Help!! I'm Amp stupid - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Help!! I'm Amp stupid

I've been playing through a cheap ass peavy supreme and matching cab for a while now and after years of dealing with the utterly offensive hellspeak which emmanated from it, I am deciding to upgrade. The problem is I don't know jack about what amps are sweet and what amps are not sweet. The other problem is the fact that I can only spend maybe 1500-2000 on whatever I get next (cab and head combined). What the the media and pros have told me is that the rectifier and JCM 800 are the best and everything else is dog****. I know this can't be true.

I bestow this question upon this great council: What head and cab should I get?

I play metal--progressive, power, melodic metal. John Petrucci is my tone hero. I do not need a head with super duper gain ability because I use pedals for that anyway. I would just like something with power, presence, and above all, CLARITY.

Thanks to any who can lend advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Re: Help!! I'm Amp stupid

do you really need a head and cab or can you make do with a combo?

I ask this cause 60% of people I know with head/cabs rarely need that kind of output.

I would suggest going with Mesa Boogie if your looking for Petrucci tone. Especially a Roadking.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 PM

Of course, Mesa would be the first choice if you're looking for that tone. Look into the Carvin V3 too.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:40 PM

Here's the advice you will get the most of.....
Go play everything, buy what you like.
Personally, I do not like rectifiers and a 100 watt JCM 800 is too much amp for most situations. What I would probably do if I were in your situation is spend the money on a nice combo instead of a halfstack that you will probably rarely (if ever) use to it's full potential.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
do you really need a head and cab or can you make do with a combo?

I ask this cause 60% of people I know with head/cabs rarely need that kind of output.

I would suggest going with Mesa Boogie if your looking for Petrucci tone. Especially a Roadking.
Strangely enough I haven't thought about a combo. My issue with my old head/cab is that since I've started closemicing and recording in a band situation I realized it was cheap and plain sounded like crap. I guess my only concern with a combo is whether it would be loud enough to play in a live situation with amp unmiced against drums with triggered bass and other instruments. The largest (and only) combo I have ever tried was a Fender Cyber-Twin (120w 2X12 speakers) and in a band situation it either was drowned out in the mix or the volume had to be boosted to the point where it sounded like a swirling vortex of sonic vomit.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM

an all tube mesa will put that fender to shame , they have more then enough power for band stuff and if not the amp has an extra output jack for an extension cab .
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM

Evo,

A single 12 rectoverb with 50 watts will keep up with most bands.

A 2x12 Roadking would just kill...

go crank one up at the local guitar center and see.. They wont have the Roadking but they probably will have the 1 x 12 Rectoverb.. Its LOUD.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM

If you've got $2k to spend on an amp, and don't know what you want
exactly, you might try posting at plexi palace:
www . vintageamps . com/plexiboard/index.php
Lots of good info and advice on tube amps of all kinds
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:42 AM

you could always get a head and look into two 2x12 cabs instead of the half stack idea. This would provide a lot of flexablity, and you could always buy one cab now, and one later if decided you needed.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 AM

Reviews: 1

for 2k you could land a Triaxis and either 50/50 or 2:90 power amp and still have some coin left over for a cab of some sort. this is used of course.
But a triaxis will get you the majority of the Petrucci tones.
You get all the goodness of mesa tone and all the versatility of a midi preamp, who could ask for more?
I have some settings I can share too, as do a few others.

NOW, if you wanna go a tad on the less expensive side, I would nab a modded ADA MP1 with either the 3 tube mod or the Voodoo mod, a good power amp ( VHT, MESA, something with Ballz) and a hot cab even a Bag End or Mesa.
Used will get you more bang for the buck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14
you could always get a head and look into two 2x12 cabs instead of the half stack idea. This would provide a lot of flexablity, and you could always buy one cab now, and one later if decided you needed.

Indeed, far easier to carry around than a 2x12 combo. I didnt see where you listed that wattage for your rig now but a 50 watt tube amp will SMOKE a 100 watt solid state. You could pick up a used single rect combo for about 800 bucks or a Marshall Dsl 401 or Tsl pretty reasonable used as well. You could use this thread as a suggestion of which amps to try, but ultimately you should go with what you like. If it was me I would try everything I could get my hands on go home and think about then try em again to decide. Cuz it sucks when the honeymoon's over. Bring your guitar with you to try em out as well.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your answers. Ive been doing some research the past few days.

Again right now I have a 100w solidstate peavy transtube which sounds horrible. I play with it at 6 (which makes more noise than a whistle testing facility) when jamming with other instruments.

The 2x12 combo roadking sounded nice, but I've found out that those are discontinued and seem pretty scarce? I saw just one on **** for almost 1600 so I dunno.

I've decided that no matter what I would like to have a cab with celestion v30s whether its 2x12 or 4x12. So thats not really an issue now. The question is what amp itself. The rectifier seems kinda what im looking for, I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with the single rectifier?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 PM

I played one a few times. Good Rhthym sounds to be had and I thought the clean was pretty good. The only decent Lead sounds I could get out of it was with a TS808 in front of it. You have to be careful with the EQ its definitely not an amp you crank the gain and go the EQ is pretty sensitive and can get muddy real quick. Hope this helps
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Two words:

Tubes.

Well...that's actually just one word, but yeah...ditch the transistors and get some tubes regardless of which make/model you decide on. And forget all that transtube/hybrid crap that have tube preamps combined with solid-state poweramps. Get the real deal.

Tags
extension cab , john petrucci , local guitar center , marshall dsl , mesa boogie , power amp , tube amp , tube amps , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pawnshops are stupid
is slash stupid
what does stupid mean

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode