hard disc recorder vs. computer - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

hard disc recorder vs. computer

Is there a compelling reason that I should not be thinking of getting one of the hard disc recorders like a tascam or boss? I do have a computer that would probably handle the recording software, but the idea of a unit I can take to friends houses is appealing. I do have a sm57 or two around the house already...

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 AM

Re: hard disc recorder vs. computer

Nope. Plenty of good reasons to go that way. But since you already have a PC that you could do fancymixdowns on (standalone recorders are often lacking in some FX, and none have the flexibility of a good PC program), I'd choose one with an eye toward uploading files into the PC. Most have some way of doing this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 34

The only reason not to do hard disk is price as far as I am concerned.

Although I do all mone on a PC
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 AM

I can't see why anyone would want to work on a stand alone HD recorder, except for maybe portability. And even then a laptop is better. Let's see, a 15"-17" color screen, or a tiny B&W screen? No thanks. I'll never go back. Plus, how are you going to expand upon a stand alone? In most cases it's limited or impossible.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 AM

PC recording is cool, and even with a slightly slower cpu you can do lotsa stuff (self running AMD athlon 1GHz, Cubase SE, EA Layla 3G).

The only ****ty thing is to get that muthaquacker STABLE and solid. It's possible but can be a pain in the mighty behind.

If I had some $$$ and could do it all over again, I'd get a Mac in a heartbeat.

You should also be aware of the fact that having all those options available may actually have an adverse effect on your creativity. That said, once you have your basic tools figured out and have ditched the whatchamacallits, you're good to rock.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 AM

Well, the original poster specifically mentioned portability. Plus, if you don't already have a laptop, the cost is considerable - laptop, sound card/device that doesn't suck, maybe an extra hard drive. You can get an 8 track HD recorder for much less, record wherever, and xfer files to your main PC if you want all the fancy stuff. I do this myself and it works out well. I actually HAVE a laptop that has enough balls to record well, but I don't use it that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode