Help me here guys! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Help me here guys!

Should I buy for the Studio, or for gigs?

OK, if you've been over to the JEM forum, you'll have noticed that I'm possibly after a JEM.

However, I'm a bit stuck on which way to go with regards to my guitars and their applications. I would like to have three guitars ready for a tour later this year, probably early next year. I was thinking of getting a JS1200CA and a JS2000CG to compliment my JS1000, and so as not to be too badly put off by string changes/tonal changes etc.

Trouble is, I can only afford another 2 guitars! I think that having 3 of the same guitar (essentially the JS model) in the studio (an album will be released before the tour) could prove a tad boring. However, I don't want to have three completely different guitars to tour with?!

which way would you guys go?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 AM

Reviews: 3
I'd go with the JS2000CG and a Jem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Well, I used to play like 5 or 6 different guitars in the same show. So I'm a bad one to ask. Then again, maybe I'm not, though. To me, you always want variation over uniformity. Some players are used to just one neck. If they broke a string mid-show and had to switch to an old Kramer or something, it would mess them up. If you're comfortable on both necks, get the Jem. You'll find uses for it in the studio, and so long as you have enough guitars to cover a string breakage, live it matters less what they are, and more that you can play them comfortably. You'll find songs you want to use the Jem for live, but its no big deal if you had to do them on a JS because they're not that different. It's not like you have just one electric and one acoustic and have to finish the set with the acoustic, or a dobro, or one's set up for slide or something.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM

yea

I'd go nuts if my main axe was a 24 fret jem and my backuo was 22frets. That could seriously alter the playing of a song or throw you off. I'm used to the scale of a 24fret neck and to make sense of it only use 22 fret necks for drop-D tuning.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

see, thats where my problem is, I would be thrown off playing two completely different shaped guitars such as the Jem and the JS. Perhaps putting a set of EVOs into a new JS guitar would cure the problem? *shrugs* I dunno...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 02:43 PM

I'm thinking go with the JSs, but swap the pickups on one or two (I'd say keep the stocks on the 1200, and swap out one or both of the others) to give more variety, but same feel.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 07:01 PM

Here's an idea, I'm guessing the JS2000 is the backup?
Why not have
Stock JS1200
Stock Jem
JS2000 with stock neck pickup, and bridge pickup to match the Jem.

?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

oooh! I like that! best of all three worlds so to speak

Tags
bridge pickup , fret neck , fret necks , neck pickup , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode