Good wah pedals? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Good wah pedals?

I've never messed with effects much before, but after listening to Steve Vai's The Audience is Listening I decided I could make a wah pedal a cool part of my sound. So today I went down to GC and tried a couple: the Bad Horsie 2 and the Crybaby GCB-95. (That was just about all they had...)

Maybe it was my lack of experience, but I couldn't get anywhere close to the sounds I wanted out of those. I imagined that the entire range of pedal motion would be important and you could do slow, deliberate, continuous motions to really make a note scream. But instead it seemed that there was just a tiny spot in the middle of the range that was important, and the only thing that affected the sound was how fast you moved the pedal through that spot. I got sounds like Eric Clapton on the Cocaine solos and Kirk "Not as Good as Reb Beach" Hammett on all his crap, but I couldn't get the expressive, deliberate, single-note-shaping I was after.

Are there any other wah pedals that would get me that sound, or do I just have the wrong impression of what a wah pedal is entirely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Good wah pedals?

The VOX 847 is okay, but I really like the Bad Horsie.

You've got to try it with your own guitar and an amp similar or the same as yours.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 15

+1 for Bad Horsie 2.

Last edited by silverctr; 07-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 AM

Reviews: 10

my two cents - I am a self-confessed wah addict (I have a habit of stepping on that thing almost every time I kick into a solo - not sure if that's a bad habit or not) and I think the mods that Keeley does to the standard cry-baby wah are outstanding with several options within a single wah pedal of mid boost, bass boost and selecting either the mello wah mode or the funk wah mode (plus the blue indicator light is really cool ;o)...you should definitely check it out before you make any final decisions...I bought one and I haven't looked back since...

http://www.robertkeeley.com/products...s-vox-crybaby/
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 AM

Reviews: 120

Bad Horsie 2 is very cool. I love the Ernie Ball Wah too. Great for rock styles.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Reviews: 13

I don't mind a good wah and own one or two. I have the Bad Horsie II (x2), Morley Power Wah, Vox V847, Cry Baby Zakk Wylde Wah and a Standard late 90s Crybaby wah. Each has some really good features. I like the wah sound of the Zakk Wylde with distortion. I like the ease of use of the Morley Bad Horsie (just step and go). However for just a simple, great sounding wah you can't go past the original Crybaby wah.

-Wolfram
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Reviews: 59

I prefer the classic crybaby/vox wahs to the morleys. I like that the morley's have that switchless action, but the particular wah tone you get from the Bad Horsie isn't really my cup of tea. I'd take a look at the Big Bad Wah (Satriani Sig wah) or the 535q as both are very versatile and usually can be found to try out first hand at most music stores. If you're going to buy sight unseen, make sure the store has a good return policy.
It's also worth noting that you will need to work on your wah skills to really get them expressive in the way that Vai, Hammett, Satch, etc. all are able to with their practice.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:46 AM

I've gone through a few wahs and always ended up back with the Dime crybaby.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I've gone through a few wahs and always ended up back with the Dime crybaby.
Yeah awesome wah.
I had one for 2 years and recorded some of my songs with it.
It has a strong wah effect.
Bad horsie doesn't have a strong wah effect, it's a matter of taste, a strong wah or a mellow one, choose the one you prefer

Last edited by 6fingers; 07-14-2012 at 11:50 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 AM

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm loving this bad horsie 2 contour wah...........I've been through quite a few wah pedals, and this is top notch.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 18

The 535Q wins for me.

Jimmy
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Has anyone tried the Cantrell sig cry baby?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Best Wah I ever play, Rocktron Black Cat Moan Wah.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM

i have the kirk wah, satch wah, dimebag wah and a custom audio electronics wah. of the 4 the custom audio is the best choice.

Tags
bad horsie , crybaby , wah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode