Help me choose an amp! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Talking Help me choose an amp!

Hey, I need you guys to help me choose an all valve head. Over the years, I've owned various hybrid and solid state amps, but I'm finally ready to make that all-valve jump.

I'm a huge fun of old school Marshall tones - like Eddie Van Halen's "Brown Sound", and James Hetfield's rhythm tone on Kill 'Em All. They both used Plexi's (1959 SLP's) but there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to find, or afford one of those, so that's why I'm asking you guys for help.

I had a few in mind;

Peavey Windsor

I know that the Windsor doesn't really have any cleans to speak of, but I really don't care. I'm a straight-forward, one tone kind of guy, and the lack of more than one channel, and any kind of cleans doesn't bother me in the least. As long as it does distortion well, I'm happy.

Marshall JTM60 (Would LOVE to have this one, and I can get one for $350, but I've heard they have a lot of issues, as far as reliability goes.)

Randall RH50T

Laney LV300H

Carvin X100B

Also, if anybody has any suggestions, toss 'em out!

And try to keep them under $500, because I'm not rich, by any means.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Re: Help me choose an amp!

MESA BOOGIE ALWAYS
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Lol Treva, i knew you'd say that

If you like the Marshall tone, I'd imagine the DSL's and TSL's will drop in price now that the JVM is out.

On a brown sound point, i totally nailed it on my JVM today, its a perfect copy of the tone from the first album .
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVA View Post
MESA BOOGIE ALWAYS
Not for less than $500.

I had a JTM30 combo that blew up on me. It was fine until you cranked it, then it'd start cutting out intermittently. My shop couldn't duplicate the problem, so I sold it to them since they thought it was fine.

That said, the clean channel ruled - at low voolumes it had this great glassiness, and cranked up it was, well, it was a Marshall. You'd be happy with this, if you can run it flat out.

The gain channel, meanwhile, was useless.

For quality heads you can score for around $500, a 5150 is tough ti beat. It's gainier than the sounds EVH is really known for, but if you want gain, well...
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
MESA BOOGIE ALWAYS
You know where I can find a $500 Boogie?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Not for less than $500.

I had a JTM30 combo that blew up on me. It was fine until you cranked it, then it'd start cutting out intermittently. My shop couldn't duplicate the problem, so I sold it to them since they thought it was fine.

That said, the clean channel ruled - at low voolumes it had this great glassiness, and cranked up it was, well, it was a Marshall. You'd be happy with this, if you can run it flat out.

The gain channel, meanwhile, was useless.

For quality heads you can score for around $500, a 5150 is tough ti beat. It's gainier than the sounds EVH is really known for, but if you want gain, well...
That's what I figured. I'm not going to take my chances, I need a reliable amp.

I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THE 5150! Duh! *slaps forehead*

Thanks for reminding me! And yeah, 5150's are hard to beat for pure brutality, and they're relatively inexpensive. How could I have forgotten that?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:17 PM

Keep adding to your $500 and do it right the first time
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:23 PM

mesa boogie dc-3 on **** = 400 usd.
Amazing amp,I have one for about 12 years.
I will never sell it !
Amazing cleans,distortion from blues to metal and loud,really loud.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Keep adding to your $500 and do it right the first time
I don't see why I couldn't keep saving, but what amp would you suggest?

My dream amp is a Marshall Plexi, and I was thinking of trying my luck and having Ceriatone build me one. I talked to Nik Azam (works for Ceriatone), and he's a real nice guy. He assured me that he could build me an identical replica of one for $1060 shipped.

Quote:
mesa boogie dc-3 on **** = 400 usd.
Amazing amp,I have one for about 12 years.
I will never sell it !
Amazing cleans,distortion from blues to metal and loud,really loud.
I'll keep an eye out for one, thanks! I see one going for about $530 on the bay right now, but I'll keep my options open for a while.

Thanks for your help, guys!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 PM

If your dream amp is a plexi, save up for one. I had one and it sounded great but it was way too loud and there was a big volume spike between 1 and 2. Usually 2-3 was good for band practice, and it didnt break up yet at that volume. I threw a hot plate on it and it sounded like crap. If you have played one and liked it go for it. If you just want one because of EVH and Hettfield, play it first. The best Marshalls I've ever owned were the Slash sig. and a JCM 800. I had a JPM1 and EL34 100/100 power amp, the Plexi, a DSL 401, and a JCM 900 SLX. The Slash is the one I wish I never got rid of. I also has reliability issues with my Plexi.

Personally I cant say enough good things about Orange amps, but those are pretty expensive and seem to be hard to come by.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 PM

If you want a Marshall, get a Splawn. I'm not usually interested in all these boutique knock offs, but the Splawn Quickrod is possibly the best sounding "Marshall" I've ever played. My father used to gig around here ALOT back in the 70's, and had many Marshalls (including two plexi's), and he too is in love with the Splawn. It's just a great amp. It's not cheap, but it's not too expensive. It's about the same as a Mesa Stiletto Deuce.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Reviews: 120

I reckon check out the Peavey Windsor, seems to be some good reviews on it. Maybe also check out the Orange Tiny Terror and see if that will suit you too.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If your dream amp is a plexi, save up for one. I had one and it sounded great but it was way too loud and there was a big volume spike between 1 and 2. Usually 2-3 was good for band practice, and it didnt break up yet at that volume. I threw a hot plate on it and it sounded like crap. If you have played one and liked it go for it. If you just want one because of EVH and Hettfield, play it first. The best Marshalls I've ever owned were the Slash sig. and a JCM 800. I had a JPM1 and EL34 100/100 power amp, the Plexi, a DSL 401, and a JCM 900 SLX. The Slash is the one I wish I never got rid of. I also has reliability issues with my Plexi.

Personally I cant say enough good things about Orange amps, but those are pretty expensive and seem to be hard to come by.
I have played one of the Marshall reissues, and I loved it, but couldn't justify spending $2500 on it, which is why I figured I' try my luck with one of the Ceriatone replicas. As far as cranking it to get that saturated tone, I could always build a dummy load or something. I fully expected to have to do something like that, anyways.

I've never even had the chance to play through a Silver Jubilee, seeing as how they're even more rare than Plexi's. I'd love to be able to try one, but I wouldn't have any idea as to where I'd find one. I know for sure I could find a JCM, though. I was looking at a JCM2000 DSL100 at a used gear shop by my house. They were asking $800 for it, and I've been giving it some serious consideration. I might end up going with that in the end, but I'll have to try it some more.

They also have a JCM800 combo there, but to be totally honest, I just flat out didn't like that one. I don't know if it was that particular amp, but it just didn't sound good at all. It sounded muffled, no matter how I EQ'ed it, like somebody had tossed a blanket over it. I'm willing to bet it was just that amp, because everybody seems to love the 800, though.

And even if I decide that I don't like it, JCM's hold their resale value very well, so I could always make most, if not all of my money back.

What kind of reliability issues did you have with your Plexi? Was it one of the originals, or a reissue?

I'd love to get a Thunderverb, but like you mentioned, they are damn expensive, and not very common. I will say, that if I could find a reasonably priced Thunderverb or Rockerverb, I'd forget the Plexi all together, but that's just wishful thinking, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
If you want a Marshall, get a Splawn. I'm not usually interested in all these boutique knock offs, but the Splawn Quickrod is possibly the best sounding "Marshall" I've ever played. My father used to gig around here ALOT back in the 70's, and had many Marshalls (including two plexi's), and he too is in love with the Splawn. It's just a great amp. It's not cheap, but it's not too expensive. It's about the same as a Mesa Stiletto Deuce.
I'll definitely give Splawn some serious consideration. I've been looking around their website, and I like what I see. The fact that they do custom tolex is a big plus, too. I really like the Snakeskin.

Any idea where I could find one to give it a try? As much as I hate Guitar Center, I'll be checking out my local one to see if there's anything that catches my eye. I'll see if anybody traded off any Splawn's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I reckon check out the Peavey Windsor, seems to be some good reviews on it. Maybe also check out the Orange Tiny Terror and see if that will suit you too.
Yeah, I've been really thinking about the Windsor. A lot of reviews seem to say that it's voiced a lot like a Marshall, but I'm a little skeptical. If they really sound as good as a Marshall, and they're a fraction of the cost, why isn't everybody jumping on them?

I plan on giving one a try, for sure, but until I do, I'm a little wary of it.

And I'm honestly not sure if the Tiny Terror is powerful enough for me. I know that 15 tube watts is really, really loud, but when you're playing in a gig, I'm not sure how well it would be able to cut through everything. If I thought that the TT had enough power, then I'd jump on it in a second.

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the help.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM

It was a 1959SPLX. I had problems with bad knobs, the sound fading in and out and power issues. Sometimes I would have to turn it on then off then on again to get it to turn on. I babied the thing too so Im not sure why I was having those problems. Which 800 did you try? The single or dual channel? Did you get to really open it up?

As for the Tiny Terror, I used a 15 watt Fender Princeton as my gig amp for a while and it was fine, we ended up mic'ing everything anyway, but my Orange is only 30 watts and it's plenty loud.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM

The Laney LV300H is a hybrid. Look for a used GH50L instead, the can be had for under $500.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It was a 1959SPLX. I had problems with bad knobs, the sound fading in and out and power issues. Sometimes I would have to turn it on then off then on again to get it to turn on. I babied the thing too so Im not sure why I was having those problems. Which 800 did you try? The single or dual channel? Did you get to really open it up?

As for the Tiny Terror, I used a 15 watt Fender Princeton as my gig amp for a while and it was fine, we ended up mic'ing everything anyway, but my Orange is only 30 watts and it's plenty loud.
Ah, so it was a reissue, then? Man, that's really disappointing to hear. Usually when you think of Marshall, you think of a workhorse amp.

As for the JCM I used, I'm almost positive it was a single channel, a 4210 I think, but I'm not totally positive. I turned it up pretty loud, I think I had the volume set at 2 or 3, which was awfully loud. Loud enough to get a dirty look from the manager, so I didn't get to play with it at a very high volume. It was going for a lot less than I've seen them go for ($700), so it might have had a tear in the speaker that was making it sound fuzzy, or some other little problem.

The 2000 sounded great though, even though it was being run through some Crate cabinet. I was really impressed by that one.

What do you think of the 2000? I'm really considering it, but I'd like some feedback on it, seeing as how I'm not allowed to turn the volume past 1 or 1.5 in the store.

I'd never really consider mic'ing everything up, to be honest. I'd get the TT, but I'd like a little more power than that, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
The Laney LV300H is a hybrid. Look for a used GH50L instead, the can be had for under $500.
Oh, oops. lol

The two Laney's I see on the bay are both going for almost $1000. I'll keep my eye out for one, but I'm not paying a grand for one, especially when I can get a JCM 2000 DSL for $800. If I could find one for under $500, I'd definitely give it a try, though.

Thanks

Tags
clean tone , eddie van halen , fender princeton , heavy metal , marshall jtm , mesa boogie , ohm cab , paul gilbert , power amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state power amp , tony iommi , tube amp , uber metal , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode