HEL me out with MIDI switching device :) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

HEL me out with MIDI switching device :)

This is a simple rack setup I'm going to build,
Engl 520/Mesa 2:90/T.C G-Major
Now, what I need is a midi device to control and program patches for the pre and power amps. Not only to control, but to program patches so I can choose which ever patches when I'm playing live, is this possiable if I biught some kind of midi device? Both of the Engl 520(some of them do) and the Mesa 2:90 dosen't support MIDI control. What I want to do is be able to program patches with different voicings on the 2:90 and different channels(with different eq) on the 520, mix them with effect from the G-major then set it as a patch, then when ever I need that patch I can just use it with a simple tap on the midi foot switch.
Do you ppl understand what I'm saying? SOrry for the bad english
THANK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 06:27 AM

Re: HEL me out with MIDI switching device :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwannabe
What I want to do is be able to program patches with different voicings on the 2:90 and different channels(with different eq) on the 520, mix them with effect from the G-major then set it as a patch, then when ever I need that patch I can just use it with a simple tap on the midi foot switch.
Well, you can use something like the Nobels MS4 to make the substitute the swithcing functions your Pre- and pwoeramp do have... however you cannot 'save' different settings for one channel of your preamp.

Actually the thing you are looking for is a MIDI-Switcher.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 09:08 AM

You can use your G-Major as a midi switcher for two " jacks using a Y-Splitter Relay Jack Cable from the stereo Switch Out stereo jack on the back left of the unit. I used to use mine to switch channels on a Mesa Formula Pre, which wasn't midi capable either. The Switches can be set to shorted or open for each patch (so they switch automatically when you send a program change message) and can also be triggered by control change messages from the midi pedal by assigning a corresponding CC channel in the Mod menu. This is all detailed in the manual....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

So there is no way to program different settings on the preamp with out midi capbilities right?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 10:11 AM

something like the dmc ground control pro would allow you to control the g-major and the engl (if its midi controllable) allowing you to bring up combinations of presets from the g-major and the engl (again assuming the engl is midi controllable...i can't remember) and then as mentioned above, you could use the 1/4" relay jack to switch modes on the 2:90...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
So there is no way to program different settings on the preamp with out midi capbilities right?
No. Not if you will not heavily mod your preamp... and even then a 580 would be cheaper
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
If you have a channel-switching preamp that has " TRS jacks to control the channel switching, then you can change channels when you change your patches on the G-Major via the G-Major's external relay switching functionality. But lets think for a moment about the rest of your request: "programming" different "settings"? Where are you going to "store" the "settings"? How are you going to send the changes in control settings (EQ, channel, volume, gain) to the preamp? Think about how your preamp works - you turn a pot (whether Bass, Treble, or Volume) and the value changes, which subsequently changes the sound because your signal is passing through the pot on it's journey from input to output. Now how can you "store" any "setting" of that pot in another completely different device, and call it up again for the preamp later?

The only way would be to have a very sophisticated, midi-controlled system of motors tied into a logic board that you could attach by belt or gear to the pots on your preamp. This would cost thousands of dollars to do. The only system I know that does this is Soldano's uber-high-end preamp (I forget the name).

But I guess my real point is that if you're going to start building a rack system, you should think very carefully about HOW your gear functions, and WHAT you want to do with it; I don't mean that you need to know how to read a schematic or build an amp from scratch here, but you should certainly know that you can't use a midi control change message to affect the EQ on a preamp that has no built-in facility for that (because the EQ in your preamp is an analog pot you set manually, not a numeric parameter that can be stored and recalled within the unit) because not knowing these things are going to cost you in the end in terms of time, frustration and money...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I've just got a Engl 520 from ebay for 370. I know its desgned with midi capbilities, but this one was not moded seems to me many weren't, but the seller mentioned something about a midi kit for the 520, he just dosen't know if its still available. This preamp can save patches if it has the midi mod, and you can call up the patchese just like any other midi pres. Does anyone know if I can still get the midi kit? Or if some company like voodooamps will make for me?

check out the pic, on the left rear you can see the midi plugs covered up,
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25289791NccniT

thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:04 PM

drop a line to engl...

Tags
foot switch , midi foot , midi pedal , power amp , power amps , rack setup , rack system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode