Help choosig between these amps!!plz! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Help choosig between these amps!!plz!

Hello everyone,

I've done my part of the research but I'm still afraid I'll choose the wrong amp...I like all of the following but I'll finally choose by combining your thoughts with mine!

Here are the amps I can buy (used) :
1) Marshall 6101 LM combo. one of the 97-99 models
2) Marshall DSL 401 or 201 combo
3) Peavey Classic 30
4) Blackstar HT club 20

I know the 6101 will rock my world but I'm having some of the following thoughts...1)1997-99 is quite old and I'm afraid of beeing the user that the amps fails on after all these years...am I wrong?? 2) Some people say it overheats to meltdown...will a fan solve my problems completely??

I could also buy a JSX head which I'm so in love with but unfortunately I have no use for it since we rehearse at my place and gig 2 times a month at most.

I need an amp that will play at low volumes and loud to keep up with band by micing it or by hooking up a 2x12/4x12. I will also be using the amp for recording. We play instrumental rock music and I'm the lead guitarist in the band.

What are your thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Re: Help choosig between these amps!!plz!

I dont know about the overheating issue but just because the amp is a little old doesnt mean its gonna break
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 AM

Reviews: 120

HT20.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM

the over heat issue is a Marshall model problem most were solved by installing a fan never heard about any peavey 30 over heat issues
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Ive never come across anyone who dosent love a Blackstar, I have the HT20 Head and cab and its fantastic.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Reviews: 59

The Blackstar is great, I also like the JSX and I'm sure you can get one cheap now that they're discontinuing the model. It sounds good at lower volumes and awesome when turned up. I'd probably go for either of those.
I would have the same concerns with the 6100 as the JSX with it's volumes and usage in your circumstances (not that it isn't a great amp).
I'd probably consider the Classic 30 a step down from the others even though it's a very capable amp.

Last edited by smooth55; 10-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Tags
marshall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode