help finding an amp. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

help finding an amp.

hey guys in need of some help been out of the game for awhile. im looking for an amp for in home use for now. my styles are satriani, van halen, 80s rock etc. i have been looking at the vox valvetronix vt100 for awhile and like what i see. its a combo amp so im not sure how it will do when adding in pedals. the guitar will be a js1200. im open to ANY sugestions. the price range in 1000 or so. thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Re: help finding an amp.

If it is just for home and you want the Vox save yourself some money and get the 50 watt, plenty loud enough if you decide to gig with it too. $1000 should see you get a nice tube amp though? Have you checked out the new Marshall Haze?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
If it is just for home and you want the Vox save yourself some money and get the 50 watt, plenty loud enough if you decide to gig with it too. $1000 should see you get a nice tube amp though? Have you checked out the new Marshall Haze?
wow! those look pretty good! wich one though? the Marshall Haze MHZ40C 40W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp or the Marshall Haze MHZ15 Half Stack? would the half stack be too loud? and would the combo sound ok adding pedals into the mix? these good for my styles of play and sound? and thaks for the help!
paul
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 59

It really comes down to volume levels and use desires. If you're going hobbyist with mostly home playing, I'd stick to stuff like the Vox stuff, Haze, Blackstar HT series, Rebel 30 (yet to hit shelves but looks interesting) and you'll be well within your budget buying new. I'd lean towards all tube but the Vox hybrid stuff is very solid.
If you want something to play shows with, the Haze and Rebel will do for small gigs but there's plenty of other options new and used in the $750-1000 range that might be better for your tastes.
As a personal rule, I tend to stay away from amps with built in effects. They tend to be lesser quality and more limited programability than stand alone units, not always the case but it's my general experience. Other people will say they like not having a pedal board or at least, as large a pedal board, because their amp has stuff in it already.
Bottom line: Assess what your needs/wants are and then go to GC or similar guitar stores, pull a JS 1000/1200 off the rack and try it with every amp there.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
It really comes down to volume levels and use desires. If you're going hobbyist with mostly home playing, I'd stick to stuff like the Vox stuff, Haze, Blackstar HT series, Rebel 30 (yet to hit shelves but looks interesting) and you'll be well within your budget buying new. I'd lean towards all tube but the Vox hybrid stuff is very solid.
If you want something to play shows with, the Haze and Rebel will do for small gigs but there's plenty of other options new and used in the $750-1000 range that might be better for your tastes.
As a personal rule, I tend to stay away from amps with built in effects. They tend to be lesser quality and more limited programability than stand alone units, not always the case but it's my general experience. Other people will say they like not having a pedal board or at least, as large a pedal board, because their amp has stuff in it already.
Bottom line: Assess what your needs/wants are and then go to GC or similar guitar stores, pull a JS 1000/1200 off the rack and try it with every amp there.
thanks smooth55. i hear ya on the amps with built in effects. i like to use pedals to get the sounds I want. ive heard that some of the amps that have lots of built in effects sound bad when you introduce pedals and thats my main concern. there are just sooo many amps out there it gets over whelming. i love satch and VH so ill be playing alot of that. i just want an amp that will sound good and have good tone on the high gain stuff. pedals im looking to purchase are the MXR M-108 if i need it, Vox Satchurator, Vox Big Bad Wah, VOX TIME MACHINE and the BBE SONIC STOMP MAXIMIZER. i really need your help. so what amp do you think would work the best for that and still be able to play at home with good sound. im looking for the best up to about 1000 or a tad more. thanks.
paul
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i saw the Blackstar HT series amp head goes for 299 wich is cool but what cab to go with it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

i just watched the video on the rebel 30 and it sounded great to me. how do you think it will handle added in effects pedals?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

I can only speculate from what I've heard of online demo's with the HT5 and the Rebel 30. I've played the Rebel 20 and it was a great amp. If the 30 is similar, it'll be pretty sweet. As for taking pedals well, that's as much to do with the pedals as the amp itself but I'd expect these to handle pretty well. For the price, the HT5 is pretty dang nice. It's only drawback is limited headroom for clean sounds but that's not an issue if you'll be playing at home mostly. You best bet for cabs would be to take the head and try it with their cabs seeing what you like.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can only speculate from what I've heard of online demo's with the HT5 and the Rebel 30. I've played the Rebel 20 and it was a great amp. If the 30 is similar, it'll be pretty sweet. As for taking pedals well, that's as much to do with the pedals as the amp itself but I'd expect these to handle pretty well. For the price, the HT5 is pretty dang nice. It's only drawback is limited headroom for clean sounds but that's not an issue if you'll be playing at home mostly. You best bet for cabs would be to take the head and try it with their cabs seeing what you like.
would both of those be better suited for at home play? the rebel 30 also comes in the 2x12 as well. i think for about 1000.
the thing about the HT5 cab is that i have zero gear at home right now. the js1200 will be soon. the nearest GC is 80 miles away and i dont want to have to buy the head then take it up there to see what works. I DO NOT want to play in a store right now. 10 years off is along time. im hoping to get advice on a cab and then role the dice. i can always return the cab if i dont like it.
i did however like how the rebel 30 sounded.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM

My bad, I didn't realize you were that far from a music store. I'd probably say to get a 1X12 or two for home use with an HT-5. I played the Rebel 20 with it's matching cab and then with an Epiphone 1X12 for the Valve Junior and I liked the Epi better (it's also cheaper). I also don't think you'd go wrong with a good mesa cab. You'd probably be set with anything that had Celestion V30's in it. I've read good things about the HT-5 paired with V30's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode