Guitar prices<what you're willing to pay - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Guitar prices<what you're willing to pay

I figured I'd just make a random topic and see where it goes.And on the topic about guitar prices<what you're willing to pay,here's my random input.I know there are a lot of GREAT guitars out there and the majority of them have insane prices on them.How much are you guys willing to/have you payed for one?
I could never see myself paying 1k+ for a guitar.Shoot I really don't see myself paying over 800 to be honest.The only thing that will fall remotely in the category is the custom jem I'm slowly but eventually going to finish.I figure it'll be right under 1k maybe between 7-900.Depends on if I snag any deals or whatnot.
Just figured I'd start a thread and see where it went,lol.
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 AM

Re: Guitar prices<what you're willing to pay

I would never pay over $1000 for a guitar either. So far I've never even paid over $500 for a single guitar and I own a 2002 RG570 that came with a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo and a 1998 S2540 which came in beat up condition. I guess I just kind of find it enjoyable to buy used, beat up guitars and make them playable again so I wouldn't really buy a great condition guitar unless it was a really good deal. So I guess partially because I enjoy fixing them, partially because I'm cheap.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 AM

What your willing to pay for a guitar depends on what your taste in guitars is? I mean if you want suhrs, prs 24 cutoms and j-customs and jackson soloists Gibson les paul customs you are gonna have to pay. I mean its like anything else. Maybe you can find an epi les paul swap in some duncans and upgrade the electronics and for 500 bucks you have a guitar that plays almost as good as a real les paul. Its about perceived value and resale as well I mean would you pay 1,100 for a new Les Paul Custom when they are listing for over 3K I would buy as many as you would sell me for that price. Cause I could resell them for more very easily.Also guitars that have a very limited release or are very rare or getting hard to find , if you really want one you may have to overpay a bit depending how bad you feel you want one. I mean is a jem worth 5x an rg550 to some it seems to be even though it close to being the same thing on a lot of levels.Lets not even get started on crazy priced signature series Gibsons and fenders.Perceived value versus what something is worth is a very complex topic that is more about psychology and group think. I mean just look at the tulip phenomenon or baseball cards, internet stocks and vintage guitars i mean 75k for a 54 strat? a new strat is like less than 1000 bucks and very well may play much nicer.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 05:32 AM

Reviews: 1

Let's look at it another way:

1) In the last few years Mercedes Benz has sold more cars per year than at any other time in their history since the first one was made in 1886. Why, when you can spend half on a normal new car?

2) Iphones are sold out at $300. - Why,when you can buy a flip-phone for $50.?

3) Nike Air Jordan sneakers cost 3X more than Convers All Stars - and more people wear Nike's.

Why?, because people see value and are willing to pay for these things. They call it "supply & demand".
So Ibanez comes out with a re-issue UVMC for $6,000. street price and they are ALL SOLD WITHIN HOURS! Just like the DNA's in 2000, when people see value in something they want- they cough up the cash every time.
I remember saying it too - I'll never spend more than $1000 for a guitar, but as you learn more about them and grow as a player something happens to us and we change. Wait and see.....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post

1) In the last few years Mercedes Benz has sold more cars per year than at any other time in their history since the first one was made in 1886. Why, when you can spend half on a normal new car?

3) Nike Air Jordan sneakers cost 3X more than Convers All Stars - and more people wear Nike's.

Why?, because people see value and are willing to pay for these things. They call it "supply & demand".
So Ibanez comes out with a re-issue UVMC for $6,000. street price and they are ALL SOLD WITHIN HOURS! Just like the DNA's in 2000, when people see value in something they want- they cough up the cash every time.
I remember saying it too - I'll never spend more than $1000 for a guitar, but as you learn more about them and grow as a player something happens to us and we change. Wait and see.....
100% true dude....;-)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I get your point Jemaholic,but I've been playing almost 11 years and like Jeffplaysguitar I've never bought one over $400(even though he said $500).The most expensive guitar I have is a '05 2550e and I only paid $400 for it w/case,and as of right now I'm at 8 guitars,lol.So I'm pretty sure unless I come into a LOT of money to just blow on whatever(HIGHLY doubtful,lol)I'm gonna stick to the best low deals I can get.I mean yeah,I'd love a signature model but if all else fails I'll stick to upgrading the ones I buy used.
I enjoy everyone's input,don't be shy.lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:02 PM

How much would I spend on a guitar?
It really depends on how much I can afford to spend.
I'm on a pretty low budget, so I've never paid more than $500 for a guitar.
Luckily I've made some great trades, sales, and purchases
Now I have three RGA 121's and a RG770DX
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 34

It depends on the guitar. I seriously considered buying one of the 25th Anniversary Charvels, at a heavily discounted £2500. They are awesome guitars and totally worht the money.

I would spend £900 on one of the new charvels as they are really excellent value for money.

I tried a Les Paul out the other day and it was something like £1400. It was very good and I could see myself spending the money on that.

I played a Fernandes a couple of years ago with a sticker price of £1000. I wouldn't have payed a third of that as it was truly horrible.

I have made few customs over the years and they rarely cost less than £850. So to be honest to spend more than that on a guitar I would have to be getting good trade ins on existing gear, or it would have to be significnatly better than anything on my wall at the moment.

The new guitar prices from Japan have rocketed over here in the last couple of years. There is just no way I would spend £1000 plus on a non Jem even if it is "prestige".
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 2

2 weeks salary if you really like it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 AM

Reviews: 4

I wouldn't pay the RIDICULOUS Australian price for a Jem (5000 Australian dollars)
because i know i could get the same thing for 2500 from America.
On the other hand, i would pay $5000 for a Conklin Custom 8 string, a Novax Charlie Hunter, and around $3000 for a Blackmachine or Hufschmid.

Jemaholic is so true in every way,
but I myself don't buy anything because of name nowadays, if it's good guality and i want it, ill cough up the dough.

Cam-Vai
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Reviews: 59

I spend what I need for a guitar that fits well in my hands and meets the purposes I have for it. I bought a $300 Samick acoustic because it sounded and played well for me and that's all I wanted to spend for something that was just going to get occasional play/recording work. I've also bought a JS1200 from Rich and I don't feel I overpaid for it because it's my go to for everything and it cured my guitar GAS.

I can appreciate those who go the bargain/used route and then fix things up, but I found that you still need to start with a quality base and I wasn't patient enough to spend the time fixing things. My hat's off to you, but I'd rather pay a little extra to get what I want without the project part.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM

Reviews: 12

depends on what i'm looking for:
plenty of old MIJ RG/S are within $150 - $550, yes i've bought a few RG's within those extremes
Used Prestige models: depends on model/quality, $500 - $800; only time i bought one new was a S5470 cause it was a brand spank'n new model :P
Used J-Custom: depending on rarity/condition $900 - $1.5k. At this range though, i'd shop around for a Caparison Horus or a pretty good condition UV or maybe a 'custom shop' Carvin

Most of my axe's were bought used; a couple have probably seen the depths of heck and then some... but very playable and structural to this day, after fixing 'er up
I also enjoy "cleaning and restoring" a beater into a super shreddin' machine... sorta therapeutic and puzzle-solving at the same time

Reg
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:48 PM

I find that there is a "sweet spot" in the ranges of many guitar companies where the ratio of price to quality is really good.

For example, here in the US:

Fender's American Special Teles and Strats. $800. Very nicely finished, made in USA. Sound good.

Charvel San Dimas, three models, USA, about $1000.

Gibson Les Paul Studio. USA made, the same pickups and electronics as higher-end models. Fewer frills, all the thrills. $1300 (but can often be found on sale around $1000).

Ibanez Prestige models like the RG1451, RG1550, RG1570. Fujigen-made, quality, nice fit and finish, $800-1000.

With my budget and taste, this is where I usually shop. With regard to most guitar companies, I would rather have one guitar of a thousand dollars than two different ones of five hundred dollars each. But given two thousand to spend, I think I'd rather have two thousand-dollar guitars than one two-thousand-dollar axe. Does that make sense?

Peace

Mike
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post

I have 3 pairs of Converse All Stars...all of which were $30!

I paid $340 for my Japanese RGs (x2) (used) $350 for my korean one (new) and a scant $650 for my PGM301 (ultra mint, 1 owner), $250 for my Tiny Terror (1 owner), and $500 for my Mesa Mark III (guts only, bought a rack mount later). That's just been in the last 24 months

Always buy used. Always. I have bought 3 retail guitars in the last 16 years, totaling (LP Cust, Tacoma acoustic, and Gib V - $7250 for 3 guitars). Not worth it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
I find that there is a "sweet spot" in the ranges of many guitar companies where the ratio of price to quality is really good.

For example, here in the US:

Fender's American Special Teles and Strats. $800. Very nicely finished, made in USA. Sound good.

Charvel San Dimas, three models, USA, about $1000.

Gibson Les Paul Studio. USA made, the same pickups and electronics as higher-end models. Fewer frills, all the thrills. $1300 (but can often be found on sale around $1000).

Ibanez Prestige models like the RG1451, RG1550, RG1570. Fujigen-made, quality, nice fit and finish, $800-1000.

With my budget and taste, this is where I usually shop. With regard to most guitar companies, I would rather have one guitar of a thousand dollars than two different ones of five hundred dollars each. But given two thousand to spend, I think I'd rather have two thousand-dollar guitars than one two-thousand-dollar axe. Does that make sense?

Peace

Mike
Actually that makes prett much perfect sense to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode