Ground Control experts--help w/ simple question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Ground Control experts--help w/ simple question

I recently sold my DMC Ground Control, advertised it as v1.0 software, which could be upgraded through DMC. The person I sold it to is complaining as follows:

Quote:
The software version is not V1.0 , but V1.00 which must be sent and hand upgraded at Digital Music in Califiornia. V1.0 is eprom upgradeable , by the user. This process with shipping run me 72.00 instead of 30.
Does anybody know if this is a legitimate difference (between 1.0 and 1.00)? I swear that when I turned mine on it said "Version 1.0" in the display, but can't check since it's no longer here. I did, however, check another Ground Control which read "Version 2.4" in the display (not "Version 2.40"). I just find it hard to believe that there would be a version 1.0 and 1.00 out on the market with such a significant difference.

(Interestingly, had he asked me prior to buying it, I could've told him it would've cost $72 for the upgrade because I'd already asked DMC about it once.)

I'm also following up with the folks at DMC, but they're sometimes a little slow to respond, so I figured I'd check with the GC users here for some perspective.

Thanks!!!
--Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:15 PM

Hi,

The buyer may be right. It depends on how old your ground controller was...I had one of the real old models, and to upgrade it I would have had to ship it in, if I remember correctly. It however disappeared, and was replaced with a newer model so I didn' have to worry about it. Sorry I can not confirm, but if my memory serves, this information does sound correct, but I could be wrong...hmm not much help eh? good luck Tobe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:12 PM

That sounds like BS to me.
I sent one of my GCX switchers to them and they modded it for stereo loops for $35 including shipping w/ insurance.
I don't know about the 1.0 vs. 1.00, I've never heard of that.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, I think the guy who bought it from me is full of it. Below are the e-mails I've exchanged with the folks at DMC. Looks like there is no difference between the 1.0 and 1.00. I'm betting that after the guy bought it from me, he found out how much it would be to upgrade, and tried to pass a BS story off on me so he could return it.

Granted, it's partly "my bad" for listing it as v1.0 to begin with, but c'mon now. 1.0 = 1.00 is pretty basic math, right?

--B

Quote:
Hello again Sir,

No. Whoever listed their GC as "Version 1.0" has simply omitted one digit. There is no such thing as "Version 1.0" It is not clear which version that one actually is. They need to clarify what they mean. It could be anything from 1.00 on up to the last incarnation of the version 1 software.

"Brent J. Duersch" wrote:

> Thanks! Does this mean version 1.0 and 1.00 are the same in terms of
> upgrades?
>
> Thanks,
> --Brent
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
> Hello Sir,
>
> If your Ground Control is version 1.01 or higher, you can purchase a
> software update to version 2.5 for $30.00 and the memory expansion
> upgrade for an additional $20.00, in the form of Eprom chips which you
> can easily install. If your Ground Control is version 2.4, you can
> purchase the memory expansion upgrade and get the 2.5 software at no
> additional charge. If your Ground Control is the earliest version
> (1.00) it must return to the factory to be updated, and there will be
> an additional charge of $35.00 labor plus return freight. Call us at
> 800 986 6696 between 9A and 5P Pacific Time M-F to order.
>
>
>
> "Brent J. Duersch" wrote:
>
> > I was looking at used Ground Control units, and noticed that some
> > were listed as software v1.0, others as software v1.00. Is there
> > really any difference between the two? Does it impact the
> > upgradability?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Brent
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 05:11 PM

no, you're in the right. had he called dmc before buying it they would have told him the upgrade for $30 was for version 1.1 and above, but that 1.0 (or 1.00) required him to send it in and runs around $70....that's what they told me. i too bought one without knowing there was a difference, but just figured that it was a lesson learned--i should have been more thorough in my research. of course rather than get the upgrade done, i just decided to upgrade the whole shebang and get the ground control pro...(i'm not a fan of the original's flat pedals-i like the metal switches, they're what i was used to with my johnson millenium controller)

so yeah, you were honest, its not like you said it was a version 1.2 or whatever when it wasn't. but you may want to see if you can work something out with him, maybe send him a bit back-cover his shipping or something-as a goodwill gesture. or don't. it all depends on how kind of a seller you want to be.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I worked out a deal with him... since it was about $40 extra to have a v1.00 upgraded compared to a v1.1, I split the difference with him. He's happy, I'm happy, we're all happy!

--B
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 01:54 PM

good for you!!! that was very kind!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:31 PM

I wanted to resurrect this thread, because I just bought a v1.0 Ground Control.

What are the differences in the versions? And the only way to get it upgraded is to send it in?

Tags
johnson millenium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode