Good Multi Effects with Switching? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Good Multi Effects with Switching?

Hey folks.. I'm contemplating getting into a three piece band, which means I'll need to be able to play a lot of different stuff, and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of pedals and dance on effects. I'd like to be able to get a decent multi effects that has switching capabilities so I can go from a Disgtorted lead to a clean rythem, etc, sound with just one press of the foot switch. I don't want something too expensive though..
I usually just use a delay and a harmonizer for lead, and maybe some reverb. For clean parts some of the time I'll use a chorus, but I try not to use too many effects, but sometimes you have to for a cover song.. So, I need something that's easy to program and save for up to thirty or forty songs and switch easily between them without dancing so to speak on the thing. I'd also like to be able to swtich off single effects or on with ease. I know this is asking a lot, but it seems with all the multi units out there, there has to be something good? I'm going to be using a Peavey Tube amp on the clean channel. A 1 x 12 combo.. and micing it..
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 AM

Re: Good Multi Effects with Switching?

How much money do you have to spend?
What amps and effects do you have now?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Reviews: 6

I would either pick a Line 6 M13 where you can use up to 4 fx at the same time. There is over 100 FX with V2.04 update. Also, you can save up to 48 setting on the board and the progamming is very simple.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Do you need distortion from the unit? If not, I'd look into the TC Electronic G-System. You can even do channel switching on your amp with it. If you do need distortion, and just want to plug it directly in from of the amp, then the Nova System might be better.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
Do you need distortion from the unit? If not, I'd look into the TC Electronic G-System. You can even do channel switching on your amp with it. If you do need distortion, and just want to plug it directly in from of the amp, then the Nova System might be better.
If price is not an issue, the G-System would be best option. It is the most flexible board and great fx. A used G-System is around $800-$1000.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM

I have many effects and multi effects the best for the price is the Boss GT-10. The best multi effect in general is the Axe FX but its crazy expensive.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerful View Post
I have many effects and multi effects the best for the price is the Boss GT-10. The best multi effect in general is the Axe FX but its crazy expensive.
Boss GT10 is not a bad choice either as you can disable the the Amp and used FX only. Axe FX still needs a midi foot controller.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerful View Post
+1

Plus buying a freaking expensive Axe FX only to play covers with a cheap amp = dumbness unless your pockets are "big"

GT-10 has the best amp sims(+ lots of boss pedals), it blows any pod BUT you have to read its manual cause no matter how easy to use it is, there are some tips manual gives you.
Those who don't read it keep saying they couldn't get a good sound out of it.
There are so many options to deal with(manual please) but they buy it, plug it(probably to crap gear) and want instanctly awesome tones no matter where they plugged it and their laziness about reading a manual.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Reviews: 23

If you still have your pedals, I'd recommend the Digitech RP500/1000. While you can easily tweak great sounds with the unit by itself, it would be best to tweak it beside your current pedals rig, in order to emulate better the punch that multis usually lack by default :P
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 AM

Reviews: 2

Just got myself a used tc nova system, still playing wuth it and I only use in the loop. I had a gt 10 in the past and it sucked too much tone imo.

Last edited by Silverburst; 10-17-2012 at 03:05 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm considering actually just going to like three pedals and being done with it.. I think I'll probably never use more than three at a time. I typically use Delay and reverb maybe for lead, and chorus for cleans and rock rythems just to tighten up the sound and to insure the whole chord is heard when using a lot of gain, etc,. But other than the above, the only other pedals I like to use are a harmonizer and from time to time a wah. Not that much though. I also hate thinking about what can happen if they go bad during a jam. Anything in the signal can really bite if it goes dead for some strange reason. I worry about that stuff .. LOL..
Thanks man..
Tim
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:09 PM

If you are worry about the multi pedal failing then just get a Line 6 M13, it can be switch to True-Bypass unlike the Boss GT10. The GT10 can be tone sucking.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 18

What's your budget? What amp are you going to use the MFX through?

Jimmy
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM

Smile Re: Good Multi Effects with Switching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
What's your budget? What amp are you going to use the MFX through?

Jimmy
That's what I asked at the top of the thread???
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I'm wanting to spend 300 or less. I'm going to be playing thru a Peavey 6505..

Tags
multi effects , switching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode