Help me find my perfect amp! PLEASE! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:02 AM

Re: Help me find my perfect amp! PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Im in highschool, so by football stadiums I mean a high school one. I just recently played a gig there, and thats about as big as Im gonna get. Mostly small clubs. Can anyone get me background info on the Laney GH100L and GH50L? By "one channel with footswitchable gain" Im guessing that they mean one channel that is either clean, and you can footswitch it to gain, so its basiclly 2 channels sort of, with a shared EQ? Im confused. And no, I hate distortion pedals. I refuse to use a distortion pedal. They sound WAAY too artificial.
smitty

The footswitch on the GH50/100's basically kicks in another gain stage from the preamp circuitry. Its a bit of an odd one as you can not go from say cyrstal clean to super gain lead. You can go from mild bluesy crunch to metal gain, the ranges work in comparison with one another i.e. the higher or lower the gain levels are on ch.1 will affect those on ch.2. If you want true amp switching capability then go with VH series of Laneys.

A word of warning both the GH and VH series are frikkin loud, you WILL need a power attenuator to be able get those power amp tubes working at anything other than Yankees stadium levels which you do need to get the true sound of those amps.

I would suggest you look into something around the tube 30 to 50 watt mark, some of the new Peavey's represent very good VFM and have good tones in them, avoid the TSL series from Marshall unless you either want a nice Marshall fire or to be spending half your time in the repair shop.

Whats your budget? Do you want a combo? A head/cab setup?

Last edited by strat110; 01-01-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Woah I haevnt looked at this thread for a while. Nah man, my probs are solved, Im ordering a v3 next week
smitty
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:17 PM

I think you'll like it, it took me a while to dial mine in but a year later its a keeper.

Tags
coil tap , dimarzio evo , distortion pedal , genz benz , marshall tsl , neck pickup , paf joe , paf pro , paf pro pickups , peavey jsx , power amp , pro pickups , tube amp , tube amps , uber metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode