Guitar Center - your opinion? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM

Re: Guitar Center - your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
I prefer going to their stores instead. great GC in Plymouth Meeting and a decent one in Cherry Hill. For online purchases, I normally go with m-usiciansfriend
I must live close to you. I go to plymout meeting all the time.

Personally the guys in guitar center I've found to be total morons (especially when it comes to Ibanez guitars)

But It's a great place for trying out gear. Especially amps (wide variety)

But yeah I usually end up thrown out. Sam ash more than guitar center because they're dumber (but they have a bigger Ibanez selection)

and no offense but why play a Ibanez amp. I've never found them to be very good. Thermion is ok but far from great (played one at sam ash)

Then I switched to a 5150. SOme noob was cranking a mrashall mg (world's worst amp imo) next to me to be heard over me. SO I rolled down the volume knob cranked the 5150 tooks ome steps behind it and cranked the volume knob and played the final mr crowley solo. The noob ran out of the store and I wasn't allowed back in for like 2 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM

I am not a Guitar Center fan. They are all about eliminating small guitar shops. Gibson caters to them and have made it impossible for a small music store to carry their line because they set the amount of inventor you have to buy annually is so high it won't all sell. Actually, Ibanez is about the best line we ever carried as far as quality of product, sales stats, and Hoshino was great to work with. Back to Guitar Center, clueless employees that just want to sell a guitar/amp versus the right guitar/amp for the customer. I sum it up by saying Guitar Center is so not rock n' roll.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'd ask for my $9.99 back.
Harsh.

Harsh but fair.
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Harsh.

Harsh but fair.
How do you guys figure? I got a multi-effects pedal for $10. I couldn't buy one stomp box for that price. Granted I barely know how to use the thing, but I ripped them off.
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM

You really think you ripped them off? Im sure they made their money somewhere
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Harsh.

Harsh but fair.
LOL. I laughed at that one Chris Pontius,
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 PM

Buying a guitar at Guitar Center is like buying a car from Burger King. You can get a good deal most of the time because for the most part their employees are uneducated about the products they sell. Just do your home work. The only one I ever went to that I liked was the one (only one in the city I think) in Manhatten around 30th St. All the rest are just pathetic, and trust me, I've been to ALOT of them. Sam Ash is the same way for the record...
post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:48 PM

My GC is good but ONLY because I am in good with the Manager (who is an older guy, like me and not some 17 year old that insists DragonForce is way cooler than the iron Maiden). He gives me INCREDIBLE deals on stuff and I have only had ONE problem and that didn't involve him and it got me a free used guitar. So all in all, as long as my guy is there, I like GC. now Smash can just flat out kiss my ass. The Carlo Robelli's and Brownsvilles at my local Smash are more bountiful than the Ibanez, Gretsch or jacksons. And their prices. They have a Gretsch Electromatic sitting there with a $499.00 tag on it ... which would be ok if this model wasn't the uber-crap $299.99 model with no chambering, no archtop ... nothing. Sad, really.
post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 1

It's hard not to go to GC for some things.
Stings for instance.
I got a deal on an AT wireless that was originally 1200, I got it for $400.00
They still sell for $6-800 on the bay.
I have had more troubles buying big ticket items at GC than anywhere else, and in most cases, I haven't seen deals that really blow anyone out of the water. I'll go somewhere where I know repeat business will do me some good either in honest pricing or the occasional discount for frequent fliers.

I know I've told my Guitar and amp purchase attempt here more than once.
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
HSH

I'm amused at their sales. The prices are the same as their everyday prices, they just put a bunch of signs up and say "it's on sale!"
post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM

MY GC rocks, but I have friends there....

YMMV
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 AM

Ibanez 350mdx SALE!!! - $499!! SALE!!

noobs
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
I must live close to you. I go to plymout meeting all the time.

Personally the guys in guitar center I've found to be total morons (especially when it comes to Ibanez guitars)

But It's a great place for trying out gear. Especially amps (wide variety)

But yeah I usually end up thrown out. Sam ash more than guitar center because they're dumber (but they have a bigger Ibanez selection)

and no offense but why play a Ibanez amp. I've never found them to be very good. Thermion is ok but far from great (played one at sam ash)

Then I switched to a 5150. SOme noob was cranking a mrashall mg (world's worst amp imo) next to me to be heard over me. SO I rolled down the volume knob cranked the 5150 tooks ome steps behind it and cranked the volume knob and played the final mr crowley solo. The noob ran out of the store and I wasn't allowed back in for like 2 months.
Compared to cherry hill, the plymouth meeting one is a god send. there arent too many good music stores in DE, South Jersey, so I took the trip to Plymouth Meeting. It has a much better selection of guitars and more variety compared to Sam ash and GC in Cherry Hill. DE has crap for stores. I have only found two decent stores(Middletown Music and some small mom and pop shop).
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
yeah. i finally made it to plymouth meeting and it was a great trip. I actually grabbed 2 guitars while I was there. very freindly salesman and they were a heck of alot more intelligent compared to cherry hill. I'll be back to plymouth meeting since I had a good first impression with the employees and the facility.
Yeah that store is rare gem in the guitar center crown. The manager at that one runs a tight ship with decent staff or as decent as GC can do. You can only do so well when you pay a 10/2 commission on low margin items. They still have big store problems like out of tune guitars and poor setups, But really you will find that anywhere they that kind of inventory. I tend to shop GC for the used items. You can find some great stuff and sometimes stuff that would never be seen in your area because gc ships used stuff around the chain. But anyway if you live with in driving distance of plymouth meeting you should all check it out. Even though GC is evil.
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Guitar Center - your opinion?

Guitar Center used to be a cool place to try out and buy gear, sadly it has been in the toilet for a long time. It is true though, that some locations are better than others and some times good deals can be had.

Tags
amp head , base plate , cliplock strap , combo amp , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , ebony fingerboard , electric guitar , guitar players , guitar shop , guitar tech , ibanez amps , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , iron maiden , les paul , locking trems , mesa boogie , mick thompson , monkey grip , music store , peavey rockmaster , playing guitar , recto cab , sam ash , stomp box , tube amp , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode