Help me find a bass amp for my needs
Last bass rig I had was a pair of cabinets, 1x18 and 4x10 and I think a 1,000W head. I could never fit that in my car or apartment anymore and I really don't need anything that size. Haven't even played much bass in the last 5+ years. However, I'm starting again in a band as a bassist. I need an amp and I don't know where to start.
Here's my thoughts on amp shopping:
- I drive a compact car and so does everyone in the band
- My bass is a 5 string with fairly hot active electronics (18v preamp), so I recall a lot of combos even had a problem handling that.
- We play 60's revival kind of music
- The drummer doesn't hit all that hard (he's not super loud)
- We'll probably be playing mostly in basements and small bars/clubs with 30-50 people
Is there a combo amp worthy of this? I don't want to get something too small where I have to trust that the club will have a PA that is capable of making me heard. I have absolutely zero interest in getting something capable of much more than the basic outline of needs mentioned above. I also don't want to spend a fortune (I'd probably be looking for something used for a few hundred bucks).