Good solid-state amps (if such a thing exists) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Good solid-state amps (if such a thing exists)

Hello all,
I'm quite a junior guitarist. I've only been playing a year and a half and because of this currently own a Marshall MG30DFX ( Don't laugh please!).
Anyway, I'm currently looking for a good SS amp (cos they're cheap) to use as a power amp with something like a POD. I don't really need it to be loud because I don't play live (anymore, my band chucked me!)
Can anyone suggest some amps that would be good for this purpose?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:29 PM

Well, if you want am amp to use with a Pod, Tech21 makes a Trademark amplifier with no preamp section- it's a 120-watt (I think, that or 60) power amplifier mated to a Trademark 1x12 cab, designed specifically to work with a preamp without coloring it's fundamental sound. They're pretty light, portable, and might be what you're looking for.

Also, while solid state amps are cheaper, they're cheaper for a reason- because they can't quite perform like a real tube amp. Play a few, it might be worth the added cost.

-D
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Cool, that sounds good, do you know of any sites in the UK that sell Tech 21? I'll go look myself in a minute.
I've played through a couple of fender valve amps (twin reissue, hot rod deluxe) and a marshall (JMP50 MkII) at my mates dads (he's a guitar nut) and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto (but that was when I didn't recognise good tone, a year ago.) So i know I like valves but for cost purposes plus the versatility of the POD for recording, Im checking out that stuff just now.

Thanks

Joe
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 03:50 PM

machinehead.co.uk

Rob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 AM

The Tech21 powered cabinet is called the Power Engine 60.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:53 PM

If it's simply as a power amp, you might want to look into bass amps or smaller PA style setups. These are often higher powered than guitar amps, and won't add any coloration (or less at least) to the tone you've already tweaked within the POD.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

yea, my guitar teacher uses a Bass amp, but i didn't really know what to look for in a bass amp so I haven't really looked there. Can you give any advice?
Also, is the Pro worth the extra £100? Portability (?) is important to me. Is the Pro easily transportable?

Thanks

Tags
bass amp , dual recto , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode