Good trade? or am I an idiot? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Good trade? or am I an idiot?

As of about 6-8 months ago life was getting hectic and I really didn't have the time nor drive to play much. I had been out of my old band for a while and just didn't want to play much.

A couple months back I decided that I most likely will not be joining any bands soon and I will just play guitar for myself. I work nights and that makes a band almost impossible. So I figure I can always just jam with some friends and write my own stuff just for me.

After deciding this, I was kicking around the idea of selling my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/1960A half stack. I listed it on here to see if there was any interest and I got a PM from someone wanting to trade me a Vox ad60vtx (1 12' combo) with a vc-12 foot pedal. The amp sells for $700ish (new) and the footswitch is over $200(new). The guy lives pretty close (2-3 hours) and I am heavily considering trading my head for this set up.

I would like an amp modeling amp, be it this or a line 6 flextone III, but I don't think the option to trade it in will come soon. I was considering taking my head to GC and seeing what they will give me, but I'm sure that is a waste of my time.

VOX specs:
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/va...ix/ad60vtx.htm

Questions are:

1.)Is it a fair trade? I know my head goes for $1500 new, which almost tells me it isn't worth it to trade for an amp that is $700+$200(vc12). I played the amp at gc, and I was really impressed.

2.) If I were to join another band, would this 1 12'' amp be enough to practice with and possible play out? I will still have my 1960A cab, but Im not sure if it will work.

3.) Would you do it?

Sorry this is such a long post, but I am confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Gex

Re: Good trade? or am I an idiot?

Sounds like a terrible trade to me.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Would you happen to have any other suggestions? I tried the Line6 flextone III XL, and I really liked it. It goes for $799 though, and I doubt I can get that much for my JCM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 01:50 AM

u will eventualy be sorrie u decided to sell
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:19 AM

I won't sell my stuff away If I were you cos I've notice many my friends including my family sell away their rig and later regret it. It's just an opinion the choice is yours to decide.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 AM

keep the valves!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfingersminion
keep the valves!!!!!!!!!!
I agree
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 AM

Bad trade.

( I just checked out the samples for the vox.... Bad deal! )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:18 AM

Reviews: 34

Keep your stack, and just buy a practice amp.

I bought a Kustom 10w because I couldn't be bothered to mess around with my rack gear all the time, and I have to say that I love it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 AM

yeah, keep the tubes, definitely
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 AM

If you're looking to downsize, think about trading the 4x12 for a more compact 2x12. I'd definitely keep the DSL.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM

it sounds like a decent trade if your just trading the head at my local music store they have 2 Marshall half stacks both tube not the valvestate I think one is a jcm800 with the cabinets used one is $900 and the ohter is $1100.00
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 PM

i would forget the trade and i would NEVER bring stuff to GC....they MIGHT give you 20% of what you want for it.

i would save the money and get that amp if you really like it AND keep your marshall. you will be sorry eventually. i have sat on so much gear cuz i was confused like you. i kept my rig for 5 years and i was not in a band! now i am starting a new band after the 5 year break and i'm sooo glad i kept it. only sell your stuff if you are really really hardpressed for money, and even then, i would get rid of the cab and downsize to the 2X12. i would sell top items such as your amp as a last resort.

i have always had an issue with people wanting to trade. that just really bothers me. to me that's them saying...hey, i got this gear that isn't as good as yours and i can't get rid of it and i want cooler stuff....maybe you'll fall for it and make a deal. ahhhh....sell it or something but never trade unless YOU ARE MAKING A KILLER DEAL.

i would keep the amp at all costs and leave it in the closet in case you need it. save some money and get the amp you are looking at....surf the web...someone is selling one somewhere.

good luck
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM

i personally dont like the dsl but that is a bad trade, the dsl is worth a lot more then the vox, they are alright for messing around but they dont compare to a real tube amp.

If you want something smaller, go ahead and get a smaller tube combo and maybe get a pod xt or simular multieffects unit.

but that isn't a good deal
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
i personally dont like the dsl but that is a bad trade, the dsl is worth a lot more then the vox, they are alright for messing around but they dont compare to a real tube amp.

but that isn't a good deal

My exact thoughts. That dude is trying to stiff you with a **** amp.

Tags
flextone iii , local music store , music store , practice amp , tube amp , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode