Guitar Rig 3 - Opinions - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Rig 3 - Opinions

I'm after a computer amp/FX application and Guitar Rig 3 looks pretty cool. Anybody use it and have any feedback. Any other suggestions of a good alternative?

Has to be Mac compatible and usable as an plug-in in Logic Express

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Re: Guitar Rig 3 - Opinions

It's really nice. I use it for recording my demos and I must say that some of the presets are awesome. But should you choose to make your own, you won't be disapponted! It works great in both Logic and Mainstage, so I suppose it'll be the same for Logic Express. Haven't tried it in a rehearsal, but I think that it shall need some eq-ing if you plug on the mixer. But I'll say no more about it's live performance and let someone else, who has tried it to speak. IMO it's a really nice portable solution.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM

You might want to hang on, they just announced version 4!
http://bit.ly/2bOdar
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Am I the only person who HATES guitar rig? I've used it in conjunction with a real amp, and I suppose it could be useful in that case.

However, by itself most of the distortion tones are pretty crappy...and that's even with some leniency considering its all virtual. I don't know, it sounds like everything is coming out of a speaker inside a long plastic tube. It doesn't read subtle dynamics very well, and the signature tones don't sound much like the real deal.

The clean sounds are actually pretty good though...but pfffftt, who cares about that? :P
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 AM

I have tried pretty much everyone of all those amp simulators (Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc..)
It is possible to get good sounds out of guitar rig but at least for me I find others to be easier to get a good sound of.
I would take Amplitube 2 over Guitar Rig 3 any day.
My favorite amp plugin at least for distorted tones is Studio Devil.
Download a demo and try it out. Feels really good under the fingers.
Comes closest to the real thing of everything I've tried so far.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrimner View Post
I have tried pretty much everyone of all those amp simulators (Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc..)
It is possible to get good sounds out of guitar rig but at least for me I find others to be easier to get a good sound of.
I would take Amplitube 2 over Guitar Rig 3 any day.
My favorite amp plugin at least for distorted tones is Studio Devil.
Download a demo and try it out. Feels really good under the fingers.
Comes closest to the real thing of everything I've tried so far.
Hi, with this type of software,I've never used it before, do you simply get a cable to connect to your sound cards mic input?

Sorry for bumping the thread but you got me curious.

Regards,
Nelson
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Have you looked into the Mainstage section of the new Logic 9 release? Since you're already familiar with Logic, that may be the easiest route. I've no experience with it other than listening to the sound clips online, however a friend of mine has it and loves it. He's more of a jazz guy though.

But if it holds its own with Guitar Rig then you'll get all the guitar stuff plus a pro quality DAW to boot.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsabino View Post
Hi, with this type of software,I've never used it before, do you simply get a cable to connect to your sound cards mic input?

Sorry for bumping the thread but you got me curious.

Regards,
Nelson
Whilst you can do this, the impedences are completely wrong and it will pick up an enormous about of noise and inteference.

What you need is either a soundcard with an input specifically designed for guitars, or (more likely) an audio interface, for example an M-Box.

Tags
guitar rig 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode