Gravity picks - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Gravity picks

Before I go on, here is some backstory. There is this great new company in California making handmade picks, I was on a deal to get some samples. here is the website http://www.gravitypicks.com/ . here we go:

I received mine today, and I've got to say, they are awesome!!!!! I got A 1.5 Classic mini and a (very awesome green) 3mm Striker mini. I could hardly wait to try them once I got my hands on them, I have been a huge fan of the ultex jazz III picks (I've got about 80) - I try to keep an objective mind, but really, these blow the Ultex jazz IIIs out of the water!!!! I never knew how thin the ultex picks sounded, and in contrast, the gravity's sound HUGE, extremely clear, powerful, punchy and articulate!! I never knew a pick could be so comfortably either! Both the 3mm striker and 1.5mm classic mini sat very well in my hand, the minis are the same size as jazz IIIs, and actually are a little more comfy to me. These picks have slight bevels to the tips, and the attack is so smooth, I can hardly tell i'm even picking, that smooth! Even though the picks look very glossy, the grip surprising well, and don't get slippery when you sweat! I know it's kinda corny, but it matters to me: the logo is engraved, so it doesn't rub off, also makes it grip better!

All in all, I am very impressed by this pick and could not believe how much difference a change in picks made! If you buy one, you will not be disappointed! I am definitely moving to these and would recommend them to anybody!

So, just try one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Gravity picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Before I go on, here is some backstory. There is this great new company in California making handmade picks, I was on a deal to get some samples. here is the website http://www.gravitypicks.com/ . here we go:

I received mine today, and I've got to say, they are awesome!!!!! I got A 1.5 Classic mini and a (very awesome green) 3mm Striker mini. I could hardly wait to try them once I got my hands on them, I have been a huge fan of the ultex jazz III picks (I've got about 80) - I try to keep an objective mind, but really, these blow the Ultex jazz IIIs out of the water!!!! I never knew how thin the ultex picks sounded, and in contrast, the gravity's sound HUGE, extremely clear, powerful, punchy and articulate!! I never knew a pick could be so comfortably either! Both the 3mm striker and 1.5mm classic mini sat very well in my hand, the minis are the same size as jazz IIIs, and actually are a little more comfy to me. These picks have slight bevels to the tips, and the attack is so smooth, I can hardly tell i'm even picking, that smooth! Even though the picks look very glossy, the grip surprising well, and don't get slippery when you sweat! I know it's kinda corny, but it matters to me: the logo is engraved, so it doesn't rub off, also makes it grip better!

All in all, I am very impressed by this pick and could not believe how much difference a change in picks made! If you buy one, you will not be disappointed! I am definitely moving to these and would recommend them to anybody!

So, just try one!
$3.99 for a single pick!

$10.99 for a pick with a grip!

I may be out of touch, but doesn't that sound excessive?

Any chance you could post a vid of the comparison between these and normal picks? If they are as good as you say I'd happily give some a go.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 AM

Reviews: 14

They appear to similar to V-Picks, being acrylic. The acrylic picks cost more, but they do last much longer. One should also be able to choose thickness, shape and bevel texture to suit their playing style. I can't speak for Gravity, but I do have two V-Picks I like well.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 AM

Reviews: 2

I got razer mini 3mm. It's supposed to be jazz III style and it's a thing beauty.

As far as being better than jazz III (which costs 1/10th of the price) I'll give it few more days to get used to, so I can give an educated verdict
Cheers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
$3.99 for a single pick!

$10.99 for a pick with a grip!

I may be out of touch, but doesn't that sound excessive?

Any chance you could post a vid of the comparison between these and normal picks? If they are as good as you say I'd happily give some a go.
Yeah, it is a bit much. but still, they're only 1/5th the price of redbear picks !!! As far as videos, I don't have the right equipment for any quality videos i'm afraid :-/ .

You might be able to contact the guy (Chris) to get a sample, though.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 PM

I've got one coming to me to review so I'll chime in whenever it gets here (stupid postal strike...at least it's finally over).

I've been using V-Picks for about 2 years now and the big ass expensive ones so these will have some stiff competition compared to normal picks.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Here's my Review:

The pick (Razer XL 3.0mm) is a fantastic pick. In every way.

However, I find it has the same probably every conventionally shaped pic has. Top heavy with no weight to the picking end of the pick to help pull you though. So I'm unfortunately sticking with my Psycho Shredder.

I want to make this absolutely clear, aside from the shape and thickness I think the Gravity pick is superior to the V pick in every way:

1. Grip is vastly superior. Even after 4 hours of sweating in my tiny (2nd bedroom of a 2 bedroom apartment) music room with the band and all our gear on the grip was just as good. It literally stuck to my fingers despite the sweat. Unbelievable.

2. Colours. That's a huge deal to me. I know it's lame, but I use my fancy DR Neon Strings, I play flashy guitars (instead of black) I like showy straps blah blah blah. A pic that goes with this is icing on the cake.

3. Build Quality. Okay...they're pretty even here. But having even build quality with V-Picks is ****ing insane. Smooth yet sharp edges, clean even lines, etc etc. Much better than the Jazz IIIs I was using before jumping into the V-Picks.

4. Price. This is $5 pick that makes me want to switch from my $15 pick. I think that says a lot right there. The prices on these pick are fantastic for the quality.It has all the same tone benefits of other acrylic picks and the extra sustain and volume associated with picks with more mass. It's a fantastic pick and I'll be recommending them to everybody I know plus my students.

Basically if I could get the Psycho Shredder shape from Gravity Picks I'd be using them right now.

Basically:
Objectively= Outstanding Pick!
Subjectively= It's great but not quite for me unfortunately!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 AM

Reviews: 120

I got a bunch of these in the mail today. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey, some good news! This week they just released 3 new shapes! One of these new models is called the "edge", and I'm sure it's right up AxeHappy's league!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM

I'll have to try this out! I really prefer the tortex jazz III over the regular ones, but I do notice a change in attack tonality.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 PM

My curiosity got the better of me and I ended up ordering a couple to try out. The "edge" is what finally got me . I also ordered some V-Picks to try out as well.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM

These picks are awesome! I've now tried out 8-9 of them (I couldn't stop ordering more...) and settled on the 3mm Edge XL and 3mm Stealth XL (not released yet). I plan on doing an official review soon but just in case anyone was curious these are definitely top notch picks and Chris is awesome to deal with and ships really fast.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 11

my opinion? a picks a pick. anything thats a medium or thicker sounds the same to me. well, sharps sound different as well but other than that, yea. theyre all the same to me
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZRG1527prestige View Post
my opinion? a picks a pick. anything thats a medium or thicker sounds the same to me. well, sharps sound different as well but other than that, yea. theyre all the same to me
I used to think that way but I can definitely hear the difference with thickness and texture change now. I'll try to do a recording soon if I can find the time.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:23 PM

I wish they have 1.0 mm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode