Guitar Names - interesting subject, isn't it? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Names - interesting subject, isn't it?

I was just looking at a nice high-end lefty model guitar on the Ibanez Japan site (RG 680CL, better than then JEM 555LWH - lefty Lo-Pro!, and a steal at under $600 ... btw thanks Todd for showing me this) and I realized that if I got my parents to get it, or pay half, on it, that I would have my MusicMan and two Ibanez's (albeit one is a low-end model). This got me thinking about naming them (rather than referring to them by brand, like I do and can now).

After reading a lot of posts here, I saw that most of you guys didn't really name them. "UV77MC" or "7VWH" or otherwise naming them by the model number seems commonly sufficient. To those who own more than one guitar, especially those who own many, and now that I think about it, even those who own one (hey, that's about everyone here @ Jemsite, haha) - isn't it more fun to give them more personal names?

It's challenging. Does anyone here have names for their guitars? How did you come up with them? And to those who don't, why not? I just thought that this topic was a really interesting thing to discuss.

By the way, I thought it was really interesting when I read in an article somewhere that men tend to give feminine names to things they value (e.g., cars, boats, guitars). The first guitar that comes to my mind is B.B. King's "Lucille"... (I'm not a B.B. fan, nor a blues fan/bluesman but it's a memorable name and in my opinion, a beautiful guitar)

-Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:29 AM

Guitar Names

Hello sixstring,
* * I'm not sure where they came from, but I'll share with you:

VWH - named Opal
DBK - named Onyx
UV777BK - named Omni

and I'm working on obtaining a DY which I'll name - Oasis

Now I'm wanting to here from everyone else!

Chris
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:41 AM

Guitar Names

I tend to go through enough guitars that naming them seems like a bit of a waste of time. *By the time I come up with a fitting name for a particular guitar, it'll be time to sell it to get something else new and exciting. *The only one that I've even taken time to name is my DNA #137, which is the only guitar that I'll NEVER get rid of. *

I've named her "Angel" after my wife Angela who bought it for me *
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 14
Guitar Names

ok I'll share:

91 UV777GR: "Maitreya" (plays like the F&*ing second coming)

99 RG7421: "Akasha"

84 Roadstar: "Jaime" (pronouned High-me)

99 C-7+: "Magdelene"

88 DC-127: "Chooch"

I name all of them, even If I get rid of them.

Robbie
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:53 AM

Guitar Names

1995 Jackson Kelly Std Named "Blue"
2001 Ibanez UV777BK Named "Black"

2001 Kramer Striker 7 Named "Piece of junk" (figure it out :P )

1999 Takamine Nylonstring that doesn't have a name.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:17 PM

Guitar Names

mine dont really have names except a few times I have called my BFP

"Blue meanie"

she might be renamed when my other jem gets its Blue MC...
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 01:28 PM

Guitar Names

I havent named any of my guitars. Except one.

I did name my Jem LNG

Her name was "Nessie"

long gone though
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 02:19 PM

Guitar Names

OK, here goes

Jem7vwh = Angel
Wolfgang Standard = Cherry
Wolfgang Special = Honey
S540 = Drac
RG470 = Frankenfiddle
RG550 = Ice
(electrics) Talon, Dean 7-strg; (acoustics) Fender, Seagull, Yamaha = The Nameless Orphans
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 03:29 PM

Guitar Names

vaijem,

why don't you name them all "temporary" or "expendable"........LOL

Chris
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 04:04 PM

Guitar Names

Nah...I'll hang onto most of what I've got right now. *The Swirls are all "keepers", as is the LNG and JS10th #008. *I'll probably hang onto the Crystal Planet for awhile to. *Just have a hard time coming up with original names for them all! *

GMC-"Greenie"
PMC-"Purpley"
UV77MC-"Swirly"
JS10th-"Chromey"
CP-"Crystal"
LNG-"Greenie II"
PGM500-"F-hole"
Relic Strat-"Beater"
PRS CU22 Artist- "Paul"
S540TN Dbl neck- "The Twins"
EB/MM JPM- "JPM"
Blue PRS Singlecut- "Blue"
Ibanez RS1300- "Roadstar"
Lowden F-25C- "Lowden"

Etc..

There! *I just named all (well, most) of what I've got at the moment! *Are ya happy? *LOL
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 04:04 PM

Reviews: 3
Guitar Names

You know... was in quite a quandary while trying to name my guitars a while back. *I believe I started a thread on the last forum much like you did. *I never did think of names... I suppose you just have to wait for the right moment of inspiration and hopefully it'll come to you.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Names

Your timing is uncanny, Jay.
As soon as I read the word "inspiration" I kind of looked around the room a bit for no reason at all and thought, "Hey, I think 'Phoenix' and 'Zephyr' would make nice names."

By the way, my favorite mythological creature was the phoenix (Vulcan to the Romans) and that would explain my user name. I think of a zephyr as its counterpart because it also did originate from Greek mythology (as 'Zephyros,' the god of wind, but that's a bit too weird sounding for me) and is also a bird, but while a phoenix is a violent, fiery kind of creature, a zephyr is placid and peaceful.

I think they sound pleasantly exotic. (Everyone's given their guitars human names, or at least a fair amount, so I decided to be more original! )

Except, if I get that beautiful RG, I'll have to think of another one. Bummer.

Anyway, thanks all you guys for sharing. I honestly didn't expect so much response so fast!

Luck and inspiration to all...
-Justin
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 07:33 PM

Guitar Names

12 acoustic-angel
7DBK-Devo
butchered stratwith evos-the beast
old strat-betsie
colin morison classical-scotty
flamenco-caballero
the rest dont have names unfortunatly
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 07:46 PM

Guitar Names

Yeah on the terrifying edge of rock and roll, all amps on eleven, a million watts of power! and I am going to rock your socks off with the mega axe of metal.....

betsie

(Sorry Steve, such a great name I couldnt resist!)
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 08:13 PM

Guitar Names

Well, I've already got my Oscar Schmidt acoustic, named "Oscar" (cuz he's a real grouch), but I was thinking of a name my Squire Strat (with DiMarzio Super Distortion) and I'm stuck. *Any suggestions? *Here's some pics:

Strat Front

Strat Back

Oscar

Please excuse the messy room.

P.S. *How do I get a picture under my name?

(Edited by Two hands31 at 7:23 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

(Edited by Two hands31 at 8:04 pm on Aug. 13, 2001)

Tags
beautiful guitar , candy apple red , chrome hardware , crystal planet , custom shop , dimarzio super distortion , electric guitar , epi les paul , fender strat , fender stratocaster , flame maple , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul studio , gold lace sensors , herc fede , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez john petrucci , ibanez pgm , jackson dinky , jackson kelly , jackson soloist , jem bsb , jem dna , jem lng , john petrucci , kramer pacer , lace sensor , lace sensors , left handed guitar , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , loch ness green , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , paul gilbert , randy rhoads , seymour duncan , squire strat , stephen carpenter , strat plus , strat style , string acoustic , string bass , super distortion , swamp ash , trussrod cover , tung oil , warmoth strat , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode