H&K Access - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

H&K Access

Does anyone have or has anyone played an H&K Access preamp? They go used pretty cheap and I was wondering if someone could describe the kinds of tones it produces. Much thanks!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:23 PM

Reviews: 1
It rules, truly. I have used one for two years. Only reason I sold it was that I wanted a tube-head again (sold the entire rack).

When they came out, they were like $3000. They were state of the art then and all the options still are. It doesn't sound dated either.

Channel 1 is solid state clean, but what a clean. Sounds better than most all-tube amps I played/heared. From warm and dark to trebly with a lot of attack. Almost impossible to distort.

Channel 2 (tubes) is Marshall territory. It can do a really great clean sound, but you can also crank it up till JCM800 territory. Really cool!

Channel 3 (tubes) is all high gain. It rips! Dynamic, very punchy. Great fluid leads or heavy rythem. Very quiet on noise (try the Triaxis on high gain )

The EQ is very sensitive. You can do alot with it (128 discrete steps to dial in!)

There are many more buttons to push (very handy mid and treble-boosts!) , a lot of effectloop-possibilities, and some handy switch-jacks to control other stuff. All sounds can be stored in 128 presets. It really can act as the brain of your setup to0 (midi-mapper, effectloops, switcher,etc.)

I could have bought a Triaxis at the time, but I liked this one better, really!

If you got any more questions, feel free to mail me.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 PM

I've had one for about 2 years now. Many people compare this unit to the Mesa/Boogie Triaxis, but it is actually more programmable and versatile, IMHO. Reviews on Harmony Central give this preamp a 9.4 OVERALL RATING compared to a 9.1 for the Triaxis. The access uses three different internal preamps, CLEAN, TUBE 1 and TUBE 2 using 12AX7 tubes to provide 128 different presets. The CLEAN is warm and glassy, the TUBE 1 preamp gives you a tight Marshall Plexi to JCM 800 like sound and the TUBE 2 preamp offers over-the-top very articulate sustainy/liquid gain very similiar to a Soldano. Each channel allows you to dial in individual patch volume, bass, middle, treble and presence. Each patch can also be programmed for a treble and/or mid boost to push solos and lead parts up front of the mix. Another unique feature is the External Preamp Loop allowing you to connect any additional external preamp to the ACCESS and incorporate it into the ACCESS programs as well as eq it. With the floorboard you can control your whole rack with the access.
I know where there is one for sale if your interested.

Tags
boogie triaxis , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode