Gripmaster - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 182
Gripmaster

Anbody using the gripmaster? I picked one up the other day for ****s and giggles.
mr.death is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:18 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,798
Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Gripmaster

It is great!!! but use it with caution! I used to carry it around all over the place and fooled around with it but I got tendonitis due to overuse!!!
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: southern england
Posts: 664
Re: Gripmaster

i've got a blue one somewhere as i'm a sucker for a gadget. i try to use it to get my little finger stronger.but i allways lose it. yikes
projectjem is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,559
Re: Gripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
It is great!!! but use it with caution! I used to carry it around all over the place and fooled around with it but I got tendonitis due to overuse!!!
+1

too easy to overuse and actually cause damage!
wilch is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Gripmaster

mmmmm tendonitus.. couldnt live without it.. had it for 2 years now..... STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH is all i can say.. and another comment would be : the best way to help an injury is to form muscle around it...

lower back problems --- do lots of core and back

(this was advised by a professional)
shogun is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,798
Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Gripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
mmmmm tendonitus.. couldnt live without it.. had it for 2 years now..... STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH is all i can say.. and another comment would be : the best way to help an injury is to form muscle around it...

lower back problems --- do lots of core and back

(this was advised by a professional)
Any piece of exercise equipment if abused will cause injury regardless of age or muscle build!!! So keep streching and see what happens...
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Gripmaster

im not disagreeing with that.. thats why I got tendonitus, excessive guitar + excessive weight lifting + being small boned = oh dear....

stretching is soooo important, especially if you are a shredder.. If i had listened to the john petrucci rock discipline videos and took him serious when he showed the stretches, i WOULD NOT have tendonitus.. look at the angle of your wrist when you play guitar-- think of it as if you had ur leg raised up perpendicular with ur spine.. do that for x hours a day.. causes tightness and knots, makes you more prone to injuries.. its bad stuff i tell ya!
shogun is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Gripmaster

did yours go away olie? or is it still there..

mine is 'under control' ... im not sure that it will ever completely go away.. i go to massage therapy when it gets bad.. and i try to every month or 2 just to keep things loosened up.. the less i play guitar, the less i get pain.. i also use therapeutic bracelets, they make a huge difference.. i went to a physio therapist before i went to massage--- he worked on the joints which have little to do with tendonitis (its obviously inflaming of the tendons).. it did nothing, he gave me weight excercises to strengthen my wrists when my wrists were still VERY SORE.. #1 rule= dont stress the part that is sore, i.e. take it easy for a while before you start to develop muscle..

you're case is different because it sounds like it was caused from the workout, and not excessive guitar..
shogun is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,798
Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Gripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
im not disagreeing with that.. thats why I got tendonitus, excessive guitar + excessive weight lifting + being small boned = oh dear....

stretching is soooo important, especially if you are a shredder.. If i had listened to the john petrucci rock discipline videos and took him serious when he showed the stretches, i WOULD NOT have tendonitus.. look at the angle of your wrist when you play guitar-- think of it as if you had ur leg raised up perpendicular with ur spine.. do that for x hours a day.. causes tightness and knots, makes you more prone to injuries.. its bad stuff i tell ya!
Ok good! I'm glad you see it the right way, it's for your own sake!!!
I was dumb enough to overdo it in my younger years and now I regret it!
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 182
Re: Gripmaster

God info guys, I'll keep my workouts short with my Gripmaster.
mr.death is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,798
Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Gripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
did yours go away olie? or is it still there..

mine is 'under control' ... im not sure that it will ever completely go away.. i go to massage therapy when it gets bad.. and i try to every month or 2 just to keep things loosened up.. the less i play guitar, the less i get pain.. i also use therapeutic bracelets, they make a huge difference.. i went to a physio therapist before i went to massage--- he worked on the joints which have little to do with tendonitis (its obviously inflaming of the tendons).. it did nothing, he gave me weight excercises to strengthen my wrists when my wrists were still VERY SORE.. #1 rule= dont stress the part that is sore, i.e. take it easy for a while before you start to develop muscle..

you're case is different because it sounds like it was caused from the workout, and not excessive guitar..
I still get flare ups every now and then, specially, when I do serious wood shedding. But funny you mentioned Petrucci because I learnt a lot from that video about warming up properly, playing wiithout tension and cooling off after rigorous playing!!! I do not wear the band because it hurts my wrist so I can't stand it for long but I do a lot of deep tissue massage therapy I learnt from an old Martial artist that has since unfortunately passed away!
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Gripmaster

sorry to hear he passed away man.. massage therapy is good for you even if you don't THINK you have any injuries.. it can prevent a lot of future problems.. I train BJJ n love all Martial Arts btw.. Best of luck to your wrists in the future
shogun is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL:The Windy City
Posts: 2,798
Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Gripmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
sorry to hear he passed away man.. massage therapy is good for you even if you don't THINK you have any injuries.. it can prevent a lot of future problems.. I train BJJ n love all Martial Arts btw.. Best of luck to your wrists in the future
Thanks! Massage is one of the best cures/prevention for injuries!!!
Exercise and training will keep you healthy and your muscles strong and supple!
OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 325
Re: Gripmaster

Just an FYI.

My at one time very bad tendonitis and wrist pains completely went away.

At one point the pain extended to my lower back and across my shoulders, and you could feel the knots of muscles. When it got very bad I couldn't walk cool no more, and the pain in my wrists was very sharp.

Cause? Bad posture while sitting working at a computer for 10-12 hours a day and exercising hard on guitar. Having played solidly 1-3 hours a day from the age of 7 up to the age of 22 or so.

Solution?

2 sessions with a good osteopath got my back sorted to a point I could start recovery. It pointed out things about my posture I would not have noticed. I would suggest starting with your back regardless of where your pain is. Good posture transmits benefits across your body. And if you ignore it, like I did, it will spread to your back anyway.

I bought a $1000 ergonomic chair fitted to me. If I spend 50-60 hours a week on the thing, it better be good.

I have taken cod liver oil daily for over 5 years now. Don't like fish, but oily fish is meant to be good and really helped a mate of mine with arthritis.

I bought a zero-impact keyboard, its just a touch-sensitive thing. While things were bad, I swapped mice and other pointing devices from the left to the right hand regularly, but now I can use a normal mouse and keyboard fine.

Back stretches taught to me by an osteopath. I did these daily for years, but less often now.

Almost complete absence from guitar playing for a while, and then working with the Jamie Andreas book and concentrating on better posture.

I think thats it. I'm no worse than anybody else now; sometimes I get a little sore here and there but my ability to recognise, compensate and self-cure is a lot better.
Jamie is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,525
Re: Gripmaster

posture means a lot, i also take cod and halibut liver oil.
shogun is offline  
Reply

Tags
guitar playing , john petrucci

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome