Heil/Dunlop Talk Box - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Heil/Dunlop Talk Box

Anyone have one of these things made famous by Frampton, Sambora, Slash, et al? I just got one not to long ago. Been messing around with it and my marshall MG100 and I never can get the volumes to balance. When I set the amp to a level so the mic picks up the sound out of the talkbox, switching back to just the amp blows down my house. The levels are just way unbalanced. I was thinking about getting an A/B switcher, and just using my POD to drive the talkbox, or just use my marshall to drive it and use the pod on a lower wattage amp. Whoa...kinda a long rant there , just wondering if anyone else has a talkbox, and there opinions on it and whatnot.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 05:33 PM

Hi,

Sounds like you might have a mike/pa issue. All the talkbox is, as you probably already know, is a metal box with a speaker, plastic tube, and a bypass switch. So if you're having to crank your amp to get your mike to pick up the sound it might be:
1) bad mike/mike cable, etc
2) do you have the ohms matched up? I think the talk box [email protected] 8 ohms
3) What are you running the mike into? Do you have a mike pre, are you running into another amp? or a p.a board? It does matter, some mikes have much lower output than others and need a mike pre to boost the signal.
I regularly use a heil with a mesa triple recto into a P.A system with a SM 57, and have no problems with balance. It also depends on what kinda sound you want out of it as well. Do you want to use the heil as an accent or are you intending on using as a large part of your sound?
The heil isn't bad, but another company makes a self-power one, which seems like a good idea...but I can not remember right now which company it is...its not an obscure one to be sure. Hope that helps, at least gives ya some other tangents to go on to solve your problem. Good luck! Tobe

Tags
triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode