Guitar Center - your opinion? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Guitar Center - your opinion?

What do you guys think of Guitar Center and their website www.***************.com ? Do you shop there? What do you like about it or not like about it? Do you think the company has a good future?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:02 PM

Re: Guitar Center - your opinion?

I prefer going to their stores instead. great GC in Plymouth Meeting and a decent one in Cherry Hill. For online purchases, I normally go with m-usiciansfriend
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Yeah those two guitar centers are extra nice for some reason. But oxford valley always sucks. Also it is really funny how much the ****** in cherry hill sucks.

Anyway it is always best to try out the gear you what in person especially with guitars. And at an actual guitar center you may even be able to get them to sell you gear for below map, but please keep in mind that they work on commission and need to eat live.
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Guitar Center is the Mcdonalds of guitar stores: Clueless employees, and you don't always get such a bargain. I don't go there, unless I REALLY know what I'm looking for and where to find it, there, or just to fart around on some new gear they may have.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlong View Post
Yeah those two guitar centers are extra nice for some reason. But oxford valley always sucks. Also it is really funny how much the ****** in cherry hill sucks.

Anyway it is always best to try out the gear you what in person especially with guitars. And at an actual guitar center you may even be able to get them to sell you gear for below map, but please keep in mind that they work on commission and need to eat live.
yeah. i finally made it to plymouth meeting and it was a great trip. I actually grabbed 2 guitars while I was there. very freindly salesman and they were a heck of alot more intelligent compared to cherry hill. I'll be back to plymouth meeting since I had a good first impression with the employees and the facility.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
Guitar Center is the Mcdonalds of guitar stores: Clueless employees, and you don't always get such a bargain. I don't go there, unless I REALLY know what I'm looking for and where to find it, there, or just to fart around on some new gear they may have.
Sometimes they have some nice stuff. I like to go on Sunday afternoons to avoid the "kiddie" crowd who goes to play with the gain all the way up on the Line 6's with a Dean Dime-O-Flame.
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Guitars come out of the box and hit the shelve with no set up prior to or after purchase. They have no guitar tech support. Their employees change often. What ever few bucks you thought you might have saved is soon lost since you could have had free lifetime setups buying from a "local" guitar dealer. I don't even change my own strings anymore. I drop my guitars at the shop on the way to work, and pick them up with new strings after work. That alone is worth alot to me. I hate changing strings. And I don't ever mess with the torsion bar myself. Plus, buying from a small local dealer builds a relationship that will yield in savings in strings, cables, amps etc. over the years that will also far out weigh the few bucks you thought you saved going to the McDonalds of guitar stores. I've never met anyone at GC that wasn't an idiot about quality gear. They don't pay enough to get qualified people to work at the stores.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 PM

my GC SUCKS!! like i mean, the guys there never want to help me.... i have to run after them. the guitars are never tuned or anything. their prices are not always very good. they NEVER have a big selection of ibanez guitars. the best i've found was an iceman... lucky me! they are very brand sterio typist. like, they carry a huge selection of gibson, PRS, fender and shecter guitars, hardly anything else. amps are even worse. marshal, crate, mesa boogie, fender. that's it. no ibanez, peavey some line 6.... i will only go there to try something out, or if i don't want an idtem shipped from MF

their website is terrible, compared to MF's. AND they're under the same ownership!!??? woah.... the prices are even drastically different..
NOOBS! lol
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

I got lucky buying my 20th RG from them, but I got a manager who knew what he was doing. I've bought a couple axes from them over the last 5 years and you can find a deal if you get lucky. But EVERYTHING Darin stated is true.
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM

What Darin said is indeed true. I'd buy from local stores more often if they just carried brands I like...the only one around here only carries BC Rich, G&L, Sierra, and Stagg.

They say they HAVE to carry things that MF won't carry because most people will just check things out in the store and order from MF, even though as Darin said, MF doesn't promise set ups and whatnot.
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM

somewhere around here there's a F*** Guitar Center thread or 2
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Me personally, am not an on-line or over the phone credit card shopper. I don't even own a credit card anymore. So, there is not a whole lot of options storewise around here. We have Guitar Center and Musician's Friend Clearance Center and some hole in the wall joints, too.

They can be yutz's working there, but I've also taken advantage and gotten free merchandise b/c of this. I got a Digitech RP200A Processor for $9.99 due to the incompetence of a M.F.'s staffer.
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM

I'd ask for my $9.99 back.
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM

I bought an Epiphone from G.C. that was supposed to come with a gig bag, but they lost it. After hounding I got $30 in free merchandise, and then they found my bag. They also called after I bought my guitar to make sure I was happy with it. I've never heard of a music store doing this before.
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 PM

GC sucks. Here's why.

I walked into GC on Westheimer, here in Houston. After looking around I noticed a guitar hanging on the wall. A PURPLE Ibanez Jem. I asked the attendent to take it down so I could look at it.
It was a POS Chibanez. I tell the saleman what it is and he rebuts by saying it is a Chinese Ibanez that is made by Ibanez and is the real deal.

I then point out everything wrong with it. The crappy monkey grip, the crummy cheap trem, the rotten pickups, the offset headstock, teh crummy tuners and the fact that it has jemjr on a guitar that has full vine inlays.

All this time some kid is standing by me listening, after the saleman walks off the kid tells me he was about to buy it. Because the price on it was too good to be true.

Exactly, it was too good to be true.

Tags
amp head , base plate , cliplock strap , combo amp , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , ebony fingerboard , electric guitar , guitar players , guitar shop , guitar tech , ibanez amps , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , iron maiden , les paul , locking trems , mesa boogie , mick thompson , monkey grip , music store , peavey rockmaster , playing guitar , recto cab , sam ash , stomp box , tube amp , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode