Hardrive help!!!!!! Got my Hardrive - but cant make it a basic volume! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Hardrive help!!!!!! Got my Hardrive - but cant make it a basic volume!

ok
so ive bought

so im running a imac 2.4 GHz intel core duo
1 gb of ddr2 ram

and i bought:

a Western Drive My Book Studio edition 640 gigabyte

it shows up on the desktop (as a folder?)
I open Protools (LE 7.4)
and start a session, it wont let me save the session to the hardrive.

so i save it elsewhere for now

and i go into workspace and change the drive to R but it wont let me (says its not a valid volume or something)

im out of ideas, Please help
yes im running it from firewire 400(drive) to 800(pc) and ive tried 400 to 400
im about to reinstall protools

also
when i open protools it sais Hardrive Registration - i click next, and then it wont let me type anything (no boxes to type in) and wont let me click next!

thanks so much and sorry for the long post

cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Re: Hardrive help!!!!!! Got my Hardrive - but cant make it a basic volume!

hey,
i got an external hardrive, and i couldnt save anything on to it, so i formatted it to make it work with time machine, now it works fine and i can save stuff to it, only problem is, is that you cant then use the hardrive with windows cause windows doesnt recognize it.
id get a few more replies from other users on here before doing what iv just said because there might be somethin else you can do
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 18

I'll second the reformat idea.

Jimmy
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 AM

yeah you have to format. macs don't work with NTFS! you can share windows drives through a network but won't be able to write to them. if you want to write to them, you must format them to make them a format apple will see. if you have files on them already, which you don't, it goes without saying that you need to move them off first, then format the drive, then move them back. good luck. i too was thinking of getting an imac down the road as $$ permits. how is that working out for you and why did you make the switch. i have seen it in action and is a much more stable OS for heavy HD video editing and audio production, even though my pc's are pretty good at it now...but in a nutshell, better for complex file formats i require.

Last edited by shredmaster; 07-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Tags
firewire , hardrive , mybook , protools , western digital

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode