guitar strings - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

guitar strings

hey, you guys. i have ernie ball 10.-46 strings on my guitar now, and they are very stiff and hard to bend. i cant even solo. i was wondering if its even possible to solo on these strings or are they more for rythm becuase i know james hetfield from metallica uses these. can anyone recommend me any string brand and gauge that would be good for aggressive, and shred playing, not anything that is thick and hard to bend, but now something that is light as a feather either. please, i would really appreciate it. and how do you pronounce D'addario ??? this is the way i say it but i think its wrong (Dee-uh-da-Rio) thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:56 PM

Try Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (.09). I use them on most of my guitars. You just need practice, you'll develop more finger strength with time. I used to struggle with 11s, but now I keep my Les Paul strung with 13s when I can find them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

thanks. but do you play rythm? i can play on 13s easily for rythm but for soloing its a whole diffrent story. can you actually like shred on those 13s? and by any chance, do you know what string guage jason becker used?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:30 PM
EKG

Try them all: D'addario, Ernie Ball. GHS, etc. You have to experiment to find what you are comfortable with. I would suggest starting with a standard pack of 9's. Or try a hybrid pack: 9-46. I recently moved to 10's with a very low E. Love em! Or you can even try the Zakk Wylde GHS Boomers that have an 070 for the low E ;-)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:40 PM

Many companies make these light top, heavy bottom strings, which is pretty much what Eddie is talking about, they have the low end like heavier strings (even up to .52) and .09's on the high E. I used to have Dean Markley LTHB which were heavy enough for rhythm, and very easy to solo on, recently i moved up to regular 10's though...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:05 AM

strings are quite subjective, really depends on which gauge works best for you i started off with 9-42s which i really like but decided to try 10-46s later on but they were just too stiff for me. so i went back to 9-42s and have been happy ever since!

based on my personal research, i found that D'Addarios last longer than Ernie Balls and Dean Markleys about the same as D'Addarios
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:47 AM

I like 9-46, kind of a nice blend of somewhat heavy bottom end and easily bendable top end.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 05:02 AM

LP has got a shorter scale, so 9's feel like rubber on it. 13 is still kinda tough. Or at least it sounds tough, I've never tried 13's.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 11:56 AM

I play my S series with .012's....and I can solo and bend fine. Then again, I'm 6'4 with big hands, and I play acoustic almost all the time, so the fingers get used to it. It's all just a matter of taste though.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:40 PM

Quote:
i was wondering if its even possible to solo on these strings or are they more for rythm becuase i know james hetfield from metallica uses these
so does Kirk so yes it is possible. But don't follow anyone just do what your hands desire.

It really depends on the physical make up of your hand (strong/big bones, muscles, injury prone - athritis).

Don't use 10's if you don't like em.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 03:19 AM

put one of those finger-squeeze toys in your car. so whenever you drive you can work your fretting hand. get your fingers all worked separately, don't forget the thumb. i tried some Elixir strings this last time around, and they work alright. they supposedly last 3-4 times longer than most strings because of an anti-grease, rust coating or something, and they might last a little longer. i'm still in the process of trying different brands of strings to find what i like.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 10:36 AM

10-46's are awesome to solo on. took me some getting used to after I switched from 9's, but I love the extra tension on the strings. it makes bending the strings so much more fun.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 PM

Dean Markley has amazing customer service The other day I had a couple of packs of defective strings. I snapped a whole bunch in a very short period of time, all where the string winds around itself to hold the ball end on. I sent an unhappy e-mail to Dean Markley about it the same day, and later I received in the mail 4 packs of Dean Markley Mediums (11s), 3 packs of Medium/Heavy (11E, others are thicker), and 3 packs of Medium Blue Steels.

Tags
dean markley , ernie ball , ernie balls , jason becker , les paul , string guage , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode