Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Half Stack Or Combo?? Please Help.

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  guitarshredder7 
#1 ·
I just cant decide what format of amp to go for. Im deciding on either a 1 x 12 combo with a 4 x 12 cab for gigs, or just a half stack. All Tube. This is my situation:

At home i need to play pretty quiet

At band practice we play quite loud, there is a marshall cab there but i would prefer to get the same sound i get at home.

At gigs i would use a 4 x 12 cab.

So the question is, will a combo plugged into a cab sound as good as a half stack, or is half stack the way to go for best tone. The combos r smaller and ive heard something about them not being as beefy when plugged into a cab as a normal head.

#6 ·
Well, have you thought about the 2x12 route?

Scenario 1:
You could get a 2x12 combo (with speaker extension option) & an additional 2x12 cab. You could run the combo at home, but then, mate your combo to the additional 2x12 cab at practice which gives you the four 12s you want!

Scenario 2:
Get a head & TWO 2x12 cabs. You can have one cab at home & one at practice. You would then have numerous other options, such as...
1. Running a single cab for smaller venues
2. Running both cabs for larger venues
3. Running both in a true stereo application (splitting the cabs with one on each side of the stage)
4. Running one open-backed cab for cleans & one closed-backed cab for distortions.

2x12s solve a lot of versatility & portability issues. You won't break your back when it comes time to transport your gear. I plan to replace my 412 for a pair of 212s in the near future.

#10 ·
Get a 100W 1x12 combo all tube, with half-power mode. If you find, in time, that you need to project a lot of sound on stage, you can always hook your 1x12 combo up to a 4x12 cab or even a full stack or rnet or borrow one for the occasion.

When you mike a cabinet it's usually just one speaker anyway. So for the PA sound it doesn't do much. At practice the 1x12 100W is enough. For instance the internals and the outputs on my 4101 (100W 1x12) are exactly the same as those on the 4100 (head) or the 4102 (2x12) all three have two speaker outputs, and an impedance switch to accommodate 1x12, 1x12+1x12, 2x12, 2x12+2x12, 4x12 and 4x12+4x12. Some cabs have impedance switches too for some more flexibility. Some amps allow you to tailor the sound to compensate a bit for sounds of the open back cabinet vs closed back.

BTW, you cannot go stereo with just a single standard head, you need two or a rare stereo head, most of which are solid state.

But I've got to admit that a half stack just looks and sounds awesome.

#12 ·
depends on the amp you have. i have a mesa mark iv head running two widebody 1x12 cabs. and it sounds much beefier than my other guitarists whos running a marshall tsl100 head through a 1960 4x12. i'd go with a head so you can play with cabs. but i dont' think ti's necessary to get a "half stack"

#13 ·
phlame said:
Heads usually have more tubes, which will make them sound "beefier"

Edit: Post 666
And full size transformers too.

I asked people on other forums if they ever pulled the 2 outside tubes to make a 100 watt head 50 watts and if that works well. Pretty much everyone who replied said they did it, it didn't sound as good so they put them back in.

That said, a good combo amp can be your friend. A 2x12 combo is loud enough to make you go deaf and more easily portable, and wont make you go deaf as fast as a 200 watt half or fullstack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.