Guess what? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Guess what?

guess what?

yep, I need some more help!

Ok, this one's just out of curiosity... I was talking to a guy about some old yamaha monitors that are supposed to be really popular.

NS-10M?

How easy are these to get a hold of these days if at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 04:09 PM

Welp... The big part of their sound was the woofers Yamaha used in them... And the trees (wood pulp) they made the drivers are now -- extinct! So, yup... You're gonna pay more for em' nowadays.

The NS-10M was officially discontinued 2-3 years ago and its last selling price was $399.99US - $429.99USnew for the pair. Use your judgement on what is a fair price for one. And if you do get a pair, use them with a top notch clean power amp so you don't risk blowing the irreplaceable drivers. But just so ya know -- they aren't good sounding speakers. They had sloppy, boxy low end and grainy highs. But they've been around forever and alot of engineers have gotten used to them and know how to compensate for their flaws. Most common reason for using these things is -- if a mix sounds good on them, it'll sound good on anything!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

hehehe lol...

I'm also looking at Tannoy monitors, which are meant to be quite a safe purchase. Basically, I've been told to take a serious look at the Alesis RA line of power amps, especially the RA300, so basically, I'm looking for a nice set of modestly priced monitors now to go with it. (being around the £250-£350 area )
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 07:22 PM

Finding the right monitors isn't easy (unless you have an unlimited budget of course!) And unfortunately, listening tests in a music store might not tell you much either -- my dumb ears have in the past gravitated towards the monitor with the highest sound pressure level or the most high/low-end presence in a side by side test, even if it is not the most accurate or cleanest.

For what its worth, I've heard those red Tannoy's (forget the model) are probably one of the best values out there. I got away with abusing an old pair of that speaker's bass-lacking predecessor, the PBM6.5, for a long time. Event PB8's are in that range too -- but for me they were hard to mix on, seemed like the lows and highs were exagerated and there were holes in the mids or something... I dunno, IMHO the Tannoy's would probably serve you well in the long run (moreso than the NS-10M's at least, especially since your ear isn't "tuned" to them yet!)

Maybe it doesn't even matter -- JEM's probably sound great played back through all of them!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

hehehe you're just like me then!?

luckily for me, I'm quite a rapid learner... so I tend to pick up on things pretty quickly... Which is why I post questions on jemsite, because asking people who are generally in the 'know' just accelerates the learning process even more!

cheers for the help mate
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 04:23 AM

When I bought my blue (active) Tannoy's I compared them to the passive ones (with a standard amp driving them) and liked the blue a little more.

In the end, it all comes down to your ears.

Cheers,
Harry.

Tags
music store , power amp , power amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode