Guitar Neck Scale length question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Guitar Neck Scale length question

Seems SO many guitars are 25.5 scale guitars 22 fret usually.
But My early years were spent on a 24.5 scale neck 24 fret.

Those numbers are Not exact I know but just sayin ....

Now what this simplifies down to is this (for absolute beginners) ....A 24.5 scale ,24 fret guitar will have frets SLIGHTLY closer to one another all the way up the neck. As to where a 25.5 scale neck you will have to kinda stretch a bit more to reach the same frets. Not much,just a tad bit more. Barely noticable.
BUT....its that tiny bit that makes my 24.5 scale 24 fret feels so much more comfortable playing along the neck. Tad less stretching involved.
So I found a guitar I love ..........but its 25.5 scale 22 fret,unfortunately .....but anymore Most electric guitars are seems like .....wondering whats everyone elses take on this?
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,181
Reviews: 120
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Sorry, what's your point????

Everyone has different preferences. It will always be based on what feels best to a particular individual.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South wales UK
Posts: 222
Reviews: 12
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

It's more common for guitars with the Gibson scale 24.75 to have 22 frets and ones with 24 frets are not so common.

The Jackson fusions had that scale, and the Peavey Vandenburgs, the esp and ltd Mavericks, and soome eclipses, viper models too, use the shorter scale, if anything its easier to play on the higher frets on the longer scale.....

I didnt notice much difference when going between the two scales with 22 frets theres still enough space to play comfortably...
ozzuk is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzuk View Post
It's more common for guitars with the Gibson scale 24.75 to have 22 frets and ones with 24 frets are not so common.

The Jackson fusions had that scale, and the Peavey Vandenburgs, the esp and ltd Mavericks, and soome eclipses, viper models too, use the shorter scale, if anything its easier to play on the higher frets on the longer scale.....

I didnt notice much difference when going between the two scales with 22 frets theres still enough space to play comfortably...
I currently am playing an Ibanez RGT42DX neckthru 24 fret .... and the frets feel like I need biger hands or something kinda......yet I get on my American Neckthru Warlock 24 fret neckthru with a 24.75 scale neck & it is like Butter. An example would be....My Warlock I can reach from the fat string 3rd fret to the 7th fret quite easily .....on The Ibanez I feel like im gonna pull a mucles trying to the from the 3rd fret fat string to the 7th fret lol. its not a huge diference.......but its that minor difference that I like about the 24.75 scale. My freinds Les Paul...same thing I can get on there & reach notes easier than On my Ibanez.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Sorry, what's your point????

Everyone has different preferences. It will always be based on what feels best to a particular individual.
I agree. but what feels bets to me is the 24.75 and I gues thats because thats what I played for around 15+ years or so up until I picked up a bc rich Gunslinger & now the Ibanez RGT42DX,otherwise ive always had the 24.75 guitars,so thats what feels most comfortable to me. Now im just a bit stuck because when looking at another guitar,in order to get THAT FEEL ,i need it to be 24.75 & Not 25.5
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South wales UK
Posts: 222
Reviews: 12
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

I think I prefer 25.5 but understand there is a smaller distance to stretch, you may also prefer the lower tension, I dont have giant vai hands but have always played 25.5 and stretched without much hassle..

I dont like how cramped the frets start getting towards the 24th on the shroter scale that just doesent feel right too me if you have skinny figners it's probably less of a problem...

Fret size also changes the feel of the guitar one of the reasons I love the jesm so much is the 6105 frets they feel right for me..
ozzuk is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

wonder if they make a 24 scale with only 22 frets..
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Do you use long straps and go for the cool look when you play? 3rd to 7th should be fairly simple on all guitars if you are not twisting your arm like mad (guitar down to your knees). Go jazz style, chin, guitar THEN stomach. Everything will be easier to play, although you will have to work on your posing skills.
The Euphor is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Do you use long straps and go for the cool look when you play? 3rd to 7th should be fairly simple on all guitars if you are not twisting your arm like mad (guitar down to your knees). Go jazz style, chin, guitar THEN stomach. Everything will be easier to play, although you will have to work on your posing skills.

yeh....i hook 2 straps together,it allows my guitar to hang just above the ankles
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 551
Reviews: 6
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
I agree. but what feels bets to me is the 24.75 and I gues thats because thats what I played for around 15+ years or so up until I picked up a bc rich Gunslinger & now the Ibanez RGT42DX,otherwise ive always had the 24.75 guitars,so thats what feels most comfortable to me. Now im just a bit stuck because when looking at another guitar,in order to get THAT FEEL ,i need it to be 24.75 & Not 25.5
Check out the ESP/LTD EC line. The have 24-fret, 24.75" scale models.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/lt...ec-1000fr.html
Philboski is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Check out the ESP/LTD EC line. The have 24-fret, 24.75" scale models.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/lt...ec-1000fr.html

cant do that.....has the floyd special...so id have to replace that,has emg actives & dont like that either,otherwise it looks like a nice guitar
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,810
Reviews: 11
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

So you like 24.75" scaly guitars more. Congrats?
D.M.RG7620 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,810
Reviews: 11
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

And they have more EC models you know. They have a fixed bridge and passive pickups.
D.M.RG7620 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
And they have more EC models you know. They have a fixed bridge and passive pickups.
Floyd,Passive,24.75 scale ....found this old bc rich late 80s model that has an Awesome nice neck,for me, but its 25.5 .....very hard to find a guitar that takes a floyd & is 24.75 and Good passive p/u's ,since this stuffs so hard to find all in one guitar ...im looking for a beater with these features & will just put my own hardware on it to replace whatevers on it if need be.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Re: Guitar Neck Scale length question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
yeh....i hook 2 straps together,it allows my guitar to hang just above the ankles
Jimmy Page would be proud...
MicJustMic is offline  
Reply

Tags
neck jem metal hair

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neck and scale length question manticus Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 10 06-11-2009 12:21 PM
scale length question Torrance All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 09-28-2006 11:52 AM
Building/Scale Length question.. ibanezrocker61 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 11 09-13-2005 11:50 PM
longer neck scale length rbjammin All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 14 06-25-2004 06:40 PM
How to measure the scale length of a guitar? eg Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 09-23-2002 11:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome