Hanging guitars ( Best Type ) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Hanging guitars ( Best Type )

Hey everyone. I have very active baby in the house so my guitars need to go up out of reach. I purchased some slatwall board and Hercules hangers. Like these http://www.lamusic.ca/Hercules-GSP40...-p/gsp40sb.htm

Im noticing that they don't swivel and my Ibanez seem to hang slightly to the left. This seems like it would be putting uneccesacry stress on the necks. Should I bring this stuff back and get some swivel hangers instead ? Or maybe shim the foam a bit to even out the way the neck sits in the hanger to level out the guitar ? Any ideas or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Hanging guitars ( Best Type )

The soft side of the Velcro (see solution below for accident prevention) can be effective to compensate for the lack of tilt. They come in different widths and black use the soft side up and they self-stick.

Can you pass on the slatboard and use these better ones direct mounted so a kid can't knock the slatboard mount off the board? Ideally mount them to 1x6" then mount that to hits studs. I use these and they swivel - click here

Either way more important is keeping kids from bumping (lifting) the guitar off the hanger. A solution i found to this is the Velcro stips below to secure the headstock to the hanger. They stay on the hangar, loop soft side to the neck and eliminate any accidents (guitar can't come off the hanger).

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 PM

I HATED those Hercules hangers, btw.

But, I wouldn't worry about the guitar hanging at a slight tilt - I can't see it doing any harm to the guitar.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

OK perfect because i got some more hangers that are loose fitting now so they can swivel but when I put a level to the neck sometimes there out and sometimes there OK. A slight tilt can throw it out but assume depending on how the body weight is distributed the guitar will find its center point even thou that center point may not be level.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
OK perfect because i got some more hangers that are loose fitting now so they can swivel but when I put a level to the neck sometimes there out and sometimes there OK. A slight tilt can throw it out but assume depending on how the body weight is distributed the guitar will find its center point even thou that center point may not be level.
I promise you, this won't hurt the guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode