Help Me Make a Recording Studio - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Help Me Make a Recording Studio

Hey guys! I've been really wanting to start recording and messing around with all of that, and I don't have the slightest idea as to how I would get started.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem if I wasn't a broke 16 year old with next to no money.

So, if you guys could help me create a good recording studio, while still keeping it at a reasonably low price, I'd be much obliged.

I plan on buying a used drum set and bass from my local Music Go Round, so I've got that covered. I've also got plenty of guitars to record with, so that's a non issue as well.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my current recording studio consists of my amp, and an old boom box with a condenser mic. It's pitiful, I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 AM

Re: Help Me Make a Recording Studio

This is a huge topic, and you'd be best doing TONNES of your own research on this topic aswell as asking for advice, which is I'm sure what you're doing

In my opinion, regarding drums, you are most definately not going to get good results by micing up a proper drum kit on a budget, I'd suggest you definately look into the various VSTs you can buy, I recommend fxpansion's BFD, some people also like drumkit from hell, but I haven't tried this.

To be honest your options in regards to guitars/basses are to continue micing up, which regarding on your budget again, could work, although you'd have to spend a lot of time using trial and error to get some good practise regarding micing techniques. I'd just suggest again that you compromise and go for a direct in approach for both bass and guitar, I have 2 pod xts (guitar and bass), for demo recordings they're invaluable, and when you learn how to use them properly you can get some decent sounds out them, of course the guitar isn't going to sound completely realistic, but it's by the most practical, easiest and cheapest method.

Are you wanting to use a PC to record? Or are you looking to use a stand-alone unit? If you're going for PC, are you sure it's powerful enough? Using a very old PC will restrict the amount of VSTs and effects you can use in your recordings, so it's good to make sure you're going to be OK in this department first.

For soundcards and audio interfaces on a budget, M-Audio and E-mu are good manufacturers, I've used M-Audio for a while, and am now using E-mu. I find E-mus software much easier to use and impliment in the sequencer I choose to use (Cubase SX 3), a lot of their soundcards also come with bundled effects, their patchmix utility is very useful as it features a whole host of effects which will be very useful if this is your first venture into this kind of recording and especially if you're on a budget.

To be honest, you'll find all the information you need to know on many many forums spread about the net, good places to start are obviously here, harmony central (is that forum still going? can't remember), the petrucci forum, and googling for general reviews of equipment you've heard good things about - This is pretty much all I've ever done to research recording equipment and I've got a setup that works well for me.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM

i would help u, but anything i say is gonna be watched and questioned beyong belief, so i won't.....
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

I would start with a SIMPLE multi-track all-in-one unit like an old BR-8 or a little Tascam unit to get familiar with multi-track procedures. Learn to 'bounce' tracks and how to get the best microphone placement....effects....instrument levels.....

It all sounds easy, but it is not and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Too many people buy Cubase or Pro Tools LE and assume they will master a learning curve sufficient to use those programs.

FORGET IT. Start with baby steps and you will not only be happier - you will be a better engineer. Plus, you learn at your own pace and as you learn, you decide what the next equipement will be best for you.

I opened a pro studio in 1978. I now have a pretty decent home studio I am proud of - it's a never-ending quest!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Hi there,

Jemaholic is right IMHO. Start off slow, there are soooo many choices, and you could end of blowing money on things that you don't currently need, or that might just plain frustrate you. Check out a tascam 4 track or the like, learn how to bounce tracks, get a SM7 or the like, a DI box for bass, Behringher makes some that aren't too bad, and relatively cheap, a boom stand, some headphones, and some cables, and a drum machine. Check out your local book store for some recording text books. Not that there is only one way to do things, but it sure helps on the learning curve! You could have this set up for well under 1,000 and have the ability to start creating, and learning at the same time.

Of course we could discuss mic placement and what mics sound the best, what gear is better, etv forever, but if you want to get going, and learn how to do it well, its best to start with the basics. After all, FTLOG, was not the first song you learned how to play was it? Take baby steps, get gear as you need it, not as you want it, and you'll be way happier in the long run, and have the ability to become a great engineer. Good luck to you
tobe is online  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
Hi there,

Jemaholic is right IMHO. Start off slow, there are soooo many choices, and you could end of blowing money on things that you don't currently need, or that might just plain frustrate you. Check out a tascam 4 track or the like, learn how to bounce tracks, get a SM7 or the like, a DI box for bass, Behringher makes some that aren't too bad, and relatively cheap, a boom stand, some headphones, and some cables, and a drum machine. Check out your local book store for some recording text books. Not that there is only one way to do things, but it sure helps on the learning curve! You could have this set up for well under 1,000 and have the ability to start creating, and learning at the same time.

Of course we could discuss mic placement and what mics sound the best, what gear is better, etv forever, but if you want to get going, and learn how to do it well, its best to start with the basics. After all, FTLOG, was not the first song you learned how to play was it? Take baby steps, get gear as you need it, not as you want it, and you'll be way happier in the long run, and have the ability to become a great engineer. Good luck to you
That sounds pretty straightforward to me. I think I still might pick up a cheap drum set and a couple of mics, because I'm not big on stuff like drum machines. I'm not really all that concerned with the way everything sounds, at the moment. Right now, I just wanna get my feet wet.

I've already decided, based on your guys' advice, that I'm just going to get a multi track unit, and skip all the overly complicated crap that comes with computers.

And FYI, FTLOG actually was the first song I learned. Not the entire song, but pretty much the entire beginning.

Mastering that was incredibly helpful in developing my vibrato and sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion View Post
This is a huge topic, and you'd be best doing TONNES of your own research on this topic aswell as asking for advice, which is I'm sure what you're doing

In my opinion, regarding drums, you are most definately not going to get good results by micing up a proper drum kit on a budget, I'd suggest you definately look into the various VSTs you can buy, I recommend fxpansion's BFD, some people also like drumkit from hell, but I haven't tried this.

To be honest your options in regards to guitars/basses are to continue micing up, which regarding on your budget again, could work, although you'd have to spend a lot of time using trial and error to get some good practise regarding micing techniques. I'd just suggest again that you compromise and go for a direct in approach for both bass and guitar, I have 2 pod xts (guitar and bass), for demo recordings they're invaluable, and when you learn how to use them properly you can get some decent sounds out them, of course the guitar isn't going to sound completely realistic, but it's by the most practical, easiest and cheapest method.

Are you wanting to use a PC to record? Or are you looking to use a stand-alone unit? If you're going for PC, are you sure it's powerful enough? Using a very old PC will restrict the amount of VSTs and effects you can use in your recordings, so it's good to make sure you're going to be OK in this department first.

For soundcards and audio interfaces on a budget, M-Audio and E-mu are good manufacturers, I've used M-Audio for a while, and am now using E-mu. I find E-mus software much easier to use and impliment in the sequencer I choose to use (Cubase SX 3), a lot of their soundcards also come with bundled effects, their patchmix utility is very useful as it features a whole host of effects which will be very useful if this is your first venture into this kind of recording and especially if you're on a budget.

To be honest, you'll find all the information you need to know on many many forums spread about the net, good places to start are obviously here, harmony central (is that forum still going? can't remember), the petrucci forum, and googling for general reviews of equipment you've heard good things about - This is pretty much all I've ever done to research recording equipment and I've got a setup that works well for me.
Believe me, I have been doing research! But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask a few veterans who've been doing this sort of thing since before I was even born. Know what I mean?

My PC sucks, and I'm not all that computer savvy, so I think I'd be better served with an old fashioned multi track unit. People have been doing it that way for a long time, so it should be just fine for me.

Thanks for the help, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I would start with a SIMPLE multi-track all-in-one unit like an old BR-8 or a little Tascam unit to get familiar with multi-track procedures. Learn to 'bounce' tracks and how to get the best microphone placement....effects....instrument levels.....

Too many people buy Cubase or Pro Tools LE and assume they will master a learning curve sufficient to use those programs.

FORGET IT. Start with baby steps and you will not only be happier - you will be a better engineer. Plus, you learn at your own pace and as you learn, you decide what the next equipement will be best for you.

I opened a pro studio in 1978. I now have a pretty decent home studio I am proud of - it's a never-ending quest!
I probably will end up getting an old multi track unit. To be honest, I'm not all that savvy when it comes to PC's, so that'd probably be my best bet.

What do you think of this? Is this okay to start off with? All I want to do is familiarize myself with all of this, then I'll move on to better things.

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inv....asp?id=557263

Yeah, I didn't think it would be easy. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

BTW, just bear with me, guys. I'm an absolute, total n00b when it comes to all of this, so it's likely that I'm gonna get confused once or twice. And excuse me if I sound like a moron.

And thanks all of you, for your advice. I appreciate it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Salamander:

Just remember if you are going to mic a kit, you might want to get a cheap little mixer, like a behringer or something. Some 4 tracks can only record two tracks at a time. Depends on the model. If you are going to mic the kit w/ more than 2 mics, you will def. need a mixer. However, if you get a couple okay condenser mics, you can get a pretty decent sound with a stereo mic placement set up. Another thing to consider, espcially with the drums, is how do you plan on tracking? Live? Then you will need more headphones, a headphone amp, etc. If you are going to track indivdually, you will need some sort of click, ie drum machine, to help you stay in time while you lay down your basic tracks. Good luck!
tobe is online  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:50 PM

If you're after an all in one unit, then these: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/br-900/67805 seem to be very popular with a lot of people, you can burn what you've recorded straight to a CD too. 8 tracks too, whereas the Tascam you linked to can only record 4, and it's tape.

We'd be able to give you better suggestions if you can give us some kind of budget Clearly though it's going to make sense to start off with something half decent, the Boss I recommended also has built in stereo effects, so you'll be able to get to grips with the effects which will become part of your everyday recording life eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
Believe me, I have been doing research! But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask a few veterans who've been doing this sort of thing since before I was even born. Know what I mean?
Oh yes definately ask questions In my opinion half the fun of getting into a project like this is doing all of the research When I first started wanting my a home recording setup I thought you only needed MIDI cables to record things Trial and error is the only way!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
Salamander:

Just remember if you are going to mic a kit, you might want to get a cheap little mixer, like a behringer or something. Some 4 tracks can only record two tracks at a time. Depends on the model. If you are going to mic the kit w/ more than 2 mics, you will def. need a mixer. However, if you get a couple okay condenser mics, you can get a pretty decent sound with a stereo mic placement set up. Another thing to consider, espcially with the drums, is how do you plan on tracking? Live? Then you will need more headphones, a headphone amp, etc. If you are going to track indivdually, you will need some sort of click, ie drum machine, to help you stay in time while you lay down your basic tracks. Good luck!
I think I'm going to do a little more homework. You're speaking Greek to me.

I'll get back to you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion View Post
If you're after an all in one unit, then these: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/br-900/67805 seem to be very popular with a lot of people, you can burn what you've recorded straight to a CD too. 8 tracks too, whereas the Tascam you linked to can only record 4, and it's tape.

We'd be able to give you better suggestions if you can give us some kind of budget Clearly though it's going to make sense to start off with something half decent, the Boss I recommended also has built in stereo effects, so you'll be able to get to grips with the effects which will become part of your everyday recording life eventually.

Oh yes definately ask questions In my opinion half the fun of getting into a project like this is doing all of the research When I first started wanting my a home recording setup I thought you only needed MIDI cables to record things Trial and error is the only way!
It looks to me like they don't sell those particular units outside of Europe. That's odd.

And when I say "low budget", I really mean low budget. I work a crap job at Meijer's, and I pay two utilities every month, so that doesn't leave me with a whole lot of spending money.

Thanks a lot, you guys. I appreciate your patience and insight.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 AM

Reviews: 13

There is some very good advice there guys.

Try here as well for some additonal advice;

http://www.homerecording.com/

- Wolfram
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post

great advice. i started recording back in 1996 with a tascam 414mk2. learned the hard ways of recording through bouncing and panning with just 4 tracks of analog tape. moving from that to minidisc was just a tad easier, but still confusing. after i went through all of that PC based DAWs seemed like a walk in the park. when you learn the hard way, you can truly appreciate the simplicity of today's technology. i use a pc with sonar 6 pe and can pretty much fly through it, only because i relate alot of the shortcuts and techniques to old analog recording. i would recommend if you start, get a decent standalone DAW like the fostex vf160 for more tracks, but for basics a small 4 track digital should be good. my favorite of the "newer" units was the yamaha aw16g. its discontinued, so that means you can find it on the cheap. if you just have to go with a computer based rig, there is typically some software bundled with whhatever interface you choose. i recommend the m-audio stuff or the line 6 toneports. the new lecicon lambdas look promising as well. have fun on this new little journey that is recording.

rich
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
great advice. i started recording back in 1996 with a tascam 414mk2. learned the hard ways of recording through bouncing and panning with just 4 tracks of analog tape. moving from that to minidisc was just a tad easier, but still confusing. after i went through all of that PC based DAWs seemed like a walk in the park. when you learn the hard way, you can truly appreciate the simplicity of today's technology. i use a pc with sonar 6 pe and can pretty much fly through it, only because i relate alot of the shortcuts and techniques to old analog recording. i would recommend if you start, get a decent standalone DAW like the fostex vf160 for more tracks, but for basics a small 4 track digital should be good. my favorite of the "newer" units was the yamaha aw16g. its discontinued, so that means you can find it on the cheap. if you just have to go with a computer based rig, there is typically some software bundled with whhatever interface you choose. i recommend the m-audio stuff or the line 6 toneports. the new lecicon lambdas look promising as well. have fun on this new little journey that is recording.

rich
Yeah, I'd rather learn it the old fashioned way, myself. I don't plan on taking any shortcuts, because that usually just makes things more difficult later on.

Thanks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
There is some very good advice there guys.

Try here as well for some additonal advice;

http://www.homerecording.com/

- Wolfram
Wow! Thanks, Wolfram. That's a great link.

This is all still a little overwhelming to me.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 PM

Get an Apple. as much time and money my parents have spent on microsoft, garage band just is flawless. and you can get mixers and stuff, and its a good computer aswell. (i think). and if ur doing it in a garage sound proof that bitch! cardboard, and old carpet on the wall will save you random outside noises and keep your neighbors from killing u. to make a sound booth i suggest using a corner of the room and an old matress to make a 3 sided booth. or you could use litle hooks or loop things with screw ends on em and put those into your wall, then run a rope, or wire, across the two hooks. hang a sleepingbag, a comforter or one of those things u sleep on while camping (kinda like a yoga mat). and you do that to section off a room, or do that a few times and make booths. thats my 2cents. and also get some recording equip, 8 track is fine, but using a program and ur effects into a computer is the best. an ok/mediocer recording program for free (besides the pos voice recorder on windows) is audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
computers are teh best way to go, especially macs, cuz u can easily put it on an ipod or cd to listen and distribute. Mac route is a bit expensive, so tell ur parents u need a new computer, or buy a mac mini. oh and dont forget, u need some sort of ventilation: maybe some shop vac tubes rigd to go out the window or somthing? just make sure that air can come in but not noise (tricky, try the hang wire wit sheets thing)
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM

sorry bout double posting but i cant edit (wth?)!!!
i saw an add at the top of [email protected] @SH yesterday, and it had like those foam things that u put on the wall for sound proofing. And these actually looked good! 129bucks for somthing, im not sure what tho.
im a go look to find it:\
just google studio foam or soundproofing foam... $200bucks can get u everythign to cover all walls er somthing... i dont really want to get suspended lol soo....
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 80's View Post
sorry bout double posting but i cant edit (wth?)!!!
i saw an add at the top of [email protected] @SH yesterday, and it had like those foam things that u put on the wall for sound proofing. And these actually looked good! 129bucks for somthing, im not sure what tho.
im a go look to find it:\
just google studio foam or soundproofing foam... $200bucks can get u everythign to cover walls er somthing... i dont really want to get suspended lol soo....
Do a little more reading on this topic first before you potentially waste a lot of money.

- Wolfram

Tags
audio interface , condenser mic , david mccarroll , drum tracks , fruity loops , local music shop , multi track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode