Has anyone had GAS for nothing in particular? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone had GAS for nothing in particular?

Seriously... Last week I got the craziest bout of GAS. I just wanted to buy something, I didn't particularly care what. I found myself, a lifelong strat player and tube snob, posting threads over at sevenstring.org asking for opinions on the Epi LP7's and the PodXT just for a late night recording rig, and I'm still half-contemplating trading my RG1527 for a Schecter Loomis OFR.

It's mostly passed, I've come to my senses and gotten over the Pod and LP, but man, for three or four days there it was the strangest thing ever, I found myself seriously contemplating buying gear that I would have absolutely no use for.

Am I alone here? Something tells me no...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Re: Has anyone had GAS for nothing in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
It's mostly passed
hee hee...maybe you should become a vegetarian

Myself, I'll stick with beef=GAS

I don't think it ever goes away, but rather gets worse as you age
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, like anything it comes in bouts. Last week was just a particularly bad one.
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 6

Most of the stuff I want is quite comfortably out of my price range. So I don't really worry about it at all. Not going to have money for a custom built Veilette 7-string any time soon. There's also quite a few amps I wish I could afford. Since I can't I don't worry about it. I've got a pile of nice gear that's treating me very well.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM

im in your boat jemweilder, but nearly jumpin into the neighboring one...only because i want effects
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM

I've always got GAS. There's just so much great gear out there, and new stuff comes out all the time, so how's a guitarist supposed to hold off the GAS attacks?

Rock on!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM

I haven't had amp GAS since my Rivera arrived. As far as guitars go, I'm jonesing for an Artist AR300 when they finally start shipping into the US. A Martin 000-28 would help cure my acoustic GAS as well.

Don't even get me started on pedals!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Unexpected bouts of GAS can actually be a good thing. Impulsive and/or sudden acquisition of gear can be a symptom, at least for me, that I need to branch out or broaden my musical horizons a little bit.

It's kind of like that old stereotype (that's entirely based in reality, I might add) about pregnant women suddenly finding themselves craving weird foods or somewhat unorthodox combinations of "normal" foods (anchovies and ice cream, for example). There is significant precedent that suggests that pregnant women "crave" these things because those foods or combinations thereof contain nutrients or other ingredients that their bodies need in order to remain healthy and sane during their pregnancy. It's like their bodies know what they need, and subconsciously communicate that information to the brain, creating, in effect, "FAS" or food acquisition syndrome.

So, when I find myself GAS-ing really bad, I often find that it's my mind's way of telling me, in a roundabout way, that I need to mix things up a bit; whether that's by getting a new pedal, trying a new style of music, screwing around with alternate tunings, or whatever. As often as not, I can get past the GAS attack by simply trying something new and unusual with my existing rig. None of this is to say that it always works, mind you, so I still find myself acquiring at least a few new pedals or other pieces of gear every several months; sometimes, to the point of overkill. Thank god for GC's fairly liberal return policy.

To continue the pregnancy metaphor a little bit more, and not to be too obtuse about there's a common expression that states that pregnant women are "eating for two". What they often forget is that the other person they're eating for is NOT Orson Welles.

Take that however you will as it pertains to the subject.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM

I suffer from constant GAS and can't help but buy and trade for more gear!! Also being single and having no children leaves me with no responsibilities for anyone but me. So I spend my hard earned cash on lots of lovely gear. But I must admit that having around 30 guitars and 6 amps is getting a bit excessive
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm the same as Gurj, I'm working over-time and live with my parents so I have hardly any bills but make tons of money. (im not a bum just young) I keep saying I'd "like to" start saving my money, but everytime a get a few grand I start seeing a sweet amp or guitar to get. Just last night I felt like I wanted to buy something, so without needing it at all I went and bought a new pickup and a pedal haha. Currently I am getting ready to buy a new amp (VHT Sig:X)
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Gurj and Lifeofsobriety:
You guys suck.

Blah blah blah...we're young, hip, have basically no exorbitant living expenses or financial responsibilities, and we have loads of expendable cash...blah blah blah.

I hate you both.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM

As much as I wish I was, I'm not that young. In fact, I'm 35 today Plus I don't live with my parents!!! I do have a mortgage and lots of bills! Just no kids to suck my wallet dry!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
As much as I wish I was, I'm not that young. In fact, I'm 35 today Plus I don't live with my parents!!! I do have a mortgage and lots of bills! Just no kids to suck my wallet dry!
OK...so I'll append my statement somewhat...
I hate that other guy...
You, I just resent...

Yep...know how you feel, though. I turned 35 two months ago, but I'm also married (no kids yet), and have a mortgage, lots o'bills, the usual.
I guess I shouldn't complain. While I can't just go out and get a JEM every other week, I suppose I'm not doing to bad.

Still...there's that nagging "guy" thing that just makes me pine for proverbial fjords, as it were.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I fall on the same category as Gurj (single, no other obligations etc).
I am on a constant quest for tone, feel, LOOKS (yes, a guitar should look sexy, I will post later my new custom pickguard on my striped-to-the-wood LNG), so I can baby myself with gear that is well apreciated and respected but not played to the full extend.
Almost 50 guitars laying around and 3 amps (ouch, I need to catch up on this) are far more than what I need or can handle but since I don't smoke, I drink socially etc, I can afford small pleasures of life
Oh, here it comes again, I must rush my way to try a VHT.... Sorry, I am already out the door
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
In fact, I'm 35 today
Happy Birthday mate

Hope you have a good day

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , custom pickguard , double cutaway , electro harmonix , engl powerball , guitar shop , les paul , local guitar shop , strat plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode