gotta brag about my tone!! whee hee - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

gotta brag about my tone!! whee hee

There's no point to this post...just to express how happy i am with my setup now!!

Man i'm soo in love with my tone right now i think i could marry it.

After 3 months of playing around with my mesa boogie nomad, i've found that its the sweetest thing i've ever played (and possibly heard). Its also the most versatile amp i've ever played. Get this

I'm in 2 bands at the moment that couldn't be any more different from each other. 1 is a dream theater tribute band, and the other is an experimental jazz/funk band (with a bit of electronic stuff thrown in) - think John Scofield! And the nomad performs amazing for both styles . I posted some JP settings the other day...incase anyone was interested perhaps not as this is the jem forum but they're there for the future.

Its got the high-gain recto slammin' sounds...and also the more rounded phat Mark series sounds. And i've just about found the sweetsposts for them all now. The other cool thing about the amp is that is has the nicest clean sound in existence, and that channel can also break up to bluesy and then flip its switch and the clean channel turns into an outrageous lead channel.

I also recently got a vintage boss ds-1, that i have to say would make any pedal collector need a change of panties. I've tried numerous ds-1's MIJ/MIT/stock/modded blah blah over the last 12 months and have finally hit the mark with this MIJ one. Both warm and biting it gives a nice lead boost (A la vai and co) or can hold its own on the clean channel doing a satriani. Very nice indeed!

Couple this with a chorus and delay and my newly aquired whammy pedal and bam a killer but super-simple setup!

I am so glad i got rid of my rack hunk a junk, and gone tube amp and stompers.

Again sory for ranting on..but i'm finally happy with my tone! I know the quest is never ending. But i've finally got a good base from which to work on!

Yay

Track7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 08:37 AM

Congrats, man! I remember how cool it was when I found my tone...

<flashback>

Okay, so it was only a few months ago, but it's still a flashback... I had been using 2 rack rigs: my main rig was Triaxis/2:90, the backup was Marshall JMP1/Tubeworks. While I liked the tones I got out of both, they were a major pain in the a$$! I couldn't go out for a quick jam session without taking at least 3 pieces of gear (rack, cab, and MIDI controller). At the time, I was playing a lot of big band gigs... there's nothing like bringing a full rack of gear to only use one preset all night! Plus, when the sound guy would say "your distortion sounds are too trebley", then I'd have to adjust a dozen or so presets to get the distortion sound right. Again, it sounded killer, but I think I spent more time hauling things around and tweaking things than actually playing guitar. Still, I'm glad I did the rack rig, because it helped me to zero in on my dream amp tone, and most of the FX I'm using now were all part of my rack rig at some point.

The first thing I did was sell off my Marshall rack, using the money to get a Nomad 45 combo. The other guitar player in my band Naughty Butterspoon was using a Nomad 55, and it was amazing, so I wanted something similar but smaller. I made the Nomad rig, which is basically for backup/practice, pretty simple--I use a Crybaby 535Q and TS9-DX out front and an Alesis Nanoverb in the FX loop for chorus/delay/rotary.

Within a week of getting the Nomad, I was already working on selling off the Triaxis rack to get a Mark IV combo. This rig is a little more complex, but still easily tweakable and quick to set up. I use 2 wahs out front (Crybaby 95Q and Bad Horsie), a Rolls Patchwork to switch amp channels and pedal loops (TS9-DX, CP-9 compressor, Proco Rat 2), and a G-Major in the FX loop, all controlled by a DMC Ground Control. It's still a lot of gear to haul around, but the nice thing is that if I just want to jam or play a big band gig, I can leave the rack and pedalboard at home and only take the amp. Plus, when the sound guy starts giving me [email protected]#$ about my EQ, it only takes a few seconds to change.

Anyway, it took a couple weeks to get the tone I was looking for out of the Mark--I kept reading the manual, writing to other Mark owners asking for their settings, etc. I remember the day I "figured it out"--I had finally found my tone. Yes! I called my girlfriend all excited because I'd found my tone, and she asked me "Is that like finding Jesus or something?"

--B
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:25 AM

Same for me....went from a jammed full rack full of stuff down to a head and some boxes. Simpler, more portable, and chock full of tone. I am still fiddling with my Marshall dialing it in. Picking up a hotplate tonight and that should add to my tone somewhat because I can really begin pushing those power amp tubes more.

Getting rid of all that rack gear was liberating for me. I found a TSL and had some mods done so that it cleans up beautifully even on the lead channel at full gain by just using my volume knob. So I basically have three clean tones, two distortion tones, and a wicked Stevie Ray Vaughn vibe going with the mid boost on the clean channel.

Congrats on your discovery. Now go play, and play loud.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 AM

tone is a killer one day and a b1tch the next. I bought a yamaha dg stomp and run it through a peavey 5150 II. Man i was so pissed off because i just couldn't get the tone i wanted and needed. After days and then little adjustments over weeks whooooo hooooo
it hit me in the face and started to sing. Lovely lovely lovely.

Tags
amp tone , boogie nomad , clean tone , john scofield , marshall jmp , mesa boogie , mesa boogie nomad , midi controller , playing guitar , power amp , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , tube amp , versatile amp , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode