Guitar safes -- Do you have one? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 27
Guitar safes -- Do you have one?

I've built quite a collection of guitars in the past 20+ years I've been playing. Recently I've brought a lot of them out of their cases and am hanging them up on the wall in my home studio. Personally I think it is a GREAT way to decorate your walls! It's also a GREAT way to give you easy access to your guitars any any time! And also a GREAT way to advertise your very vulnerable guitar collection to anyone passing by a window who has thoughts of burglery...

The point is, I'm thinking about buying a guitar safe. I've seen quite a large range of prices, and they seem to have a lot of variation on how much protection they offer against the heat from a fire (and for how long).

I'm looking for recommendations based on experience. I'm trying to find what would be the best return on my investment. Is there one company that stands out as the one to go with? (PrivateSecurityProducts.com, Homelandsafes.com?)

Thanks for educating me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Guitar safes -- Do you have one?

I'm curious myself about this. However, wouldn't it be less expensive to finish a room with specs for temp control and safety issues, that could double as a showroom? I would think a guitar safe system would be $$$$$...

Maybe not, either way I'm interested to hear what others think.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Re: Guitar safes -- Do you have one?

Basically, there's nothing that would really differentiate a "guitar" safe from a gun safe...they're anywhere from $500-3k or so...just depends on size and fire rating.

$1000 can get you a decent-sized safe though.,
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Reviews: 2

If you have tons of money in gear, would be a good Idea. I just leave my dogs in the house, and anyone who comes to the door tends to stand back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Reviews: 1

Insurance is easier.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
Insurance is easier.
...but replacing some instruments is not. Often the best one will do is find a replacement guitar that is similar to the one that was lost. Colors (for guitars) change almost every year, trem systems change, figured tops can take a while to find, etc. Replacing guitars can be a very difficult and drawn out process for most folks so it makes far more sense to avoid a problem then to solve it, insurance or not.

That said, there are (2) main reasons to buy a guitar safe.

The first one is first protection. All gun safes are rated for to withstand up to X temperature for Y time but consider this - guns are primarily metal with a little wood and/or plastic whereas guitars are mostly wood. I don't know how a guitar finish would hold up after being cooked in a safe for a few hours.

The second reason for purchasing a safe is theft prevention and safe will only deter all but the most determined criminals if it's securely bolted to a floor (with steel plates for reinforcement) or a concrete foundation. If thieves can move the whole safe to crack open at their leisure, they will.

Also consider that if you have a large safe, thieves have no idea what's in it. They may think that there are firearms in it when there's not. Thieves generally steal things that they can resell and there's always a demand for illegal firearms, even more so than vintage guitars. In a way, putting your guitars in a safe makes them a false target.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM

I start with a perimeter exterior camera system that records 24/7. 2 terrabyte hard drive which ties into my access control system for perimeter doors. I use proximity card readers on all the doors with electronic door strikes. I also tied in a bunch of exterior flood lights that go on in the event of a forced entry.
Regular monitored alarm system takes over from there - if I'm home when a break in occurs.....well, I always carry a backup just in case ;^)

Oh yeah, I do have a rider on my insurance policy too, but that's not nearly as fun.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I start with a perimeter exterior camera system that records 24/7. 2 terrabyte hard drive which ties into my access control system for perimeter doors. I use proximity card readers on all the doors with electronic door strikes. I also tied in a bunch of exterior flood lights that go on in the event of a forced entry.
Regular monitored alarm system takes over from there - if I'm home when a break in occurs.....well, I always carry a backup just in case ;^)

Oh yeah, I do have a rider on my insurance policy too, but that's not nearly as fun.
haha damn i just use a rock and a stick =p
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post

That's the way you do. Layering defenses is the best way to deter criminals. They more obstacles they have to overcome to get your stuff the less likely they are to do it. They're looking for the soft targets to make their jobs as easy as possible.

Tags
guitar safes locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode