Help me choose. ENGL E530 vs Bugera 333XL - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Help me choose. ENGL E530 vs Bugera 333XL

A couple months ago I bought a H&K Tubemeister 18. It's a great amp no doubt, cleans are amazing and great rock-ish overdrive. Very vintage voiced amp. It didn't have the gain I was looking for and the voicing of the overdrive channel did not pair well with any overdrives. So I let that one go and I'm on the hunt once again.

I don't play gigs or with a band, just bedroom stuff. I play a bit of everything blues/rock, prog rock/metal and metal metal. So far, within my budget($500-700), I like what I have heard from the E530 preamp and the bugera 333XL. Being that I play bedroom levels, the E530 seems more appropriate. However, the 333XL is actually a little cheaper. So I wonder if the E530's price tag worth it. I have also been considering the Carvin V3M but from the demos I have seen, it just sounds bland? If the Bugera TriRec actually starts shipping, it may be a strong option too. Especially having adjustable power attenuation.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Help me choose. ENGL E530 vs Bugera 333XL

I would take an Engl over the Bugera any day of the week. Still, in that price range, especially on the used market, you have an incredible number of choices. Why just these two? I picked up a used Mesa Boogie DC-5 1x12 combo a few months ago for $625 on craigslist. It can do just about anything at any volume that I want. I highly recommend the used DC series if you can find one and they'd be well within your price range.
You could also get a smaller wattage tube amp like Blackstar HT for well within that range new/used depending on the wattage you wanted. Those are quality two channel amps with good gain on tap and some silent features/headphone outs for silent/low volume work.
I think the Engl is good too, though it's just a preamp and you'd need a power amp for any sort of volume if you go beyond bedroom playing. Just something to consider, but $500 or so has a lot more possibilities, especially if you are willing to consider used. Some will say that Bugera's sound decent. I've tried many of them and never came away very impressed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM

I had a Bugera 333XL for a few months. Toured with it only a few shows before it started to show signs of wear. The pedal switch was one of the biggest faults for me, why wasn't it just a standard Midi cable? That thing broke if you just put it in the wrong way one time. It had a really awesome sound but it just never seemed to cut through without sounding shrill and high.

Bugera makes awesome stuff however, the fact that you can get those big $$$ sounds in a more affordable package is huge. But as for playing out with them, id be careful.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM

check this review for the E530
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=958hu_M1W24
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 AM

Reviews: 120

Go the Blackstar HT-5. Awesome tones, and takes pedals so well.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmang3 View Post
Being that I play bedroom levels, the E530 seems more appropriate.
Do you have a power amp?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I would take an Engl over the Bugera any day of the week.
This. Precisely. I used an E530 on my current band's first EP 5 years ago, and the tones were superb! We tracked it against a Mesa Triple Rec and the Engl was smoother and more unique. It has a wide array of voice to chose from, and is a [email protected]#!% on footswitch options though, but worth it for quality machinery. If I owned any ENGL equip now, It would be a 530 or a Fireball 60 alongside my Mesa Mark III. Roadworthiness goes a looooong way - as in my amp was made in 1994 and has only been in the shop once. I'm sure the ENGL would be the same way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Reviews: 3

i cant recommend bugera, while ive had no experience with the engl, but ive had a bugera 1990 since the summer and now after an hour of playing time it cuts out, probably overheating somehow. spend more money and get something decent
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 11

I'm sorry but this decision is just so obvious.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM

The ENGL has a built in low watt solid state poweramp (Think it's 1W) which would make it perfect for the bedroom. If you start gigging or jamming, you can pick up a proper poweramp later.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZshredder View Post
i cant recommend bugera, while ive had no experience with the engl, but ive had a bugera 1990 since the summer and now after an hour of playing time it cuts out, probably overheating somehow. spend more money and get something decent
Is it the new infinium model??? supposedly they made some really good changes to these amps and now there working pretty darn good. But thats just what i heard. plus there giving you a 3 year warranty to go with it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw1422 View Post
Is it the new infinium model??? supposedly they made some really good changes to these amps and now there working pretty darn good. But thats just what i heard. plus there giving you a 3 year warranty to go with it.
Ive heard this too. They have like tube monitoring lights ala the Orange's new tech. Still i can't fully recommend a Bugera to someone who wants a "quality" purchase IMO. They make good stuff, just not quite up to snuff when it comes down to it.

Tags
amp , bugera , engl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode