Guitar rack system experts -I NEED HELP! - I urgently need a - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Guitar rack system experts -I NEED HELP! - I urgently need a

Hello:
Today I received by mail the last piece of equipment that will constitute my first guitar rack system. Being ignorant about how to place the different part of this rack system, I'm starting to question my judgement in trying to build this system and not going for a simpler setup. Knowing that a lot of people here have experience setting up this type of system, I would like to know if it would be possible to get help from those of you who know how to do this. My rack consists of the following pieces:
Furman PL Plus Power Conditioner (use is self-explanatory)

ADA MP-1 Preamp (effects loop send and receive, output a and b, line input)

Rocktron Piranha (input, loop send, loop returs left and right, output left and right)

Behringer PEQ 2200 Parametric Eq (output, input)

TC Electronic G-Major (switch out, balanced input left (mono), balanced input right, balanced output left (mono), balanced output right)

BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer (channel A input and output, channel B input and output)

Peavey Classic 50/50 Stereo Power Amp (input 1 (2 jacks), input 2 (2 jacks), line out 1, line out 2, output 1 mono (2 jacks), output 2 (2 jacks), mono/stereo select switch, 4-8-16 ohms selection switch

This rack goes into a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cabinet (this cab is mono, only 1 inlut jack)

My problem is that most of this stuff I got second hand and don't have the manuals. Please let me know the order in which tis pieces should be connected and also into which jacks the connections should be made. I know that I have two preamps and would like to try both separately, so I'll appreciate if setup instructions could be provided for each of the preamps. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 10:13 PM

Guitar rack system experts -I NEED HELP!

First off you need to decide which preamp you like. Personally, I don't care for the Rocktron unit (or the ADA really, but I like the ADA a lot more then the Rocktron).

After that, here's an example setup:

ADA (Behringer in the loop) -> stereo - > G-Major - > stereo - > BBE -> sum single w/ Y-cord - > mono to your amp/cab

I'd also seriously considering re-wiring that cabinet in stereo or getting another one since you'll only be using half of your poweramp.

This is the way I'd probably set it up, but you may want to mess with it some yourself.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Hello Jeffrey:

Thanks for your help. *I want to try the rack with each preamp (ADA and the Rocktron) to see which one sounds best. *I pretty much figured out that the order in which you placed the various components of the rack is the correct one. *My problem is that I don't know from which jacks I should connects the different devices. *For example, some devices has send jacks and out put jacks. *Others have the output jacks and line out jacks. *Which ones are the correct ones? *In your diagram you mention a device and add the word stereo. *What do you mean by that? *I really feel stupid asking all of this, but if I don't then I'll have a $2000 plus guitar rack taking dust without being use. *For the moment I'll stay with the Carvin Legacy, but next mont I will add another one.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 10:22 PM

Reviews: 1

If this is the original Mp-1 It only has a mono fx loop, run it in this way: Guitar, ADA with your mono output running to the amp input, then the amp to the cabinet.
Now, for the FX send run all mono ins and outs going Behringer, TC then BBE into your ada's fx return. Unfortunately you won't benefit completely from the stereo fx capabilties of the TC or behringer butI thin the tone in the ADA is superior to the rocktron.
If you choose to run the Pirahna you can use the stereo fx loops but you still have to use the one side of the power amp unless you can bridge the channels to form a 100Watt power amp.
You can email me with any questions.
Bamm
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 07:30 AM

That's a really good idea too Bamm, although I'd do the EQ last in the chain. EQ pre-effects is hiss/noise city.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 10:35 AM

I like using the loop with my Piranha. *If you want, I have a table made up of various presets for the Piranha...just email. *It might give you someplace to start other than the factory presets (yuck!). *It's highly tweakable, so be patient.
Greg
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 10:47 AM

Reviews: 2

Here's how to get stereo outputs from an ADA MP-1

I don't know the setups of teh other units so I'll just assume. You will need to re-wire you cab to get stereo.

OK step 1 Is to get the amp working so connect guitar to ADA and teh outputs to the power amp. Then from power to cab.

Step 2

Take your two outputs from your ADA and put them into the G-major inputs (assuming it has two) then take the two outputs from the g-major and plug them into the power amp.

Hey presto stereo FX from an ADA

Now where you connect all the other stuff is beyond me.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Angry Re: Guitar rack system experts -I NEED HELP! - I urgently need a

i am starting to build my first rack system...although i am having a lot of trouble trying to wire everything together....this is what i have in order from top to bottom..

-furman power conditioner
-digitech studio s100 effects processor
-peavey preamp
-alesis power amp

i have everything in rack cases...but i do not understand how to wire everything together and then into my cabinet..can anyone help me?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Guitar rack system experts -I NEED HELP! - I urgently need a

All gear have in and out,how could it be easier?
The order is always the same = pre - effects - poweramp - cab
Put your gear in that order inside of your case and it'd be easier to wire them cause you'll use shorter cables
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM

not everything has in and out ports on the different rack pieces...the processor has (mono in and out) then the preamp has (EFX 1 send and return then it has 2 seperate outputs) then my power amp only has an input...any suggesttions?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Yes all of them have ins and outs.
Guitar - pre in - pre out - effects in - effects out - poweramp in.
See in - out - in - out - in - out
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM

what is the send and return then? and what do i plug my cab into?
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Again = The order is always the same = pre - effects - poweramp - cab
Dude why you buy stuff you don't even know how they work?
And why don't you read their manuals?
Oh I know you don't have their manuals.......so....download them.
You don't even know where to plug a cab!
That's weird to me.

Guitar - Pre - Effects - Poweramp - Cab
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM

i have had them for a while. and when i got them i never took the time to understand it..im jsut trying to understand how this works. there is only an input on my power amp so i cant plug my cabinet into it. im just confused and am attempting to get some help ur just telling me what order the things go in. i understand that. i dont understand what goes into what ports
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 PM

and the manuals dont tell me what i need to know. they dont have diagrams in them. they jsut tell you how to operate them

Tags
amp input , peavey classic , power amp , rack system , rocktron piranha , sonic maximizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode