Guitar Rig 3 Vs. Amplitube 2 Metal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Guitar Rig 3 Vs. Amplitube 2 Metal

What do you all think?
I think I'm leaning towards the Kontrol Version on Guitar rig 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Re: Guitar Rig 3 Vs. Amplitube 2 Metal

IMO the GR3 interface is much easier to use. I also like the tones from GR3 better.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks man. your opinion seems liek the general consensus. Do you own it?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Guitar Rig 3 is much better than Amplitube 2 and yes I have had copies of both. I now only have Guitar Rig 3.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Well I have had both and I would say Guitar Rig is definitely a way nicer interface, everything just looks smoother and more professional. Plus the tones I could make were better then the ones in Amplitube for sure so yep.

I had Revalver too and it was pretty sweet there is A TON you can do with it, the interface just is not as cool :P
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. What do you like better about guitar rig 3?
I assume your talking about amplitube 2 metal right?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 PM

I had metal and the normal one haha I have had pretty much ALL these kinda programs at one point all gone now though as of yesterday actually.

Metal is kinda poop XD sorry if anyone likes it here. I just could not get anything nice except a few metal tones so it was not real versatile for me.

Guitar Rig 3 definitely is the most versatile and Revalver has the most stuff you can mess with.

With GR3 I could get really any sound I wanted from metal to blues and clean stuff and all out crazy, plus everything just sounded better than Amplitubes stuff, IMO Amplitube seems kinda cheap sounding. Thats the only way I can put it, when compared to GR3 it seemed like a cheap knockoff.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply man!
How did you like the floor control? Can you have multiple banks of presets?
MEaning if you set up the four bottom buttons to be 1- ultrasonic stack 2- reverb 3-orange amp- 4-tubescreamer, you would not be limited to just those presets correct? can you save different banks of presets? can you then change banks right from the pedal?

Thanks so much again
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 AM

You will have to wait for someone else to answer that one friend.

I did not have the Kontrol edition I just had the software, sorry. I am sure some google searching can find ya what you need though
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks anyway man!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarEvan07 View Post
thanks man. your opinion seems liek the general consensus. Do you own it?
Yes, I own it, and I have tried Amplitube and Revalver. For me it isn't even close. GR3 by a mile! The controller works really well and latency is 10ms. If you connect to a sound card, latency will be higher, unless you have a good quality card like the EMU 0404 (which I used to use).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 AM

I have them both. Guitar Rig is better straight out of the box but I've got some great tones out of Amplitube by running it through T-Racks afterwards. It seems there's a weird midrange thing happening across the final sound which you can't dial out with the parametric EQ, but you can get rid of it quite easily with an EQ placed after Amplitube, and this makes it sound much more 'big-time.'
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Reviews: 2

What about Digidesign's Eleven? I've heard great things about it (Largely from Digidesign's marketing team...).

Anybody used it? I just snagged a copy of Pro Tools 8 which has the "Free" version of it but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM

I've always had much more luck with Amplitube. I've always found Guitar Rig to really be lacking for high-gain. I can never dial in metal tone that sounds high-gain enough without it sounding slow/muddy. Guitar Rig does have a tone advantage and is really better for just about everything else but I still can't get that high gain tube amp sound out of Guitar Rig. The Metal version of Amplitube is better if that's what you want. It's a bit limiting otherwise. You can get a few nice clean tones and I imagine more so with some extra effects running in series.

Actually one of the best guitar sims I've found came from a free VST that simulates the JCM800 as well as a few Boss pedals. It doesn't have a gui but it doesn't really need it. I can't remember the name off hand now. I've been using these things for years because up until October 2008 I've never owned my own amp except a 12watt Peavey I sold about 7 years ago.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM

I only have experience with Guitar Rig 3

I hate it! Tones are just...god awful. If you really need a huge selection of amps for your music and sound is more important than tone, then yeah, it's great for that.

Give me an outboard processor any day.

I have a pretty decent PC running Cakewalk Sonar, and after you get an entire mix in, with all the effects for the other tracks and two or three Guitar Rigs plugged in, it takes up a tremendous amount of system resources. In addition, if you're using a drum sampler like Superior Drummer like me, and are putting effects on the master bus as well, it's so easy to crash.

I agree with jdsony, that there are some awesome free VSTs out there.

Tags
guitar rig 3 vs amplitube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode