Help me spend $650 to improve tone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Help me spend $650 to improve tone

Yep, it's my birthday and I have managed to score $650. I want to use this money to finally be satisfied with my tone. I want this to be designed to play in the bedroom so it will be nice if it sounds good both at high and low volumes. Basically I have a Digitech RP350 going through a KRK Rokit 6 that sounds pretty good but it is missing something (maybe just a bigger speaker) and I want to really feel my tone and I want it to be fatter and nicer. I would like to be completely satisfied when the money is spent and not need to get anything else. So if any pedals or effects are needed I would like to have it included in this price.

So let me have your ideas. I have asked similar questions in the past but wasn't planning on having this much money to work with when I asked them. I appreciate and respect all your ideas and opinions and always learn a lot when you all answer my questions... Thanks

Right now I am debating:

Buying a nice bedroom tube amp
Getting a rack unit
Using powered PA speakers for the RP350
Saving up more money to buy something better than I can get with $650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Help me spend $650 to improve tone

Seriously man, I went though this myself not to long ago, Do yourself a favor, Tell Sebastin what your looking to do, and he will tell what you need.

I had an awesome tone in the living room, but once I stepped out everything went to crap, once you added any kinda of volumn!
I spent tons of $$$ on heads, effects, cabs, I seriously have more stuff sitting here than most guitar stores.
One conversation with him, and I have been set ever since.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Cool Jimmy... If he doesn't chime in here I'll PM him. He recommended the Peavey Vypyr before and also some Rocktron rack pieces. What did you end up getting?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
Cool Jimmy... If he doesn't chime in here I'll PM him. He recommended the Peavey Vypyr before and also some Rocktron rack pieces. What did you end up getting?
LOL, both!
I got the rocktron Volicity 250 watt amps. They F'n pound!

And I have a interview at our local Rock Station, I will be the guest DJ on WKLT 97.5 FM this friday, and they dont have the space for me to bring in a small cab and rack gear, I had to have a small combo amp period, So I ask him what he thought, last week tues I went to town, and tried the Vypyr, DAMN that man knows his sh!t period. I bought the 30 watt combo, Great little unit!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm'n Jimmy View Post
LOL, both!
I got the rocktron Volicity 250 watt amps. They F'n pound!

And I have a interview at our local Rock Station, I will be the guest DJ on WKLT 97.5 FM this friday, and they dont have the space for me to bring in a small cab and rack gear, I had to have a small combo amp period, So I ask him what he thought, last week tues I went to town, and tried the Vypyr, DAMN that man knows his sh!t period. I bought the 30 watt combo, Great little unit!
LOL... Did you try the tube 60 Vypyr? If so was there much difference?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM

If you want to end the spending right hear, get a Rocktron Prophecy $400-$450 at GC Website, Used.
It will make any tone at any volume, if you know what you are doing with it.
If you don't know what you're doing with it, I do!
If you want to hear mine, come over.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Well, I can only tell what I did. I was looking for something to play in the bedroom as well, but I also wanted it to accept some higher volumes if needed. So I bought a Laney LV-200. It's solid state, but has a tube pre-amp which makes quite a difference. The high gain stuff is not very good though. So for that I got a distortion pedal that also has a tube. Sounds awesome. In my case, I got a Meteoro Revolution, which is brazillian made. But there are options from other makers, including Rocktron.

I also pretty much dumped my Boss GT-10. That things sucks tone like I've never seen. I was worried that I might miss a compressor, but so far using only the Laney, Meteoro distortion and a Boss DD-3, I'm quite satisfied. Thinking about selling the GT-10 to get a couple more pedals.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Reviews: 6

I would get Avid Eleven Rack with Protools for $675 at BH Photo and it is free shipping and no tax outside NY.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks Viper.. if I get the Laney looks like I would have to get it used.

Sebastian, is that the Velocity I or II? I'm kinda thinking rack equipment as I have heard great things about them and I know that is what you use. However, what else would I have to get to make this work? I'm thinking power amp, some kind of pedal and speaker cabinet? That might blow my budget out unless I keep saving. Did you ever try the 11rack?

11rack.. I somehow knew you were going to recommend this before I read your post I think this is the same deal as what Sebastian recommended. I'll have to save up more money and get everything else with it. What pedal do you use to control yours?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 6

I currently don't use any midi controller but I have been looking to get a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro MIDI Foot Controller. I believe it is about $399. I only used the Eleven Rack to do recording and I play live using my Mesa Dual Rect with a Mesa Vert. 2x12. I use the Eleven rack with a QSC K8. Looking to get another K8, so I can run it in stereo and maybe the Ground Control so I can use it live.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Chrisf, seriously go over to sebastians and play through his rig, Do yourself a favor AND DO THIS!
A wise man learns from his mistakes, A WISER MAN ( you in this case) Learns from others (MINE!) mistakes. LOL

Over all this will save you a ton of money, and you will have the tone you seek.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If you want to end the spending right hear, get a Rocktron Prophecy $400-$450 at GC Website, Used.
It will make any tone at any volume, if you know what you are doing with it.
If you don't know what you're doing with it, I do!
If you want to hear mine, come over.
This! The Man speaks words of truth!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM

If you are mainly playing in your bedroom... I'd go with a Vypyr. I have a tiny 15 watt one and I prefer some of the tones on it to my half stack.

If you were to get a tube amp I would recommend an Xotix BBP comp preamp pedal to go with it. Its like putting you tube amp on steroids. they are expensive but worth every penny
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Reviews: 120

http://www.***************.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

Sounds great at low volume, and perfect for gigs if you are doing that sort of thing.

EDIT: sorry, the hashes are m u s i c i a n s f r i e n d
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 AM

You can use the Rocktron Prophecy through the amp you have now and get a power amp when you have the money.

Rocktron has several Velocity Rack Power amps, only some of them are Xtra special.

Velocity 150
Velocity 250
Velocity 300, both versions

Skip any of the other ones.

I have three different MIDI floorboards for my rigs.
(2) ADA MXC with Quad Switch and Continuous Controller (aka Expression Pedal)
(1) Rocktron All Access Foot Controller with two HEX (Expression Pedals)

Rocktron just came out with a new MIDI floorboard called the MIDI Raider.
t is the exactly the same as the All Access but with a steel case instead of Aluminum, for 1/3 the price.
I called Rocktron and talked to them about it.
It has the same brains and now it is made in China to cut the cost.

Buy used gear whenever possible, I always do.

I have four different rack rigs and a 2x12 combo amp.
Come over and try out the gear so your ears can have a base line for tone.
I have many different Picks to try through the rigs as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode