Guys, plz recommend me an amp(under500$) rock/metal/blues - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Guys, plz recommend me an amp(under500$) rock/metal/blues

Hi guys, can you please recommend me an amplifier, preferably under 500$, that will cover metal/rock/blues? I'm a versatile guitar player who likes music from metal to classical.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about amps;I'm much better with guitars and playing.

Well, I have a Jackson SL3 (sorry no Ibanez lol, atm...) with 2 single coil Seymour Duncans Hot Rails and a JB Seymour Duncan (think Marty Friedman) in the bridge.

I will probably buy it off e b a y anyway, since there alot of great deals there.

Looking for something at home use, but want to be able to do a small gig, maybe like Open mic night. I heard some good stuff about line 6 flextone, or Peavey Vypyrs, maybe the 6505 series. Some guy wanted to sell me a
Fender Gdec30, heard those were crap.

I'm open to all suggestions and would appreciate it o soooooooooooo much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Guys, plz recommend me an amp(under500$) rock/metal/blues

Well you should definetely look into the following :

VHT LEAD 20 Combo, Peavey XXX combo, Peavey 6505+ combo. VHT and XXX have great cleans and can get to Ultra high gain territory easily. I use my XXX for Satriani - Van Halen stuff. The 6505+ combo sounds great but lacks in cleans...

I would also suggest a Peavey Classic 30 but you wont get near to metal with that amp...If clean stuff and rock is closer to your thing you should also look at a Blackstar HT 20. Fantastic sounding amp
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey man, I'm going to look into those Peavey amps. Is Peavey the best for that price range? You don't like anything from Marshall or Line6?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Reviews: 59

Depends on your ideas for volume at home use, but I'd look into the Blackstar HT-20 (a little outside of $500 but pretty close and very nice), otherwise, used XXX or Peavey Classic 30 with some pedals. If you're looking solid state, as your original post suggests, there's a ton of options in the sub-$500 range. Go to an amp store and try them all and see what works for you.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm eyeing the 6150 combo and the XXX combo amps from Peavey.

Also, the Line 6 Flextone is really standing out to me... I have a hardtime choosing amps.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 AM

Reviews: 120

Definitely a Blackstar HT-20.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Reviews: 1

I'd take the XXX over the 6505 anyday. It's a more versatile amp. You can have great cleans that you can also use with distortion pedals (it takes pedals very well) and you can just flick the switch to an Ultra high gain sound There's also an FX model.

The Blackstar HT 20 is a fantastic sounding and usable amp. The only problem with it is that it wont give you the most metal sounds out there, but it's fantastic for Clean,rock,blues,hard rock.

The Flextone is also a great amp but once you play tube amps you'll never go back If you buy a tube amp, buy something that's 40 watts maximum. More than that will be useless if you don't play live or rehearse a huge volumes
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
rgr

XXX 60W 3-channel combo, much better than the 2 channel with built-in effects. If you can find one for $500, grab it.

Blackstar HT series, I'm using a HT-40 and it's a great amp, but they are $799 new. $500 is kind of a limiter on tube amps.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

As always, just go try out a bunch of amps and see which one you like best.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 PM

whatever you do go tube, it's not a hoax, tube amps are much better sounding than solid state, beware though of wattqage, you'll have torun them loud so that they truly fulfill.

regards,
Nelson
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

Reviews: 59

+1 to the tube route.
Wattage is a key consideration. For small gigs and (very loud) home use, I really wouldn't go more than 30-50 watts with a tube amp (less if you intend to run the amp to overdrive without a pedal). 20 watts tube will more than do it for you, especially if you don't mind a little grit in your clean tones.
I'd also highly recommend scouring the used market after you figure out what you like because you can find some real steals.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM

5150,dsl2000(50w) carvin legacy should be in your price range
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all your guys help.

I picked up a Peavey Vypyr 60 watt Tube amp.

I'm really love it. Your right, it's very loud, I have to turn it to 1 at night, and it's still pretty loud lol

I'm loving the JSX setting with some chorus!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:21 AM

If your going the line 6 vypyr route try the vox vt 50 then the peavey vypyr tube 60. Both are good for the money. I have a vox vt 50 as my practice amp. I wouldnt gig with it but its killer for jamming on..

Tags
amps guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode