Help I need help deciding on one of two amps - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Help I need help deciding on one of two amps

I need a half stack now that my band is starting to play more and more gigs , but I cant decide which one....

I play shred/vai, Yes(the band), led zeppelin, classic rock, but mostly shred/vai.

First amp that came to mind was marshall, but I did not like the sound of the new ones and I cant afford a vintage one. Then one day I was able to try out one of those Rhino YJM50 blackstar amps, which was amazing, seriously it sounds like a vintage marshall with built in noise gate, two overdrives(which sound vintage)and a power attenuator(spelling?). Really nice deal, everyone at harmony central likes it. I used a strat through it and I swear I got that Yngwie tone perfectly. You can see it here http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/YJM-50.html oh it also has JJ telsa(is that it?)tubes, which I know is a perk cause I have them in my combo amp and they sound great.

The other amp is one of those carvin legacy amps, I like how it is 100 watts, but there is a switch for 50 watts and early clipping. I have not been able to play this one, but I like the sound samples, the clean sounds amazing. You can see it at http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearc...2=VL412&P1=GAL.

What do you think? They both look like great amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 AM

I don't know how many people have tried the Rhino amps, but there's probably a few people here who have (or have tried) the Legacy. Seeing how the Rhino is fairly uncommon, and there isn't a really huge base of Yngwie fans here, you may not get the input you're looking for.

They seem like very different amps, to me. If you're really into the Vai sound, the Legacy might be the way to go. You can always ship it back to Carvin if you don't like it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 01:16 PM

I never tried the Rhino amps but I really want to though. It looks interesting...and the clips from their site sounds quite good, at least for what it is designed for. And it has that powerator feature which seems like a cool idea for dealing with volume issues.

I know volume is a has always been a big issue with the Legacy, even at 50 watts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 01:34 PM
RGN

The thing about vintage Marshalls is that none of them sound the same. I have owned two Plexis and one sounded like crap and the other sounded nice with mods. My friends old Plexi sounds about like a $650 Peavey head.

I still own it but never use it. I have two JCM2000 heads and think they sound about 95% as good as the Plexi loud and much better at low levels. I use the 50 watt version (with more reliable Drake transformers) about 90% of the time.

The Rhino is cool. I liked it a lot. Didn't get to try it much though. I wasn't blown away by it really.

I have never tried a legacy but have tried a Carvin head before and it was average at best. I thought it was about like a Crate.

I don't remember the price of the Rhino. Is it that much less than a Soldano? If you bought a Soldano you'd have one of the greatest amps bar none.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:59 PM

Personally, I never liked the Legacy tone....it was always "dark" sounding to me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo de Dios
Personally, I never liked the Legacy tone....it was always "dark" sounding to me.

Pure marketing strategy with Vai IMO.

Tags
combo amp , yngwie tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode