.

Maybe this site can help you out:

http://headphones.com.au/

There's a cool forum and info on lots of high end models.

Good luck
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Not trying to be a smartass...but, do you live in a library? (then again, maybe I am being a smart ass )

Anyway, your not supposed to mix at crazy loud volumes.

Also, that's the point in using near field monitors. They are placed close to you so the room dynamics play less of a role.

Whatever you decide...Good Luck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm back with my old folks at the mo. The acoustics travel very far in this house, which is relatively old so there's little 'natural' soundproofing - you can hear lots and I'd have to turn the monitors down to levels below me hearing the important nuances in order not to be heard downstairs.

Mind, if you can recommend any nearfield monitors as well around/under £120 ($200), that'd be great. Preferably ones with adjustable volume (like that Behringer one but not necessarily that one unless you think it's ace) or at least ones I don't need a separate amplifier for.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Any of these would be fine.

Enter the SKU# at MF

$129 per speaker.
602316V

$149 per pair

$99 per speaker
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Just ordered a Grado SR80i pair. Will at the very least be good enough for the calibre of release I'm mixing here. Cheers guys.

Tags
mixing headphones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode