Help with a Mix I'm working on... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Help with a Mix I'm working on...

Any chance any of you guys could have a quick listen to a quick guitar mix I'm working on?

Im trying to get a good recording tone out of my new Marshall, and after following the advice I've read around the place I've come up with this so far...

I don't plan on making anything out of it, it was just a quick solo and widdle over an easy riff (which i half stole from a Satriani tune, though I've used it rather differently ). It's just a bit of a practice to get a good starting point and a few stored Reverb and EQ settings before i record something decent.

Unfortunately, I cant add any drums yet as I haven't bought EZ Drummer for my Macbook, and I havent got the time (or skill for that matter!) to make any midi samples to use Battery. I might order it tomorrow though so I may be able to complete the mix soon.

The samples were all recorded from the Marshall JVM into a Palmer PDI-03. The rhythm's are double tracked and panned left and right. Using Cubase I've added a little reverb to try to recreate the tone of a real miced amp. There's also a little delay over the lead.

I've EQ'd out the bottom end from the guitars, and a little from the high end to eliminate the fizz. I've tried to keep the upper frequencies reserved for the drums, and the lower frequencies for the bass.

Even though there's no drums or bass yet, how do you guys feel the guitars sound? Do they sound real? Or do they still have that "direct recorded" sound. I've been working on for a few hours, so my ears have kinda adjusted to it.

http://andrew.williams.name/music/MixDemo.mp3

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 PM

Re: Help with a Mix I'm working on...

sounds AWESOME!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 10:08 PM

The tones are good. There is something going on with the panning of the rhy. tracks that seems a little off. We you trying for a ping pong effect on the rhythm tracks? Def. a great starting point, nice job!
tobe is online  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

The playing on the rhythm wasnt very tight, it was done really quickly just to get the general effect of the double tracking. Im pretty sure I even played the riff differently in one bit. If i was recording a tune properly, I'd make sure I learnt the rhythm a bit better .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 AM

the lead tone is great. rythm sound not so great, maybe it's just a matter of balancing them properly, maybe it's just my taste. I like a bit more low end on rythem guitars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I didn't want to put too much bass as it would overstep into the frequencies of the bass.

After listening to a few albums, I'm thinking i should add a little more presence, as the guitars sound a little soft.

Once i get EZ drummer running I'll get a proper mix with everything together...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM

I'm sure that once a bass drum and bass guitar will be added, the low end will be covered and the whole rythm section will sound better.

Tags
bass drum , marshall jvm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode