Help Choosing a Delay Pedal - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Help Choosing a Delay Pedal

I need help choosing a delay pedal guys. I've been looking at a lot of different ones and they all have their pros and cons. Here's a list of my stuff I've been thinking of getting:

Keeley/Ibanez AD-9
This pedal sounds really cool. It's analog, it's true-bypass and it's got a cool little feature where the stock stockswitch is used for feedback/occilating delays. I like it because it's small and can use a voodoo labs power block.

Line 6 Echo Park
This pedal also sounds really cool. I like it for the immense power that it packs, all the delays and modes you could possably want with a tap tempo. Problem is it's Line 6, it's the EMG of the amp/effect world "it's sounds too digital... it's too lifeless blah blah blah even the analog settings sound too digital". Another problem is it uses a Line 6 power connector, while the voodoo labs power pack +2 says it'll power Line 6 pedals, a lot of people seem to be getting lots of noise and stuff if they don't use the OEM adaptor.

Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus/Delay
This pedal is freakin cool because it's 2 pedals in one. You get true analog chorus and a analog voiced digital delay, each channel can be used independently or together. I like it because it's cheap (I can get it for less than $100) and it sounds pretty good. My concern is, no true bypass and made in China (cheap parts).

Analog Man/Boss DD-6
Why not add the tride and true in here? Modified with a switch to make it sound more analog'y. My only concern? Everybody uses it. I wanna sound slightly different ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Re: Help Choosing a Delay Pedal

I have a Line 6 DL4 (the Echo Park's big brother) I absolutely love it. I sold off my rack delay because this is so cool. I can have a long digital delay for solos, a slapback Roland Space Echo type sound for cleans, and a analog tube echo type sound for spacey 60s rock tunes. It has so many delays, and options. You should give it a look, plus it is true bypass, and has tap tempo. It also is stereo so if you have a stereo setup (rack users), it can accomodate.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 AM

+1 on the AD-9
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:05 AM

The echopark sounds great. Mine was quiet with the pedal power 2. Keep in mind that it wants an instrument level signal, so if you are going into an effects loop with it, make sure its instrument level.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM

I think it depends on how you're gonna be using it. Are you going to be doing more reverb/echo noises to make your sound fuller or are you going to be using it for more extreme purposes? I think the AD 9 would be better for natural sounding echo-type usage, but the DD6 for the more "out there" stuff.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:59 PM

I'd go with the Line 6 Echo Park. I have it and it's amazing, especially for a digital unit. The analog mode sounds pretty darn real too.

IMO, you get WAY more bang for buck buying the Echo Park versus the AD-9 or the DD-6. My friend has a DD-6, but actually sold it to go out and get an Echo Park after having played around with mine.

As much as I tend to stray away from Line 6, the Echo Park is a winner.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 PM

The Line 6s DO sound good.
Albeit, they're a little heavy, if you're transporting your pedal board.
I have an AM modded DD3 and its everything I could want in a delay.
A toggle switch for analog tone, yet all the delay times digital offers.
And there's times when I need a crystal clear delay tone also, so I use the stock setting.
Small, bulletproof pedal.

Tags
delay pedal , pedal board , toggle switch , voodoo lab , voodoo labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode