Guitar Center, opinions? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Guitar Center, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos731 View Post
(in Rod Serling voice)
Picture, if you will, a man with his new toy. By all accounts, this man and his guitar should have been forgotten by the sales clerk at the local guitar mega-mart, like shadows fading into some unknown dawn. But this man's name, through whatever eerie machinations, has appeared on a very special list (*cough cough*)...his name and phone number have appeared on the follow-up call list...in the Twilight Zone...

Very good...the funny thing is, years ago the follow up call was an important part of the business, but more and more salesmen don't do it, in any industry. I bought my Jem 20 from GC in East Brunswick, NJ, and didn't get a follow up call. $400.00 Parkwood and I get the the call...Go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Re: Guitar Center, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post

Very good...the funny thing is, years ago the follow up call was an important part of the business, but more and more salesmen don't do it, in any industry. I bought my Jem 20 from GC in East Brunswick, NJ, and didn't get a follow up call. $400.00 Parkwood and I get the the call...Go figure...
That's crazy haha. I guess there exists a Guitar Center that hires employees who actually care a little bit. Most certainly the exception rather than the rule.

And to the other poster, hilarious story with the Sonic Stomp. Such a typical Guitar Center experience. They'll try to ram you in the ass any way they can.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM

I love Guitar Center. Great place to pick up a few miscellaneous items, strings, straps, cords. And research what you want to buy somewhere else.

The sales clerks are like Headbanging stewardesses. Dude, get me a pick. Dude, this cord isn't working, fetch me another one. Dude, get that Jem down for me. I can't remember ever going into one and having questions to ask the dude. I've typically done my research and am there to buy, or there to use my ears to confirm my research. Try out a few pedals. My ears have changed my mind on things I researched and thought I wanted. I'm typically an impulse buyer, so unless the difference in price is substantial, I'll buy pedals right there. But I'd never buy a wall hanger from GC.

I was in there a few weeks ago and they had a JS1200. Now, I had already sent Rich my cash, and was waiting on delivery, but I couldn't resist playing this thing. It was criminal they way it was set-up. It just reconfirmed that spending my money elsewhere was the right decision. It also made playing mine for the first time so much better, as it was light years apart from what I had played just a week earlier.
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLG421 View Post
I love Guitar Center. Great place to pick up a few miscellaneous items, strings, straps, cords. And research what you want to buy somewhere else.

The sales clerks are like Headbanging stewardesses. Dude, get me a pick. Dude, this cord isn't working, fetch me another one. Dude, get that Jem down for me. I can't remember ever going into one and having questions to ask the dude. I've typically done my research and am there to buy, or there to use my ears to confirm my research. Try out a few pedals. My ears have changed my mind on things I researched and thought I wanted. I'm typically an impulse buyer, so unless the difference in price is substantial, I'll buy pedals right there. But I'd never buy a wall hanger from GC.

I was in there a few weeks ago and they had a JS1200. Now, I had already sent Rich my cash, and was waiting on delivery, but I couldn't resist playing this thing. It was criminal they way it was set-up. It just reconfirmed that spending my money elsewhere was the right decision. It also made playing mine for the first time so much better, as it was light years apart from what I had played just a week earlier.
Right, most experienced buyers and players dont tend to have many questions, but what about someone who's just starting? Those are the people that are on guitar centers short list of folks to screw, simply because it's easy to tell them anything you want them to believe...because they simply dont know better. Nowadays its better because theres been a really sharp increase in the amount of people researching and buying online, but every time ive walked into a guitar center i've seen at least one person on the verge of getting royally screwed. Usually I take them aside when the employee leaves and point out the bullsh*t: "No dude, the squier is not the best guitar you can buy for under 400 dollars". But obviously ive only been to guitar center a few times and i'm sure countless amounts of people get screwed every day. With any store its buyer beware, but more than any ive ever seen before (most) Guitar Centers seem hell bent to bend you over.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 PM

But isn't that just like a Car salesman? If you expect him to know everything about all cars and take his word as gold, you'll be rolling in AMC Pacer with 200,000 miles.

So if you want to say Guitar Center is the Automotive business model of the music world, I'll certainly agree to that.

Do people get screwed? Sure. Do I? Maybe, but If I did, I'm too dumb to know it.

But like any walk of life, If you have no one to ask for advice, and are winging it on the knowledge of the sales guy, bad things are destined for you in life. Getting screwed at Guitar Center is probably stage one.
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
HSH

Quote:
But I'd never buy a wall hanger from GC.
I might have bought a Deluxe Players Strat, had the strings not been an inch off the fboard. Couldn't get an idea about it, didn't want to take it home, set it up myself, then have to return it. Mom and Pop stores usually will provide an initial setup (Rich, you da man!), GC just wipes 'em down and sticks 'em on the wall, no inspection, no setup, etc. I agree with you.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I guess from that standpoint they really do a dis-service to themselves, the manufacturers, and the Noobs.

If I didn't know any better, I'd never have bought a JS, based on my experience with one at their store.

So I guess they're the devil you know. I don't mind them, because I use them for convenience, but I can certainly see they screw job aspect they have on kids.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Guitar Center, opinions?

Quote:
So I guess they're the devil you know.
Yeah but aren't all metal heads into the devil?

Just kidding!! This is not a religious post!!!
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 PM
HSH

Quote:
I use them
A friend's music store went out of business because people would come in, try the stuff, then buy it online at MF or GC. He's now a truck driver, but does electronics repair on the side. He, at one time, was THE Peavey/Fender/Roland repair guy for all of West TN! This guy can build a tube amp from scratch (working on a design now.)

I now go to GC to try stuff, then buy it from one of a couple of friend-owned stores, even though they're 87 miles away. (Mom lives in that town, so I'm there from time to time anyway, but I get good service and no BS sales crap.) They know me personally, as I used to teach guitar at the one store they all used to work at together before they all went and opened their own stores, so it's a good thing. Usually get a good price, to boot.

There's a larger issue, too, for me. I'm tired of going to a new town, and all the stuff there is exactly what I left in my town - GC, Best Buy, Logan's Roadhouse, O Charlies, Outback, McD, Wendy's, BK, Target, Wal Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot, etc. All of the chains, every town looks the same, same signs, same limited choices. Support your local privately owned stores and restaurants!!

Sorry, not trying to get too far off base....
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantesstudio View Post
Ya, thats right he said his wife was refinishing the neck on one of his Jems so that would make since that you would be on a forum like this. I forgot his name but i remeber his band name, Ghost Circus. They are pretty rad. Ya hes a great guy, he definatly loves every aspect of music. I love the guitar he sold me i have already taken it to a few jazz clinics its a pretty all around guitar.
Yep, that's him! I hear about everyone who buys any of the Ibanez stuff from him. I'm working on a lot of his guitars at the moment, but thankfully the Jems need very little work. Mostly I just keep em clean and put strings on the Jems. Everything else I get to tear apart and refinish!

I'm sure there are tons of GC employees who totally suck. But Chris not only takes time to find what a customer wants, he also tries to answer everything for them. He's even brought a customer who bought a Jem to our house so he could do a full setup on it and have me make sure it was perfectly clean and in great working order. He busts his butt to keep all of the guitars in his section clean, in tune, with nuts locked, and the highest priced stuff out of reach from the hordes of teenagers who just want to **** around without any idea what they are doing. If anyone wants to buy something from GC just come to (or call) the Nashville GC and talk to Chris Brown. He and several of the guys there aren't at all like any of the horror stories above, you just gotta know who to talk to.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 3

i dont like it. all the instuments on the shelves are in bad condition. they dont have a very good selection and the people there are idiots. i go in there and correct them on stuff theyre trying to sell to me. it should work that way. and if youve ever heard any of the employes play, theyre not too good
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSH View Post

There's a larger issue, too, for me. I'm tired of going to a new town, and all the stuff there is exactly what I left in my town - GC, Best Buy, Logan's Roadhouse, O Charlies, Outback, McD, Wendy's, BK, Target, Wal Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot, etc. All of the chains, every town looks the same, same signs, same limited choices. Support your local privately owned stores and restaurants!!

You could rebrand this thread "<Insert Chain Listed above>, opinions? and have an almost identical conversation. Sad, really. The Music store I bought my Jem from in '87 is still in business across the street for Guitar Center, but their stock is so limited it's quite sad to go in there. I tried to remain loyal for years, but I broke down myself with the lure of their stock. And in fact, it was a qualified salesman who pushed me towards the Jem. I'd be posting at Charvelsite if it wasn't for him.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repner View Post
Strangely it doesn't seem as bad here. In fact the people in Merchant City Music (Glasgow) are always very down to earth. Great service as well.

I don't know much about Soundcontrol or Guitar Guitar though. I only go there from time to time. They seem to be more of the "store chain" type
I love the Merchy. Great wee place.

Soundcontrol is the Uk's version of Guitar centre. Same crap and horror stories that some people in this thread have said about Guitar Centre.

Tags
acoustic amp , allen wrench , allen wrenches , bbe sonic , bbe sonic stomp , dimarzio pickup , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , fret level , kettner switchblade , local luthier , prs mccarty , rod wrench , roland cube , sonic stomp , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode