help me decide which amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

View Poll Results: which amp do u like here
mesa boogie f-30 13 37.14%
engl screamer 50w 9 25.71%
engl thunder 50w 4 11.43%
genz benz el diablo 60w 3 8.57%
crate v3112 0 0%
marshall jcm/avt series 9 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

help me decide which amp

i went down to my local guitar shop during my work break and these are the amps i liked in my price range

mesa boogie f-30 30w
engl screamer combo 50w
engl thunder 50w
genz benz el diablo 60w
crate v3112
marshall jcm/avt series? the storeguy said they were good and usually 50% of them are lying.

i usually play stuff from satriani/godsmack/metallica/incubus/theory of a deadman/the darkness

i already know what i might get (i think lol), just wanted some opinions if some of the amps listed here is a bit bitter than the other

Last edited by SandmaN211; 07-18-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Re: help me decide which amp

Mesa Or Engl.

I suggest engl because its better value for money.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:26 AM

I would go with Marshall, except for you put the AVT series in there too, and those are garbage, but it all comes down to personal preference. I've never played and Engl or a Genz Benz, I hate Crates and am not terribly fond of Mesa, but I know they have their fans, and for good reason.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 AM

Definately not a Marshall AVT series amp, i own one... dont bother with it.

Peavey 6505 should be high on your list too.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 1

The F series sounds great for any style and can be played loud enough to push the tubes more. Great head. Do not get the Crate or Marshall.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz
Definately not a Marshall AVT series amp, i own one... dont bother with it.

Peavey 6505 should be high on your list too.

I just bought an AVT50 and I like it just fine. But of course it's mainly for in-house basement practice and suits that purpose quite well. Not the most versatile live rig although it's plenty loud enough.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash
The F series sounds great for any style and can be played loud enough to push the tubes more. Great head. Do not get the Crate or Marshall.
the one listed is not a head, lol

any more
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau
I just bought an AVT50 and I like it just fine. But of course it's mainly for in-house basement practice and suits that purpose quite well. Not the most versatile live rig although it's plenty loud enough.
Yeah, I've got an AVT50 too. I think it's a good amp. What do you guys not like about the AVT?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:35 AM

Marshall avt are just fine if you want to simply make your guitar loud... lol.

The tone is bland, the built in effects are superb (chorus, reverb and delay are)

Clean sound is alright, the built in speakers are pretty decent,

The point is that he has listed a tonne of more expensive and far better sounding amps, i have owned an Avt150 combo for almost 5 years.

The Marshall Tsl/Dsl arent bad amps, but id say they suit lighter rock more, the tsl's are a fizzy sounding high gain marshall with bland cleans.. a decent amp when cranked but theres better, the Dsl has better cleans and a nicer sounding drive but has a floppy bottom end when cranked and doesnt have as much gain..

Looking at your music styles the only one that sets it apart is the darkness, they have a more classic rock sound mixed with a model metal sound (Marshall 1959 SLP and Mesa Boogie dual rectifiers).

Personally i dont think the marshall jcm2000 series does a great job of emulating the sound of a Marshall 1959SLP.

Personally i would highly consider

Engl Screamer (also try the richie blackmore model)
Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey XXX (Before satriani got his JSX he used these a lot)
Mesa Single Rect
Framus Cobra
Marshall Jmp-1 with a Poweramp (Carvin TS100, Marshall 50/50 etc)
Mesa F-series
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:42 AM

I own the new AVT - it's only about 4 months old - and besides having reverb it doesn't have the in-built effects. Sounds much much better than the old AVTs IMO. I don't think I'd have anything else - personal preference, of course.

That said, I have tried an Engl before and it sounded really good. I have heard very good reports on them too.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 AM

The old Avt's are actually better built, i know a lot of people who have bought the new ones, they dont sound as good as the old ones in my opinion, thinner tone.

must be using cheaper components.

Personally ive had a LOT of expericne with marshalls and expensive amps, i have a lot of live experience playing all over the uk and i have a lot of recording studio experience, i know what amps do what, what are good.

you have owned your avt for 4 months and have a biased opinion, i have owned one for 5 years, i used to love it and its still a good amp, but it doesnt even come close in comparison to some of those valve amps.

I love the marshall sound, i like marshall amps... ive just learned through experience that you can generally do a lot better for your money.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz
The old Avt's are actually better built, i know a lot of people who have bought the new ones, they dont sound as good as the old ones in my opinion, thinner tone.

must be using cheaper components.

Personally ive had a LOT of expericne with marshalls and expensive amps, i have a lot of live experience playing all over the uk and i have a lot of recording studio experience, i know what amps do what, what are good.

you have owned your avt for 4 months and have a biased opinion, i have owned one for 5 years, i used to love it and its still a good amp, but it doesnt even come close in comparison to some of those valve amps.

I love the marshall sound, i like marshall amps... ive just learned through experience that you can generally do a lot better for your money.
Fair enuff... I suppose I am inclined to be biased. However I have tried one of the old valvestates, an 8040 model, and while I still think it sounded great I prefer the sound of my amp. But as I said it's personal preferance. Sorry if I came across the wrong way, I didn't mean to start a disagreement.

Of course, up against say a 5150 or a Mesa (both awesome amps) there is no contest!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 PM

I wasnt talking about the old valvestates.. Im talking about avt's

the Avt range that has recently been renamed the "avtx" series.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Has any one ever tried Madison amps? They look pretty cool, I saw DEICIDE live using them, but could not really distinguish the sound, considering it was a death metal concert.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

wow looking at the poll, the mashall actually caught up, then again alot of newbs must be comin to my thread

jk that was the first amp i tried out at the shop and it sounded great but because i played bout 4 amps that day i dont remember if its good or not lol
so yea dats y i put it in the poll

Tags
boogie dual rectifier , boost pedal , david mccarroll , death metal , dual rectifier , dual rectifiers , engl screamer , engl thunder , fender deluxe , fender deluxe reverb , fender twin , genz benz , guitar shop , local guitar shop , marshall amp , marshall avt , marshall jmp , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie dual rectifier , music store , tube amp , tube amps , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode