Gotoh, Schaller, or Original Floyd Rose? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Gotoh, Schaller, or Original Floyd Rose?

I'm building a guitar and I'm trying to decide which Floyd style bridge to use. I will only use top of the line parts so it looks like my choices are a Gotoh Floyd Rose, Floyd Rose Original, or a Schaller Floyd Rose. I wanted to get some opinions on which is the best and also any good/bad qualities of each and any other experiences people have had with these bridges.

(i'm sure someone will tell me to use and ibanez-trem but seriously I want to go with one of the ones listed.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 07:16 PM

Generally Gotohs are identical to the TRS trems.

Schaller and OFR trems are nearly identical and made in Germany. In fact, The first Floyd Roses were made in Germany by Schaller. Generally these are superior units to the Gotoh units, because they are made with thicker bases out of hardened steel.

~d~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 12:13 AM

Actually, Gotoh's Floyd copy is closer to the Edge trem..

Similar contoured saddles, pop-in arm, locking mechanism for the springs, set screws in the studs, tilted back fine tuners, etc..
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 04:51 PM

Why won't you consider Kahler?

Euph
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 05:11 AM

Original Floyd Rose. Floyd Rose Pro - I don't know why more people don't look into this one because it's more comfortable than the "original".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM

IŽd go with the OFR.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 02:55 PM

From a guy who's done set ups on all of the above, I have to ask, why wouldn't you use an edge or lo-pro?

All points of loving Ibanez aside, there is no better floating trem on the market than the edge or lo-pro edge. Once set up, they are the most accurate trem on the market. And dollar for dollar, the prices between all of them don't vary enough that I would consider one over the other except based on personal experiences.

And, in all honesty, if you are only using top of the line parts, I wouldn't even consider schaller. The Edge/Lo-Pro edge are as top of the line you will find.

Just my opinion.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:44 AM

the lo pro/edge design might be better but the quality of metals are far inferior than that of the OFR.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 03:56 AM

Who cares? I've had just about every floyd on the market over the years, and in no way has the Edge ever let me down.. Tuning staility is as good as an OFR.. Where it's important, the knife edges, the Edge isn't inferior in any way..

It's all about feel.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Amicarelli
the lo pro/edge design might be better but the quality of metals are far inferior than that of the OFR.
Actually, this isn't true - no matter what Ed Roman tries to tell us. The Edge/LoPro have hardened steel knife edges inset in the base of the tremolo, as opposed to the entire base of the tremolo being made of hardened steel. The softer metal in the Edge trems is one of the main reasons these trems are so highly regarded - they aren't as bright as the Original Floyd Rose.

Schaller used to make a version of the OFR that had a brass base with hardened steel knives inset in the base. Those are highly desirable trems as well, because they have awesome tone and sustain for days (a common complaint of OFR-equipped guitars).

Again, it's all ice cream. Play a few guitars with each different tremolo and decide which feels best to you.

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , gotoh floyd rose , pro edge , schaller floyd rose , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode