And guess what, I've bought myself a PODxt - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

And guess what, I've bought myself a PODxt

There, I said it.

My impressions are:
1. It still isn't good for headphone practicing (sounds like crap throgh headphones, but then what doesn't?).
2. Plugged into a tube power amp and cabinet and properly tweaked it sounds pretty impressive (and that's a BIG praise from me). In fact I started thinking about building a low-power (1.5W per channel) stereo power amp for it. If someone else played the guitar (and thus I only would hear the sound, without feeling the response of the amp), I'd say that I hear a freakin' tube amp!

So far I've rehearsed it with two amps. Egnater TOL100 (plugged into effect return) and a tiny one-tube power amp I built myself. The cab was Mesa widebody three-quarterback with EVM12L speaker. The key to good sound with PODxt is that it doesn't sound as good as it can at low volumes. You don't have to crank it, though, you just need to keep it reasonably loud.

Still no match for a real tube amp, but this one is a keeper. Thanks to "Line 6 agents" for making me buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:21 AM

Glad to see you actually dig some aspects of the PodXT.
After I bought my PodXT, I sold my tube amp. Of course, I have always liked tube and solid state pretty equally. The PodXT just made it so I don't have to lug around a bunch of gear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 03:40 AM

It's strange that you think it sounds crap with headphones. After all that's one of the biggest aspects why one would buy that sort of thing. Perhaps you need better headphones... I use some crappy wireless headphones and it still sounds decent. But when I tried some AKG phones of my g/f's brother I was stunned. I actually thought I was in a room with an old Vox AC30 or Marshall or what have you. Just try different headphones... But it's good that you still wanna keep it

Fabe
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

I can't buy better headphones because there are none. I've tried it with Sennheiser HD580 - open air, ruler flat frequency response from something like 5 hz to 30KHz. Maybe I should buy a crappy pair of headphones for it which would cut down on extreme treble. Even with presence turned down completely and the mellowest cab and mic it's just too harsh and plasticy sounding in headphones. Funny thing is, none of it is heard through a real tube power amp. I wonder why they don't advertise this setup as the "second best" (after direct PA, which I have yet to try).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 05:04 AM

Strange, maybe my ears are just too screwed up already ... But I only have the POD 2 and so I can't really compare... Well at least it's working good with your amp, that would be my main criteria.

Fabe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 10:55 AM

Read the manual. For something like this you wouldnt want studio headphones. You shouldnt have a super wide frequency responce. You need something good but for regular listening.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:06 PM

microdmitry,
When using the headphones, are you auditioning some different cab models to combine with your existing sounds? That's a big difference; making sound patches that are good through power amp/speakers will tend to sound rather shrill though the 'phones, even though the AIR comes on automatically with the 'phone jack engaged.
Try different cab models in that situation; if you haven't tried this, I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've tried everything there is. Nothing brings me even close to the tone of PODxt JMP-1 model running with no mic an no cab through Egnater TOL100 effect loop into Mesa three-quarterback. Or my another favorite - MarkIIC+ with ProCo Rat in front of it, again, no cab, no mic.

Tags
egnater tol , power amp , tube amp , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode