help me get a good tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

help me get a good tone

Hey i need some help here..

I want a good tone like a vrtuoso sound.. petrucci, vai, satriani, yngwie, etc. mostly petrucci cuase that is my kinda style. but i can't seem to get anywhere close to a good sound. Right now i'm using a boss gt6 and a Marshall JCM2000 TSL. Personally i think the marshall amp distortion sucks. It's to vintagy for me. so i bought the gt6 to try to improve my sound.. but it sounds like way too digital not really what i'm looking for. I've tried Mesas and i really think their distortion is very unrefined as well. Is it even possible to get a really great sound through just an amp? cuase i've had no luck.
I'm getting so damn frustrated i'm thinking of throwing all my **** in the garbage and callign it a day.. but i really don't wanna do that. so i've been reading up on effects loops and processors and amps and all that stuff. I wanna hear what you guys think on amps to use settings. effects (rackmount, stomp boxes or processors), effects loops or straight input, blah blah blah, basically anything you can think of to help out with my sound. money isn't really an issue with buying things.
i have a J custom RG8527 which i'm very happy with so that isn't a problem. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.. thanks

adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:09 PM

I'd suggest a POD. If it ain't got it, you don't need it.

Keep in mind though that most of your tone happens between your head and the ends of your fingers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

haha yeah dude.. i can play well. no problems there. I'm just extremely picky with my tone.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 AM

Try a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. It is the best sounding overdrive pedal I've ever had in my rig. It has a classic TS-808 tone for its overdrive and adds a clean boost knob on top of the OD. It almost sounds as if you're playing through 2 amps at once. There's nothing in the GT-6 that will give you this sound. I use mine with a Carvin X100-B head (similar sounding to a JCM800, but with active eq controls.) On the pedal, I set the distortion at 2 o'clock, the tone at 10 o'clock, clean boost at 1 o'clock and volume level at 2 o'clock. Using the numbers on the amp controls: gain = 6, master volume = 3 - 5 with the lead boost engaged, bass = 7, mid = 5, treble = 5, presence = 7, reverb = 2, graphic eq = off (set to clean channel), power level at 50% (50 watts).

For chorus, flange and phaser effects the Line6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler pedal is nice. For delay effects, the L6 DL-4 is awesome sounding as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
haha yeah dude.. i can play well. no problems there. I'm just extremely picky with my tone.
So can Steve Vai, but Frank Zappa once told him he sounded like an electric ham sandwich. I'm talking about the Zen-like nature of tone, grasshopper. Didn't mean to say you couldn't play.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 09:00 AM
OME

Reviews: 6
Adam
If your doing a bands coversongs and need to be versatile with your sound a processor like POD or Valve FX is a good choice, but to make
your own original sound WILL BE an adventure as I found out in the last
few months.

I suggest finding the type of distortion box that suites YOU first.
And begin painting your sound from there by touching it up with
your Rev/Dlys/Chorus/Flng and add your trickbag effects as far as
Whammy/Wah and such. Stomp boxes have a certian presence that
processors don't have and a using a processor to much can make for lazy fingers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 03:55 PM

Try turning your Tone-pot to 6 or 7...and yes that's not much advice I know...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 PM

Re: help me get a good tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
Right now i'm using a boss gt6 and a Marshall JCM2000 TSL. Personally i think the marshall amp distortion sucks. It's to vintagy for me.
Ok, I'm playing a 7620 into a TSL head, and I had the same problem at first, and was also looking for a Petrucci, g3-era sort of tone. Here's the settings I came up with, for a lead sound:

Gain: 5
Treble: 3
Mid: 7
Bass: 4
Tone Shift: off (I don't know if the DSL heads have this- it's a mid schoop control that sounds like **** whne you enguage it)
Presence: 9
deep: on
volume: 6
VPR (variable power reduction, simulates 25 watt mode): 0n

You gotta have pretty solid finger control to get this to work, which I don't have yet (I'm a bit sloppy), but this sound KILLS with my 7620, particularly on the neck pickup (the bridge is still a touch bright to my ears, but maybe that's good). It's got a similar "feel" to JP's G3 tone, but a slightly different shade: a little warmer, not quite as dark. It's taking me a little while to get used to the lower gain, as i'm a fairly sloppy guitarist, but it's coming. This is a fairly loud setting, of course, and the power amp grind is definately part of the tone... but with the volume most of the way down it still works pretty well, it's just not quite as smooth.

I'm suprised you consider the DSL/TSL series as "too vintage"- the Lead mode, especially, on my TSL is a VERY modern sounding distortion, with a thick low end, and a slightly scooped, darker sounding lower midrange.

-D
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME
If your doing a bands coversongs and need to be versatile with your sound a processor like POD or Valve FX is a good choice
Or, you could not try to clone the original tones, and just settle on a "band" sound to play everything with, giving your band more of a personal identity, and differentiating you guys from a walking, talking jukebox...

It's not your fault, it's just the Line6 guys who are doing theiur damndest to get cover bands to think this way...

-D

Tags
amp distortion , frank zappa , marshall amp , neck pickup , overdrive pedal , power amp , steve vai , stomp box , voodoo lab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode