Help with freeze pedal power - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Help with freeze pedal power

I got a freeze pedal from a friend but didn't get the power supply.
The site says it comes with a 9.6 200mA. It also says you just need 9vdc with 140mA
If I buy one from the store I know to get 9 or 9.6 for volts. Is mA the same as 2.0A?? 2.0A = 200mA? or 0.2?? I am confuse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Help with freeze pedal power

are you really asking if mA = A?
LOL
Yep they're the same, they gave them different names because they thought......hmm people will get confused about it!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Reviews: 120

Wrong.

mA is milliamps. 1000 milliamps = 1A
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Wrong.

mA is milliamps. 1000 milliamps = 1A
+1. And I believe you can still run off a 2000mA (2A) power source, you just won't use near as much power as it's rated for. Someone do please correct me if i'm wrong; but I do use a pedal rated at 250 mA with a 1200mA power source and it works fine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 120

Yes, its always best to have a supply with more milliamps/amps then you need. The reason being, as you get closer to the rating the more noise you may get.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yes, its always best to have a supply with more milliamps/amps then you need. The reason being, as you get closer to the rating the more noise you may get.
hmm, interesting. A while back when i bought my powerall kit for pedals, (which is 2000ma)i plugged my weping demon wah into it, and when i had it on toe up, it made a really bad hissing. i had the same problem with the 1spot, so i tried the power all. anyways, i had an extra 9 volt around, plugged it in, and its fine now. Not sure why it does this
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 18

I've never been a fan of the 1spot. IMO, that's like using the Grisswold method to power up devices....

Jimmy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Reviews: 59

I actually think the noise issue has a lot to do with the building wiring where you're plugging in. You may be more likely to get noise the closer you are to the mA that are being used, I'm no electrician. However, I use a one-spot at home and have had no issues with noise and it's powering 8 pedals at the moment with no more noise than when I use 9v batteries or plugging directly into the amp with no pedals in the chain.

That said, I've played other places where I had to go with batteries because I would get a lot of noise with any AC adapter (one spot and individual) that I tried.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

I got a 9v 800ma adapter (nexxtech) and it works fine, thought i broke the pedal or needed a different tip cause it didnt work but turns out i just had to change the tip the other way cause its supposed to be negative when i had it positive
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhaab View Post
I got a 9v 800ma adapter (nexxtech) and it works fine, thought i broke the pedal or needed a different tip cause it didnt work but turns out i just had to change the tip the other way cause its supposed to be negative when i had it positive
PLEASE check before you just plug some power adapter into your pedals. Most have built in security measures against switching polarity (like fuses), HOWEVER, some older pedals and even some cheaper pedals may not have a fuse. If that is the case you will burn the circuit board up.

Use this picture as a guide:

In this photo, the left side of the photo means the center is positive...on the right side, the center is negative. Make sure your power adapter matches the polarity on your pedal...just to be completely safe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 1spot. IMO, that's like using the Grisswold method to power up devices....

Jimmy

True, but I have had the same 1 spot for 7-8 years, no problems yet!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 AM

Reviews: 11

voltage = amps x resistance

-> amps = resistance/voltage

if resistance is kept constant and amps goes up....

that means you have a corresponding voltage DROP, using less power, but its far more dangerous to use it like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode