Guitar Rig -> Moving toward digitally molded sounds - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Guitar Rig -> Moving toward digitally molded sounds

Hi,

I'm currently trying out "Guitar Rig2" as a demo evaluation. Anybody has experience with this software? What do you think about it?

The word is that the big studio names are increasingly showing up at (studio) gigs with a laptop running GR2 to lay down their chops and that there is a tendency to move away from the use of real live amps (at least, for recording, that is). Anybody using this software for (all of) their chops? Let me know your thoughts!

For now, I must say I'm impressed with the software. What could be the downside of this direction, if there is any?

Regards,

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Re: Guitar Rig -> Moving toward digitally molded sounds

Well one reason is that it's just all to processed...a peice of software simulating the real deal is never as good as the real deal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 PM

Well one reason is that it's just all to processed...a peice of software simulating the real deal is never as good as the real deal.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Guitar Rig -> Moving toward digitally molded sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzdoc
Well my dear Ozz,

The thing about this soft is exactly that it doesn't seem to be processed at all, the sounds are quite "natural" IMHO (I currently own a JC120, a Marshall Lead 800 (sold and being picked-up tomorrow) and an old '90 H&K 60W combo).

I must say that I'm surprised by the quality of the sound and the sound-shaping possibilities of this software. I can imagine that ppl use this to (at least) record stuff. It even emulates the hum of the valve amps.

Anyway, still out for feedback from actual users.

Regards,

D.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:33 AM
NNS

Does the software use REAL samples of amps?

If it does then it will obviously sound quite a lot nearer real sound than purely digital synth type stuff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 05:09 AM

I'm also trying it out and I think it sounds excellent. It's too soon yet to throw away my tube amp but I believe digital has the potential to replace all the present tube technology. Just give it some time...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Guitar Rig -> Moving toward digitally molded sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS
Does the software use REAL samples of amps?

If it does then it will obviously sound quite a lot nearer real sound than purely digital synth type stuff.
No, you feed clean guitar into it, and then it shapes that tone in real-time to match the sound of the amp, settings and fx you choose to build the rig.

Regards,

D.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
NNS

I can't speak for the software in question, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Line6 Variax technology uses recordings as a basis for waveform shaping and then manipulates a guitar signal to 'match'. Maybe thats the same thing... That's actually why I don't think it will ever sound like the real thing because it has to 'match' a recording or algorithm or whatever and it doesn't use the actual valves, and can only respond within the parameters of the software if that makes any sense. Also you therefore have to have the original tubes as a basis so you can't just replace them. The same way as you need original instruments to record the samples used in a Korg Triton etc etc.

Tags
tube amp , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode